Where are your car keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't like the idea of attaching a chipped key to my dive float. Probably all parts of the float will touch water at some point--especially in waves or upon entry/exit while donning fins. It all gets down to the electronic chip.

If you are replying to my comment, I suggested it be put in something waterproof, but kept on the float....

um, not really.... With some of the anti-theft systems employed today, many keys are "chipped". The Valet key you speak of, is not likely submergible... I had an all metal key cut that lets me get in the door, but will not start the vehicle. I leave the "chipped" key in the truck, hidden, and dive with the "entry only" key around my neck.

Also, many new systems have a proximity detection system employed where the doors unlock when touched if the key is nearby. Others will not let you lock the door with the key inside the vehicle...

All problems.....
All the valet keys I've seen are submergible, though I suppose if you're buying higher end cars they might not be. My wife's Acura valet key is submergible, as is my buddy's BMW 3 series. That's about the extent of my "high end" first hand experience though. All the Honda, Mazda, Chevy, Ford, and Toyota keys I've dealt with are submersible as well. Nissan's and the others that have push button start may be different. I haven't dealt with many of those lately.

If you are replying to my comment, I suggested it be put in something waterproof, but kept on the float....
My float is bare bones--flag held afloat by the chunk of styrophoam, and I am just someone who doesn't really trust anything waterproof. Even with a more substantial dive float, there is still the possibility of waves. Yeah, I guess this method could work like 99% of the time.

My float is bare bones--flag held afloat by the chunk of styrophoam, and I am just someone who doesn't really trust anything waterproof. Even with a more substantial dive float, there is still the possibility of waves. Yeah, I guess this method could work like 99% of the time.

Same here. Last time I was in Hawaii I used a waterproof bag to carry my car rental key. I was doing some snorkling and when I came back the bag was all wet inside. Key was a total bust. I had to go back to the rental place. since then, no more dry/waterproof bags for me.

When I shore dive if I'm Bivins dry I hide them in my drysuit if I'm diving wet I hide them under the bed liner of my truck many people like this aproached and hide their keys with mine my truck is also used as the return vehicle when we do shore drift diving

Thanks for posting this; lots of good ideas. I'm probably going to put my key in the waterproof container that has my PLB.

I just bought a new car with a key fob. Leaving it anyplace in the car will prevent doors from being locked. I think a small Faraway Cage may work to defeat it so I can just carry the mechanical key. I think I will try some lead sheet metal first.

I have yet to find a small, convient and reliable waterproof container. I have never maaged a Bonair trip where my money stayed dry all week. The small water proof box imploded at 90 feet.

I just bought a new car with a key fob. Leaving it anyplace in the car will prevent doors from being locked. I think a small Faraway Cage may work to defeat it so I can just carry the mechanical key. I think I will try some lead sheet metal first.

I have yet to find a small, convient and reliable waterproof container. I have never maaged a Bonair trip where my money stayed dry all week. The small water proof box imploded at 90 feet.

Faraday Cage

Don't do lead. It is unnecessary and not safe. Don't confuse ionizing gamma radiation with radio waves.

I have a Ford with push button start. I can lock my FOB in the car using the push-button code on the door. Other brands may work differently, but I would suggest carefully reading the manual or trying lots of different permutations. You may find a suitable solution.

repeating again: just repurpose an old dive light....:cool:

If easy enough you could also just remove the battery from your fob. My Prius fob is the same way, you can not lock the doors with the fob in the car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom