Where did I go with my force fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last Tuesday, June 23, at Rosario Beach I had the chance to try a pair of Bare Rockboots (size 8) with my Force Fins Pro (size XL, without the instep inserts), thanks to the local dive shop in Anacortes (one of the owners allowed me to rent her pair of boots). The boots felt pretty comfortable and it seemed to me that fit the fins OK (well better than the other two pair of wet suit boots that I had worn in the past).

Here is how the fins and boots looked on land:

RosarioBFFins1.jpg

On one hand the fin held the boot in place with a reasonable grip and on the other there was still a gap between the top of the boot and the top of the fin. I was not able to get my foot fully into the fin because the stiff sole of the boots are wider than the fins’ foot pockets.

RosarioBFFins2.jpg

My buddy and I surface-swam to a bunch of rocks called Urchin Rocks and the fins did not feel loose:

RosarioBFFins3.jpg

We descended into a mix of the usual salt green water, yellowish-whitish particles that reminded me of something like fluffy corn meal and shredded algae that reduced the visibility to about 3 feet. We began to swim to reach a small wall that was part of one of Urchin Rocks. There the current picked up a bit so we decided against swimming around it. Even at 36 feet (our max depth) the water did not become clearer. Around here the visibility usually gets better with depth but this time it did not happen. At this site the bottom levels out at depths in the 30 ft. range. We could not escape that visual misery by descending deeper because there was no depth to go to unless, perhaps, we swam further out away from the rocks into a huge channel rather busy with boat traffic and whose current behavior we did not know. So as planned we put up with the frustrating visibility.

It was while I was swimming underwater that I felt that my feet began to move sideways despite the fact that the boots were securely inserted in the fins. It seemed to me that it was more difficult to swim in that way. On my left foot I was wearing a thick wool sock and a neoprene sock, on my right foot two thick wool socks. Both materials compressed in the same amount so wool or neoprene did not make a different and my feet, besides not being very stable inside the boots, got cold as well. I am breaking my brain to understand the reason why this set up did not work out in the way that I had hoped for. Maybe I did not tighten the boots’ laces enough, my socks were simply too thin or the boots were still too big.:shakehead:

I tried to keep the swimming to an absolute minimum. The fins did not respond in the same way as when I had worn them with neoprene socks and wet suit boots. It was harder to kick, I guess. I desperately tried to keep my fins off the bottom as well more than usual. Every single kelp blade and organism (except for fish and shrimp) was covered in various degrees with that fluffy cornmeal that at the lightest water movement would turn into a cloud that reduced the visibility practically to zero. I felt as if I was swimming in a cave instead of open water. For the first time my buddy and I were consuming air at the same rate! (Does it mean that my air consumption is getting better?)

When it was time to turn around we began to swim back. It was a long way to Rosario Beach following what looked like a plateau 30 ft deep. It was all covered with kelp. Our return was a slow swim of missing photographic opportunities. A lot of animals were hiding underneath the kelp so at first glance there was absolutely nothing to see. Then a bright orange-yellow gunnel appeared from underneath a kelp blade and rested in full view for a while but not long enough. As usual in this kind of circumstance I was not ready for it. The camera, which is positively buoyant, was floating somewhere around me and it took me a while to grab it and get it ready to shoot. By then the fish got scared and without further ado swiftly disappeared again underneath the seaweed (I think it was a kelp gunnel). Later on I spotted a fish that looked like a kelp greenling but it was solid orange-yellow-brownish. Once again I wasted precious seconds in locating the camera and getting it ready. The fish did not give me the chance to press the release button: it was gone in a flash as if I had set on fire its caudal fin.:depressed:

We kept moving along the kelp bed and I don’t know how but I was able to spot a small invertebrate that I had never seen before clinging on a blade of kelp. It must have been less than 1 inch long.

StalkedMedusa1.jpg

Uh?

It was a stalked medusa.:)

StalkedMedusa2.jpg

The marine world has so many ways to marvel us if we sharpen our eyes and do not judge what we see or don’t see by size alone.

After being in the water for 55 minutes my entire body was cold. I could not use my hands to undo my gear and my feet were further locked in my Force Fins. I had to get my buddy to stand on my fins so I could pull my feet out.

RosarioBFFins4.jpg

My next steps are to buy thicker socks and try those Bare Rock Boots again and, at the same time, look for Converse Allstars (as fisheater and my buddy suggested) and try them on in the store.

Wish me good luck!:wink:

Voila’

Soakediontra, Makes me wish I was underwater with you. Wonderful photo's. You, put me in a hope fully mood for Mankind. Seeing how you have shared the small things in life makes the fare well service of my good friend Zachary Wright Miller today ...... I will smile before I go asleep. Love Bob Evans

Once again a great read!! Bob are sitting here just looking at the great photos. We decided to make it our desktop image. Thanks again. I am now asking them to let me leave headquarters and go get wet for a quick shore dive! Thanks for the inspiration.

uAuh! Great!:)

Can you actually dive from the beach in downtown Santa Barbara? I have been there once. I remember a long pier with car traffic:shakehead: At that time I was not a diver.

I hope you had a good one!

cheers

Last edited:
Soakediontra, Makes me wish I was underwater with you. Wonderful photo's. You, put me in a hope fully mood for Mankind. Seeing how you have shared the small things in life makes the fare well service of my good friend Zachary Wright Miller today ...... I will smile before I go asleep. Love Bob Evans

Sorry to read about your friend. Sambolino44 and I did not know who Zachary Wright Miller was so we looked him up on Google. I am glad that I was able to cheer you up a little. Lately these posts are also helping me to find something positive to hang on to.

Recently several people whom I esteemed a lot passed away! One of them was a fellow artist who died at 46, my age. I attended her memorial a week ago.

I have been to Santa Barbara once. Why not coming there for a second time and go diving together? Life is too short! :wink:

Cheers

uAuh! Great!:)

Can you actually dive from the beach in downtown Santa Barbara? I have been there once. I remember a long pier with car traffic:shakehead: At that time I was not a diver.

I hope you had a good one!

cheers

You sure can. East of the Pier is just sand, but I have used it as a traing ground for many courses. If you have a boat there is reef at 100 FSW. The pier can be fun with occasional good vis- Not so much in the summer- West of the Pier is Leadbetter and you go out to a shallow reef there as well.

Last Sunday I took one of my Force Fins to the local Payless ShoeSource store to try a pair of Airwalk High Kicks (something similar to high tops) with thicker woolly socks, the neoprene sock of my dry suit and, of course, the fin.

ShoeShop1.jpg

After a couple of failed attempts to cram in all those layers in a size 9 and 9 and 1/2 I had to give in and try a # 10:depressed::

ShoeShop2.jpg

ShoeShop3.jpg

The other few customers in the store were a bit puzzled by what I was doing. I guess they have never seen a Force Fin in a fashion shoe store before. One guy in particular seemed rather intrigued and pretended to look at lady shoes when I was not looking in his direction while I had the feeling that he was glancing at me when I was looking the other way! When my buddy and I began to take pictures with our camera everybody steered clear from view.

The canvas shoe felt a bit tight but the discomfort was bearable. Thinking that once underwater the pressure would have compressed the socks, a little bit of extra ‘tightness’ may have been helpful to hold my foot to inside the shoe still. I shook my foot in various ways:

ShoeShop5.jpg

ShoeShop6.jpg

I did not get any cramps so I decided to give them a chance and bought them. The design on the shoes also almost matched one of my buddy’s tattoos! UUUaaauuhhuuu!:D

ShoeTatoo.jpg

…Just kidding…They were on sale and cost $ 20 without tax!:wink:

At the cash register when I told the shop assistant that I was going to take those shoes underwater to scuba dive she pointed with one finger at the printed design on the canvas and with a sad voice remarked “…but what about the design? It will be ruined!” and I replied “ well with the dry suit down to my ankles and my feet inserted in the Force Fins nobody would be able to see the design at all!” . She then smiled and while she was sliding the shoe box inside a plastic bag said “If you buy another pair you get one for free! Have a good day!”.

I really hope that these High Kicks are going to work underwater. Today I am going to talk to the oral surgeon again. My upper gum is healing fast but still it doesn’t feel completely right so I will wait until next anyway before thinking to go diving again.

Safe dive fun to the divers who can splash!:)

Recently Bob Evans was boarding an airplane and looked up to see a fellow traveler walking to the plane with none other than his own trusty Original Force Fins attached to his backpack.
ff_traveler_be.jpg

ff_traveler1_be.jpg

The gentleman told Bob he has been using them for body surfing, snorkeling, and SCUBA diving for the last ten years and they are the perfect fins for all of his travels and water activities.

Since we are talking about travel - Bob would like to offer the first person who can tell us where the below photo was taken and what dive shop organized the trip a Free Force Fin hat. Good luck and thanks for playing!
sealab%20gang1.jpg

JOSŽÉ;4531850:
As I have envy of your photos, I found this picture on my Mac from a wreck diving in Tenerife with my FFPRO

Regards
Saludos

3685396038_6dc430810d.jpg

Ola! Buceador de Santa Cruz deTenerife!

Me gusta mucho esta fotografia!

Feliz Seguro Bucear!:)

Ciao!

Since we are talking about travel - Bob would like to offer the first person who can tell us where the below photo was taken and what dive shop organized the trip a Free Force Fin hat. Good luck and thanks for playing!
sealab%20gang1.jpg

Well...It is definitively a warmer location than the Pacific Northwest. The flat shore with white sand reminds me of Belize. I have never been to the Florida Keys but I believe that there the shore is that flat with white sand too! Huuumm! It could be somewhere in the Bahamas, though...:confused:

Can you tell that I have done my homework?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom