Where to buy a pole spear in Maui???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FoSheZZie23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am coming to Maui on saturday! Yahoo for that! I was wondering where i can buy a pole spear on Maui and how much they are running? I heard i can get them at Maui Sporting Goods and Wal-mart. Walmart would be better for me location wise so if anyone can confirm that they have them that would be great.

Also any prices or sizes that you know of. Thanks!!!!

-Steve

Wal-mart is your best bet... Haven't been to Maui Sports, but if they are anything like Hana Pa'a then they will be much more expensive.

I've seen them at Walmart.

I'm not sure on cost/size... but I'm pretty sure they're typical Walmart pricing. :)

So hopefully you'll eat what you kill. :)

Sadly I've seen mainland divers take photos of their stinger and toss the fishes in the nearest garbage can afterwards.

you can buy a good fish dinner at Moma's Fish House or several other nice resteraunts. If you don't have a camera there are a lot of places to buy underwater camera's all over the island. The problem with spear fishing is the Tiger sharks don't like to share!!

Ya, I learned that lobster netting. Got chased by a 15 footer.
Lets list the problems with visitors spearfishing.
1. Few have any place to cook or freeze fish
2. They don't know about Cig and which fish are likely to have it.
3. They don't know where they can and can not fish.
4. They are likely to encounter hostility from da lokal kine for fishing "there" fishing grounds

On the upside a stringer of Tang make a nice photo.
Just buy a camera please.

I dont understand why all the "locals" are so anti fishing for tourists. I am unsure why anyone would just take a picture of their catch then throw it away, that is completly rediculous.

I dont even take pictures of what i do catch.

I fish for the sport and for food (good fresh fish mmMMMmmm)

I do have a fridge and freezer at our families condo in Kihei, which comes complete with stove and bbq! ;-)

Ill wrestle a tiger shark if he wants to take away my catch.

Hey I will abide by local customs (from what i hear spearfishing is acceptable while freediving only)

But if locals still want to ***** that I am fishing, i dont really care. I treat people how i would want them to treat me. And if ANYONE wants to come fish here in the PNW then i will lend them a spear or a pole and if i have time ill even show them the good spots!

Aloha FoShezzie.
Lets get started on the happy foot. Spearfishing in Hawaii is a delicate subject. You have the right idea if you plan to eat what you hunt, and only take what you need, IE the minimum that you need. Outsider or not, you most likely won't be looked upon favorably if you have a spear in your hand. And do not EVER have a spear and scuba gear at the same time. It might not be illegal, but I wouldn't do it. Remember too that a dive shop, or better yet a free diving shop, might be more expensive but they will also have helpful info for you. Such as where to go and where not to go, both for good fishing, safe water, and to avoid trouble. Also I recommend getting the book put out by the Division of Aquatic Resources (DAR) on locations and animals and areas that are protected, regulated, prohibited, toxic, etc. You can contact DAR directly for the book or a QUALITY retail location will have that for you, and they are free. Most locals are friendly if you follow the pecking order, same as surfing. One last note, the only people who make comments about the Tiger Sharks are the ones who have not had a real encounter. Sharks in Hawaii are sacred, and their discussion in many forums is taboo, so exercise caution. One last note for your own enjoyment, hunt during the week when most everyone is at work. You'll have the place to yourself and you'll be much less likely to get hassled. All that being said, I'd rather see you buy a camera than a spear, but the reality is that one bottle of sun tan lotion or bottle of hair conditioner kills more marine life than a single spear.

Matthew

Hey Wildcard, can you tell my medication is kicking in full power? This has got to be the least confrontational I have ever been.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom