Where Next? To Repeat or Adventure On?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SquidSpotter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This spring my husband and I took our kids, ages 14 and 11 on two different Carribean diving trips. We were so fortunate to have fantastic diving in both places--Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan, and then Bonaire. We got great deals on both of these trips.

Now we spend a lot of time thinking and talking about where to go on the next trip! Both experiences were so good that we are considering a repeat of either one, but I also don't want to miss out on anything.

So...I put the question to all of you--if you were diving with a 15 and 12 year old, where would you go next?

It really depends on ability.

Ability is partially definable by prior experience with varying dive situations- surface conditions, underwater variables, differences in styles of boats, all that stuff.

You mention AKR- that's about as simple as it gets. Easy boats & ladders, very warm water, no currents.

You mention Bonaire. Also, for most visitors, very simple boats and conditions. One new facet might have been shore diving.

In what conditions is the least skilled diver in your family prepared to dive safely?

The Caribbean, at least in terms of diving and available dive operations...it can be a widely variable experience.

Consider Curacao. Like Bonaire but with European flair.

Doc is right. You really need to consider diving ability and the locales conditions. I'll never recommend Tobago to you, for example.

As a child into my teens, my parents took our family to the same resort every summer. We loved it!! Loved it so much that we returned as adults.

As an adult diver, I've been numerous places but have also spent lots of time in Belize and a number of return trips to Roatan, as well. That seemed right at the time but lately I've found myself wondering if it wouldn't have been even better to spend that time and money exploring new to me places.

All that said, I'd consider returning to a place you and the kids love until they're a bit older, more experienced divers and then start getting adventurous. Win win?

You have already done 2 of the "top 15" destinations in the Caribbean. There are lots of other dive locations to try - maybe? So adventure on - try something different until you have been to enough places that you have created your own top 3.

We are vacation divers and started 20 years ago by trying someplace different every year. We now stick to our top 3 since we are old and grumpy and want a certain style of diving.

Our been-to list includes places such as: Curacao, Bequia, Tortolla, Cayman Brac, Roatan,...

Do you want a vacation where you dive or a dive vacation? It all depends on the kids. Until I saw a family in Little Cayman I would have said no but if they love diving you should look at it. We LOVE Southern Cross but most here like lcbr. SC is our most.favorite dive location in the carribean.

You have already done 2 of the "top 15" destinations in the Caribbean. There are lots of other dive locations to try - maybe? So adventure on - try something different until you have been to enough places that you have created your own top 3.

We are vacation divers and started 20 years ago by trying someplace different every year. We now stick to our top 3 since we are old and grumpy and want a certain style of diving.

Our been-to list includes places such as: Curacao, Bequia, Tortolla, Cayman Brac, Roatan,...

Bequia!! That's a great one for a family! !

Do you want a vacation where you dive or a dive vacation? It all depends on the kids. Until I saw a family in Little Cayman I would have said no but if they love diving you should look at it. We LOVE Southern Cross but most here like lcbr. SC is our most.favorite dive location in the carribean.
Thankfully the kids love to dive so a "dive vacation" is okay by them.

If you can swing the cost - two weeks in Belize one on a liveaboard and one inland doing jungle activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom