Where are your car keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if someone pushes the hood down and locks it?
You are right, of course. I use a wedge by the hook.

There are also battery thieves, but nothing is fool proof.

I had a key made from my electronic one. The copy isn't electronic, so it won't start the car, but it will open the doors. I keep that in my bc pocket at all times - when diving, I hide the real key inside the car, and use this copy to open it up when I get out of the water.

I do this but store the copy in a lock similar to this:

I buddied with a guy Sat. who had a 2015 jeep with a metal key--no alarm to set with it. Didn't know that was still possible. But with the electronic key, I still bury it or hide it prior to the dive. I have had metal keys cut, but of course they get you in the car and set off the alarm and I hate that.

I am planning to get a plain key cut that I can take with me under water which will allow me to unlock the doors and get access to the main key which will be stored in the car (and can reset the alarm etc).

This stems from an issue on a previous dive where I left my keys with someone's kit that wasn't supposed to be diving but when I surfaced, he was getting out of the water with my keys still in his kit. Turns out that a modern remote key doesn't respond to well to seawater (it did clean out ok and after cleaning it and drying it works well to this day)

since you are discussing shore diving, are you using a float/flag? A modest form of a dry box (even an old/spare dive light) clipped to the float so it sees minimal pressure (or you if it is pressure rated) works....

plain key inside my dry suit!

All this complication. Valet keys come with most new cars these days, free if you remember to ask for them beforehand, and then it's a non issue. Opens the doors, starts the car. Some won't open the glove box or trunk (not like that on my car) but other than that they work just fine. Now, if you've bought a used car, then you'll likely have to pick one up from the dealer (at a ridiculous price) or a locksmith (at a much more reasonable price).

All this complication. Valet keys come with most new cars these days, free if you remember to ask for them beforehand, and then it's a non-issue. Opens the doors, starts the car. Some won't open the glove box or trunk (not like that on my car) but other than that they work just fine. Now, if you've bought a used car, then you'll likely have to pick one up from the dealer (at a ridiculous price) or a locksmith (at a much more reasonable price).

um, not really.... With some of the anti-theft systems employed today, many keys are "chipped". The Valet key you speak of, is not likely submergible... I had an all metal key cut that lets me get in the door, but will not start the vehicle. I leave the "chipped" key in the truck, hidden, and dive with the "entry only" key around my neck.

Also, many new systems have a proximity detection system employed where the doors unlock when touched if the key is nearby. Others will not let you lock the door with the key inside the vehicle...

All problems.....

I just picked up a portable key lock (like is used by real estate agent). I have a couple tow points on my car, and my plan is to connect it there.

I don't like the idea of attaching a chipped key to my dive float. Probably all parts of the float will touch water at some point--especially in waves or upon entry/exit while donning fins. It all gets down to the electronic chip.

Back
Top Bottom