Where should I go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mescubamom

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a chance to go on spring break with my daughter and we were wondering if anyone knows how the diving would be in Antigua, Jamaica, Punta Cana, Aruba, or Riviera Maya. We have no set plans and are waiting for my travel agent friend to let me know the last minute deals. Any help would be nice on pointing us to which place to go and get out of the cold weather for seven days.
Thanks
Alice & Lacie

The Riviera Maya, Antigua and Aruba are very nice. I would probably choose the Riviera Maya or Antigua myself.

My experience diving in Jamaica was not so good. I have not been to Punta Cana. If you search this forum, you will find a few posts on PC. Some good, many not so good.

All of them should be warm though. At least compared to the water in Maine now - yikes!

Have fun.

TOM

I am in the same boat now and looking at the same places except for Riviera Maya.
I did Riviera Maya last fall.
The diving there was so so. I wasn't too impressed. I think the weather had alot to do with it though and maybe the sites we saw or didnt see. lol.
I did a trip to Coz though and the water in Coz is much better. Riviera Otherwise was very nice. We stayed at the Iberostar Tucan.
Oh and the water there. Get ready for some pretty good surges and currents. Deff takes some getting used to when you are used to calm waters.

My wife is looking at Punta Cana right now. I here all bad things about it. Like no real diving there, no fish life like at all. I heard about bad fish life in Jamaica too. I dunno what to think . Makes for a hard time to choose though. We are stuck on all inclusives and not as many as you would think in all these great places.
I hear Aruba is very nice. I am trying to lean her more towards that. I cannot say for Antigua though. I didnt do too much research on it.

Mescubamom:
I have a chance to go on spring break with my daughter and we were wondering if anyone knows how the diving would be in Antigua, Jamaica, Punta Cana, Aruba, or Riviera Maya. We have no set plans and are waiting for my travel agent friend to let me know the last minute deals. Any help would be nice on pointing us to which place to go and get out of the cold weather for seven days.
Thanks
Alice & Lacie

I've dived in Aurba and the Riviera Maya area. Cozumel and Grand Cayman stand high above those two for diving.

Diving in the Riviera Maya is fairly good, not great. Fish life is abundant, but you don't get the crystal-clear water and spectacular coral reef formations you get in places like Cozumel and the Cayman Islands. The coast there is exposed to the wind and the waves, so you get a fair amount of surge and if the wind is up, the waves get too big and you can't dive. It is not unusual for the harbor in Playa del Carmen to close. Cozumel, just offshore from the Riviera Maya area, is a spectacular place to dive and generally a fun island to visit. Pretty reasonably priced and there are great restaurants of all kinds.

Mescubamom:
Thanks
Alice & Lacie

If you are considering Aruba have you considered the island next door - Curacao?

Curacao has much better diving than Aruba but still has a lot of things to do in addition to diving.

Not to threadjack, but are there any good All Inclusives in Curacao?
I heard so so about their resorts there.

Thanks all, We have spent 10 days in Cayman and are going with the family in june to cozumel. We have dove all over the caribean via cruise ships. Never have been to curaco, that might be a good idea. Do they have all inclusives there??
Usually all inclusives are not the way we travel but without the guys going we just don't feel comfortable wondering from the hotel on our own.
Great ideas
Thank you
Alice

Unfortunatley Anitigua is not dive friendly. I've been there twice and the last time - I just cringed everytime they through that anchor overboard and it crushed the coral. :( There probably isn't any left now - that was back in 1996.

PM-Performance:
Not to threadjack, but are there any good All Inclusive in Curacao?
I heard so so about their resorts there.

Yes there are all-inclusive on Curacao.

My family and I spent two weeks at Breezes Curacao last year. We will be going to Bonaire for one week and to Curacao for the second week this summer.

We will be staying at the Golden Reef Inn on Bonaire for the first week and at Breezes Curacao for the second week.

I would be more than happy to answer any specific questions you might have about Breezes Curacao.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom