Where have they been spotted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scene: Sat. Jan 30th we have planned a baptismal service for our fledgling church in Estonia. Due to the global warming advocates all flying their respective jumbo jets to Europe and renting all the limos in the surrounding five countries to haul their sorry carcasses to the meetings, the temps have dropped to below -25° for the past month. This has caused a considerable cooling trend in our duplex that has a shared sauna area. The sauna has a large tub that we use for a baptistery. Unfortunately the exterior walls were so cold that the water instantly turned to ice while we were cleaning up. How are we going to get the water in the baptistery up to temp? We decided to purchase some portable water heaters and put them into the water.

Friday night we decided we'd better start filling the bathtub with cold water to let it sit and warm up a bit before and also put heaters in it to start the warm up process. (We don't have enough hot water supply to fill it up with hot, so we heat it up and then add some hot to it at the end.) Another problem was that the drain was put into the tub 1/2 way under the actual wall so there really is not a good and effective means to plug the drain! I had to go down every few hours to try and keep the water level up and maintain a vigil on the heaters that have a tendency to go into meltdown sometimes (they are old Soviet built: think Chernobyl). My last visit before trying to get some sleep was 1:30 AM, then I got back up at 4 a.m. to check again. I was getting a little worried that it wasn't going to heat all that water.

When I went down at 7 a.m. it all seems very warm and steamy-Thank you Lord!! (I found out that only the top layer was warm!) I had also been able to finally get the leak down to a trickle, so the heated water wasn't all wasting away down the drain! The temperature outside right now has warmed up and is running close to 0 degrees F so that helps. There is still the problem that the water is ice cold on the bottom and hot around the heaters. I needed a way to "mix" it. Hmmm...

What do I have that would move that volume efficiently??

Enter Mike's Siberian Ice-dive, duct tape modified FF Pro XXXL to the rescue!! :D
Just a "dab" (a stroke or two) will do ya!

Attachments

• 2010_0130(017).JPG
    2010_0130(017).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 2010_0130(015).JPG
    2010_0130(015).JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 2010_0130(022).JPG
    2010_0130(022).JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 2010_0130(020).JPG
    2010_0130(020).JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 2010_0130(024).JPG
    2010_0130(024).JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 2010_0130(025).JPG
    2010_0130(025).JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 2010_0130(023).JPG
    2010_0130(023).JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 2010_0130(026).JPG
    2010_0130(026).JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 134
Sibermike7- You crack me up! You could put 'em in wet suits before dunking 'em but it wouldn't be as funny and what would you do with your duct tape? Sure glad God has a since of humor!

I thought about you when I ordered my Sapphire Blue "hockey fins" (think Navy). You could order Ruby Red ones and get Bob to etch Semper Fidelis on them!

Seriously though, I like hearing about your little church and escapades and my wife and I have you on our prayer list. Joel

Good stuff! I worry more about burning up the sons of Ishmael's gas as they get a bit riled up now and again. Its hot here in Florida and I am lovin it!

As long as you sons of Isaac don't get too riled. Wish I was in Florida, only got to spend a couple of days there in Oct. (panhandle). It's in the 40's up here.

Will be bringing me fins to FL in April!! :eyebrow::eyebrow:
Can't wait!
Been -25 for so long here that I forgot what anything else was like!
(All that global warming!)

I thought I saw a pair of them once in the back of my pickup while diving with a crazy Estonian at LochLowMinn, Tn. in the Winter.:D

Attachments

• IMG003.JPG
    IMG003.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 230
Will be bringing me fins to FL in April!! :eyebrow::eyebrow:
Can't wait!
Been -25 for so long here that I forgot what anything else was like!
(All that global warming!)

Will you be passing through Tn.? I'll be at Vortex Springs in Fla. April 22-25 with the wife for Springfest. If there's a chance we can meet up, let me know. If we can dive, Great! If not, maybe we can have dinner or something. :)

mighty risky for Sailors and Marines to interact, but if the Marine doesn't navigate you might be alright. :wink:
That's why I drove us in my truck from the top of the hill down to the water at LochLowMinn. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom