Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^Stoo....are the wrecks you posted shore dives?

Either way, I can see why you would spend 'stupid' amount of time on them.

^Stoo....are the wrecks you posted shore dives?

Either way, I can see why you would spend 'stupid' amount of time on them.

No not really... unless you take a boat to the island that they are stuck to! ;-)

Tobermory is a busy diving area, and well serviced with dive boats from early May to late October. There is some very nice shore diving, but it tends to be shallower. I am fortunate to have a second home there, and a boat. The Forest City is about 6 miles from my front door...

Did three dives Thursday afternoon off of Jupiter Dive Center's boat hunting for lobster during Florida's mini-season. Had crappy bottom conditions with cold water up-welling, bad vis and unusual south bound current in Jupiter/Juno. Didn't see/catch very many legal bugs either: mostly egg bearing females and shorts which have to be released: only caught one freaking legal bug. But a bad day of lobstering is better than a good day in the office.

I know the drops from Capt Mike were good, using his own secret gps marks: one of the divers on Thursday's boat had incredible success the last day of lobster season in March on one of the same sites we tried.

I returned from a fabulous time on the M/V Spree's wreck trek to a couple more days of diving on my home reef of Boynton Beach. I did 3 fabulous solo dives on the Castor. The Goliath Grouper are starting their aggregation and there were about 25 off the starboard stern. There was modest current and the vis was pretty good. In addition to the GG there were bait balls and hunters and, on one dive, a school of hundreds of Bar Jacks swimming together. It doesn't get much better, until full aggregation in Sept.

First_Quarry_Swim_20150809b.jpg First_Quarry_Swim_20150809a.jpg

We recently moved down the street to a house in a neighborhood that comes complete with its own private quarry. (Navigate in Google Earth to "Quarry Lake, Columbia, Missouri.) My daughters and I gave the quarry our first try this morning. While my trio played on the surface, I briefly checked things out below the surface using only simple gear (swim trunks, tee shirt, snorkeling gear, Poseidon reg on a steel 72 mounted on a SS Freedom plate with Hal Pioneer 27, orally inflated).

I understand that this historic quarry supplied much of the block/brick limestone that can be seen on the older "white campus" buildings on the University of Missouri-Columbia campus.

A new level of dark water! I was surprised!! A lot of suspended particles (algae?) in this bucolic, spring-fed quarry lake. The sky was only slightly overcast, and even though I was diving in late morning (~11:00 a.m.), sunlight was unable to penetrate very deep and was blacked out almost completely at 10 ffw where there is a thermocline.

Trees and branches, evidently having fallen over time from the top of the tall bluff, reach up from the quarry floor at the base of the tall bluff. The branches are only barely visible as you descent to ~8 ffw.

I have been told by one longtime Columbia resident that the lake is no deeper than 12 ffw, and by another that the lake is "very deep" in places. Needless to say, I, wearing only my basic scuba gear, chose not to get to the bottom of this. (Pun intended.) I'll return soon wearing an exposure suit and redundancy and lights and a compass (!!) and reel (!!) and explore further.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago in Misurata, Libya, south coast of the Mediterranean sea. I am exploring the western coastline of Misurata to check where I can take my advanced course students to dive. The shoreline there is very inaccessible from shore due to unavailability of roads. We have to use military type vehicles to get to the shoreline. I am the first one to dive in some of these places (few access points to the water) and get to give them "Names." That weekend I chose to dive "Goat's Head Rocks" to explore how to enter and exit the water in this location. Swam on a Northerly direction. Lots of big boulders, little caves and patches of seagrass (Posidonia or Mediterranean tapeweed). Marine life includes crab and lots of juvenile fish of all types.

M0014887.jpg

M0014890.jpg

M0014891.jpg

M0014893.jpg

M0014894.jpg

M0014899-001.jpg

M0014900-001.jpg

M0014901-002.jpg

M0014902-001.jpg

M0014903-001.jpg

M0014904.jpg

M0014905.jpg

M0014906-001.jpg

M0014907-001.jpg

M0014908-001.jpg

M0014909.jpg

M0014910.jpg

This is what it looks like behind us :)
M0014911-001.jpg

This type of Toyota Land-cruiser is called "The Fox" in Libya. It can go places where most others can't go.
M0014915.jpg

This is the spot where I made my entry (giant stride while standing on the far tip of the rock). The exit point was 20 meters to the left/west of this point.
M0014936-001.jpg

I've been solo almost the entire season, about 26 dives. Just me and my video camera doing some coastal explorations, learning to edit the videos. Here is one of my favorites spots:

[video=youtube;gBhsxqyH2rs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBhsxqyH2rs[/video]

RJP,

The water looks slightly tannic. I think there must be a *lot* of decaying leaves (dropped from the overhanging trees) on/near the bottom. I think these decaying leaves cause both the color and the very dense black "cloud" which begins at a depth of 10 ffw or so in the places I descended.

Believe me, zebra mussels came to mind almost immediately! But, truthfully, I am ambivalent regarding them. I was able to dive several Lake Huron shipwrecks in the early- and mid-1990's, before the zebra explosion there. Despite the cloudier water then, I think the diving experience actually was much better than compared to what I see in recent videos and photos of these same shipwrecks. At that time you could actually *view* the detail on the wrecks! Now everything, every detail, is obscured by the zebras—even though the surrounding water is clearer.

Regardless, there's hope: Yesterday I was wrenching on my gear in the parking lot while my daughter and her friend were swimming. One of my neighbors stopped by and said he had been told of an old mining crane that remains submerged in the lake! So, once the water gets really cold (and kills the algae), maybe a drysuit dive or two will reveal some of the lake's submerged secrets.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Not much happening today for my dives. 3 minutes of a straight video from the GP Hero4 head camera. Palm Beach, under a barge in 80 ft of water.

I was kinda crunching the ceiling and decided to turn around.

https://youtu.be/EjpS-OOwhTU

[video=youtube_share;EjpS-OOwhTU]http://youtu.be/EjpS-OOwhTU[/video]

Back
Top Bottom