Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monday I dove solo dive #66 at Troy Springs in Branford Florida.The water temp was 69 (pretty much that or 70 all year long) visibility was 60-70 ft.

Although it was a beautiful sunny and cold day (air temp -5C) in Humber Bay, Toronto, the viz was a milky 2 ft maximum, a real braille dive, thanks to the big snowstorm yesterday and water flooding out of the Humber River.

Water temp 35F, and a couple of pics of the dive site.
clear blue x.jpgdive site 2x.JPGgoing 3x.jpgafter dive 1x.jpg

Lake Barrine- Atherton Tabelands, Qld, Oz. First time diving this lake, usually dive it's sister crater lake- Eacham. Vis was low, 2m max, but a few fun little critters about, including the eel who tried to eat my fin.

IMG_16543.jpg

Puako beach, Big Island, Hawaii

I've been solo diving this week on the Kona side of the big island of Hawaii. My first time to this island.

I've been soloing with an AL80 on my back and carrying an AL50 stage.

The Puako area is really close to my hotel, and the diving is good, so that's were I've been going. It's pretty cool to hear whale songs during all of the dives. :)

Last night I went out at the road's end just as the sun went down. I actually left my light turned off, and swam around in the dark. It was freaky cool, navigating around by looking at the dark shapes and shadows all around me. I turned my light on right at the end, in the shallows, so I wouldn't bang into the reef (and so I could find the little beach at which to exit).

Today I went out at Puako again, and heard a pod of whales approaching. I swam out towards open ocean to see if I could see the whales, as their songs were getting louder and louder. The reef ended in a sand slope that seemed to drop into the abyss, so I went down and down the slope. I went down to about 120 feet and got narc'd pretty good. So I thought I would enjoy the rapture of the deep and the whale songs. I settled in the sand on my back and listened to whale songs for a good long time, pretty narc'd the whole time. Wow.

Today I tried a different approach. When I heard the whales getting closer, I stayed at 60 feet and swam out into blue water. I don't think I was narc'd at 60 feet but it sure felt like it, sitting out there in blue water with no references and whale songs reverberating in my head. I just slowly spun around in circles, hoping to see a whale appear out of the blue. The whale songs got really loud again, but no luck in seeing anything. What a freaky solo dive that was.

Three more days of solo diving, and then my girlfriend is flying out here. We're going to move south of Kona for some boating diving at that time.

Have fun, be safe out there.

Last Friday morning I left Rhode Island at the first sign of snowflakes and drove south. Arrived in High Springs late on Saturday and beginning on Sunday I have been solo diving the underwater caves at Ginnie Springs, Little River Springs and Cow Springs. The weather has been ideal (mid 70s to low 80s) with low humidity. Today I dove Cow Springs and Little River Springs, both lovely caves in O'Brien, FL. Totally relaxing and enjoyable!

Although it was a beautiful sunny and cold day (air temp -5C) in Humber Bay, Toronto, the viz was a milky 2 ft maximum, a real braille dive, thanks to the big snowstorm yesterday and water flooding out of the Humber River.

Neighbor, I admire your enthusiasm. We really should do a solo dive together sometime! :)

Did a solo dive at my local mudhole yesterday after work. There was a tremendous ebb tide yesterday, and by the time I was geared up and ready to put on my tanks and fins I was doing so under the aquarium ... where I normally do my safety stop. Nice thing is that means a very short surface swim (about 30 seconds) to kick out over the drop-off and start the dive.

Heading downslope I stopped by to say hello to our adolescent little lady wolf eel who lives in a tire. She poked her head out of her hole just far enough for a quick shot, then it was off to the bottle field to check out the little red octos who live there. After about 20 minutes in the bottle field I'd intended to head south, coming upslope and spending time checking out all the little creatures who live in the detritus off the south beach. But after passing the fishing pier I encountered the infamous "Redondo River" ... a usually-transitory current that tends to sweep downslope. Not feeling like working that hard, and having plenty of gas, I decided to just head back across the pier and come up near where I'd started ... so I let the current pull be back down and once out of it started kicking north. About halfway across I encountered an opposing current coming from the drop-off where I'd started. Crap ... gonna be work no matter which way I go, so I might as well just keep on going this way. After a moment or two of kicking and not making much headway I looked to my left, and there was this little greenling ... maybe six inches long ... struggling just as hard as I was to make headway up the slope. We swam side-by-side for a couple minutes ... occasionally looking at each other as if to say "man ... this sucks". Patience little buddy, this current usually moves off after a few minutes ... and sure enough it shortly dissipated to the point where we were able to swim into it, so me and that little fish went our separate ways.

As I approached the structures below the aquarium ... now in less than 10 feet of water due to the large ebb ... I noticed a robotic camera sitting askew on the bottom, with a cable leading up to the surface and presumably to the deck of the aquarium. Upon surfacing, I was hailed by a friend of mine who works there asking me to go down and set the camera upright for him ... apparently they were filming something for a local TV show. So I went back down and righted the camera ... setting it right in front of a shaggy-mouse nudi who was making its way toward an anemone. Surfacing again Randy gave me a thumbs up and a "perfect". And yeah ... despite the current it was a great dive. Vis was awesome, and I got some quality time with the local residents.

Here's a few pics from the dive ...

Bottle Octo 0307.jpgBottle Octo 03072.jpgCollage.jpgLittle Lady.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You are definitely mental ... well a braver man than me :)

And the alarming part is that the "he" is a "she"... :wink:

And the alarming part is that the "he" is a "she"... :wink:

:confused:

Had two solo dives today, so relaxing with a boat full of OW divers flailing around elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom