Where to attach a snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy:
I don't believe that would be DIR to have it strapped to the leg as it would be an entanglement hazard.

Nope, not a bit, keep it tucked in tight against your leg...or at least I've never had that prob. i river dive i don't carry one at all, but open water, nice to have if you have a long swim back and the dam ocean keeps breaking over your head.

river rat:
Nope, not a bit, keep it tucked in tight against your leg...or at least I've never had that prob. i river dive i don't carry one at all, but open water, nice to have if you have a long swim back and the dam ocean keeps breaking over your head.
Your goal is to be as streamlined as possible.

If you need to carry a snorkel for whatever reason, the ideal place to store it would clipped off in a wet/drysuit pocket, where it'll be out of the way and snagproof.

Small knives are placed in a sheath either on the harness belt or on the goodman handle of your primary light.

Snips go in your wet/drysuit pocket.

vodolaz:

QUOTE]

I agree, but I also wear a cavelight battery pack alongside my
tank, a helmet with the light's head mounted on it...with the vest and allit's hoses and line .......streamlining....I WISH! I always have a heck of a time just finding my vest pockets with gloves on, getting them open, getting stuff out, putting stuff back in....sheeesh. You got your snorkel laying beside your right knee, just reach down and the mouth-piece is in your hand. hey, I'm not saying mine's the best solution...just works best for me....

river rat:

I know the subject is kind of borderline on a DIR forum, but this is about safety and I don't expect some good answer on that elsewhere. I'm not DIR, I'm a recreational diver just starting to adapt to DIR to do some safer diving, and this one is an issue for me.

As I'm more comfortable knowing I can use my snorkel, this would cause less stress for me. Even with good gas management, If the boat can't see me, I would feel better at the surface with a snorkel, lift bag and a whistle (is a whistle DIR approved?, as long as it's in a pocket I assume).

I won't stick it to my leg, I lost some knives this way and I'm now moving my knive to my belt so I will keep my legs clear of entanglement risk.

I'm thinking about puting a pocket between the harness and the wing so I can grab it over my right shoulder without bothering too much the hoses.

Would that sound good ?

river rat:

I know the subject is kind of borderline on a DIR forum, but this is about safety and I don't expect some good answer on that elsewhere. I'm not DIR, I'm a recreational diver just starting to adapt to DIR to do some safer diving, and this one is an issue for me.

As I'm more comfortable knowing I can use my snorkel, this would cause less stress for me. Even with good gas management, If the boat can't see me, I would feel better at the surface with a snorkel, lift bag and a whistle (is a whistle DIR approved?, as long as it's in a pocket I assume).

I won't stick it to my leg, I lost some knives this way and I'm now moving my knive to my belt so I will keep my legs clear of entanglement risk.

I'm thinking about puting a pocket between the harness and the wing so I can grab it over my right shoulder without bothering too much the hoses.

Would that sound good ?

river rat:
vodolaz:

QUOTE]

I agree, but I also wear a cavelight battery pack alongside my
tank, a helmet with the light's head mounted on it...with the vest and allit's hoses and line .......streamlining....I WISH! I always have a heck of a time just finding my vest pockets with gloves on, getting them open, getting stuff out, putting stuff back in....sheeesh. You got your snorkel laying beside your right knee, just reach down and the mouth-piece is in your hand. hey, I'm not saying mine's the best solution...just works best for me....
Somehow I don't think that's quite 100% DIR, which is presumably the answer the original poster sought since he posted it here.

LOL about the streamlined I wish bit!

Rat--if you do that-- and you had to use your snorkel wouldnt the knife slide off your leg? Besides isnt it easier and more streamlined to to put the knife on you webbing? I agree-- with other posters that it is not very safe to attach the snorkel to the outside of your body in an entanglment area--but what if you are diving in the open ocean-- folded up in a pocket if you insist on having one, might be safer, anyways.
However there are some that will argue that diving without a snorkel is unsafe unto its self. So who can say--except that where one is diving will determine if it is an entanglement issue.

Out here in So Ca--it is against the law to dive off a beach without a snorkel... I fold it up and put it in my dry suit's pocket.

Best place to store a snorkel whilst diving is in the car.

vodolaz:
:) Somehow I don't think that's quite 100% DIR, which is presumably the answer the original poster sought since he posted it here in the DIR forum.

Would you post that elsewhere and expect some serious answers about not having the snorkel clipped to my mask :06: I'm fine with not 100% DIR this year, as long as I don't do cave/wreck Diving, it will be ok for now, 25% will be better than 0% :wink: .

Thanks all by the way, nice comments. I'll become adicted to scubaboard.

jmlavoie:

Would that sound good ?
There's not a lot of room between the plate and your wing when it's fully inflated, and when it isn't, wouldn't the pocket float around during the dive?

Thigh pockets seem like the best choice since you'll be storing other gear there anyway if you go DIR.

Back
Top Bottom