Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most unusual wildlife encounter to date: I did a shallow dive in the Wingfield Basin, Cabot Head, Ontario, to see the wreck of the Gargantua, which is mostly sticking out of the water in about 10 ft of depth. A 15 minute walk in the heatwave we are having here, in full gear plus an aluminum 30 was kind of sweaty. Then into the murk for a look around. The water temp in the Wingfield Basin was a ridiculous 79F, quite a contrast to the 41F earlier in the day below the thermocline on the wreck of the Arabia.

Why I'm mentioning this at all is that for the first time ever, I dived with two Beavers. The giant swimming rodent kind. The ones on the Canadian 5 cent coin kind. I was poking around in 8 feet of murky viz and lots of weeds around the Gargantua, and was buzzed by a Beaver. They use their tails as a kind of rudder, and most propulsion comes from their legs. I know that Beavers can be aggressive, however I'm not sure who was the most surprised, them or me. I surfaced to find them squeaking at me, and circling around. They followed me back halfway across the basin.

Here's a link to the Wingfield Basin, and the wreck, which mentions the Beavers living on the wreck itself. Who knew?
Wingfield Basin Nature Reserve
History of Cabot Head Lighthouse - The Shipwrecks

On the drive out, a black bear loped, or maybe I could say pranced, across the deserted road. All yesterday needed was for me to see a moose at 75 ft depth to make this a carnival of Canadian stereotypes.

This would be cool!

Had two solo dives yesterday, the first was at one of my favourite sites off the east coast of UAE, Car Cemetery, always a good site for nudibranchs and only 16M deep.

Spent half of the first dive photographing three nudibranchs with the 105mm and +10 wet diopter, conditions were flat calm with very little current below, but too much murk hanging around. Thankfully the four other divers on the boat were nowhere near me otherwise the visibility would have been worse than the already 3-4M.

After 77 minutes I decided to ascend reckoning that the other divers might already have done so and I was not wrong, none of them had been under for more than 45 minutes and all of them using AL80s!

I've made my first solo dive here , few days ago. It was a benign dive, 15 meters with 30 minutes, visibility around 3 meters.
The place is called Belis-Fantanele lake, there is a sunken church inside the lake. But that's for another dive, the church has its base around 30-40 meters, depending on the lake level.

Today I went solo diving here...
Air temp 1c/34f, water temp 4,5c/40f...
20131107_093802.jpg
The crap weather above the surface was one thing, the conditions below where weird..
As you can see from the topside photo, this was NOT a night dive :wink:
[video=youtube;j6VRkYpiP3A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6VRkYpiP3A[/video]

Revival time!
The site of the day...
IMG_3727.jpg
Conditions at this lake is kinda boring most of the places, but atleast I did get to properly test the new wideangle port on a relaxing dive to 24 meters
IMG_3732.jpg

10/10/14 - Solo Night Dive - L Street in Belmar NJ - here are a couple photos - that I thought were videos... Oops :D
Very calm water - very peaceful and no other divers in the water..

G0050542.jpgG0161032.jpgG0241276.jpgG0351648.jpg

I just got back from diving Bluehole and Perch lake in Santa Rosa NM after getting kicked out of the deep diver class.

Solo'ed in Jupiter Florida on the sites known as Area 51 and The Bluffs last Saturday. Caught one big spiny lobster and tickled out half a dozen that were too short to keep. We had a brisk north current and unseasonably warm water at 83 degrees with very good visibility at about 80 feet. Aside from the bumpy surface conditions, was a great day to dive.

Two magical drift dives yesterday on Clubhouse and then Gazebo in Boynton Beach, Florida. Water was 77 degrees with visibility of 60-70 feet. Green, Spotted, and Goldentail Morays, Loggerhead and Hawksbill turtles, Southern Rays, a small Reef Shark, and all the usual reef fish Boynton Beach is known for. Many absolutely huge schools of Grunts. I'm still in awe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom