Where to attach a snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmlavoie:
Would you post that elsewhere and expect some serious answers about not having the snorkel clipped to my mask
The question is moot, since this thread seems to have been teleported out of the DIR forum without warning.

vodolaz:
The question is moot, since this thread seems to have been teleported out of the DIR forum without warning.

Yea, it would appear another FAQ on the purpose/intent of the DIR forum would be in order for the newer members.

vodolaz:
There's not a lot of room between the plate and your wing when it's fully inflated, and when it isn't, wouldn't the pocket float around during the dive?
Good point, for now with single tank there is a lot more space. When I'll be more DIR I'll probably stay with a Single but with a Dual valve, there will be enough space anyway. I'll figure out a way to prevent it from floating for now. I'm still a lot recreative, doing recreative, I'll adapt my equipment and dive acordingly during this time.

vodolaz:
Thigh pockets seem like the best choice since you'll be storing other gear there anyway if you go DIR.
This is a good solution, I'll check it when I get used to working with pockets and other equipment. There is still lot of details to fix.

MechDiver:
Yea, it would appear another FAQ on the purpose/intent of the DIR forum would be in order for the newer members.

OK I missed the teleportation thing guys... The thread moved, but how ??

The best place to store a snorkel is in the trash where it belongs.

ok, dude, but then it gets taken to the landfill and it kills baby ocelots

and it's all YOUR fault

:wink:

jmlavoie:
Good point, for now with single tank there is a lot more space. When I'll be more DIR I'll probably stay with a Single but with a Dual valve, there will be enough space anyway. I'll figure out a way to prevent it from floating for now. I'm still a lot recreative, doing recreative, I'll adapt my equipment and dive acordingly during this time.

This is a good solution, I'll check it when I get used to working with pockets and other equipment. There is still lot of details to fix.

If you are interested in putting a pocket on your wetsuit PM me and I can give you some hints and details.

Wendy:
If you are interested in putting a pocket on your wetsuit PM me and I can give you some hints and details.

Thanks Wendy, I plan to do it. I'm doing on a first pass of equipment adjustement that includes fixing the snorkel issue so I could get a long/short hose, without getting the extra stress of having no access to a snorkel once at the surface.

If you can point the extra information on it it will be fine. Halcyon have little information but not very much. That may be another Thread, I just don't know where it should be started.

Thanks

ElectricZombie:
The best place to store a snorkel is in the trash where it belongs.

OK, you got a point. It still need to be a little bit clearer as the thread is not on the DIR board and stating that like this looks like troll. During the dive the snorkel is a big risk that should be avoided. The risk associated with the snorkel is mainly entanglement with lot of things like the long hose when you need to supply air to your buddy, the lift bag (for DIR), (dive flag for recreational). Theese can happen during emergencies and cause even more panic. Correct me if I'm wrong. (don't talk about the dive flag please, it's another issue.)

Now, my point is that when you go underwater and have an emergency that prevent one diver from using his air supply near the turnaround pressure, (let say 2/3 of your air). It can happen, or you would not plan for the 1/3 extra right? You return both divers on the same air. You then reach the surface with low air reserve. You are in an emergency situation, with low air and the fact of not having a snorkel will cause more panic. This can be worse if you could not reach the ascent line and made an ascent with a lift bag and drift away from the boat in the ocean. In my opinion, having an acessible snorkel can prevent this panic at surface, and this is a kind of accident that can be planed ahead. I had the impression that this kind of planing was part of the DIR mentallity. So can somebody explain to me with good arguments why having a snorkel stored in the equipement is
against DIR ?

Back
Top Bottom