Question Where to buy AA lithium batteries for Perdix 2 in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct. When an alkaline battery discharge pressure builds up inside the battery. When completely dead it has the most pressure inside and over time the seal fails. It is also why you should always use alkaline batteries of the same type and charge. Using a half dead battery with fresh new one leads to over discharge of the half dead battery and even larger internal pressure. Same with using a cheap alkaline and a good brand name alkaline in same device.
Spoke with Shearwater's US repair center Divetronix a few years back and was told that Durcell and the big retailers house brands were probably the lowest quality batteries out there. Marketing trumps engineering.

Spoke with Shearwater's US repair center Divetronix a few years back and was told that Durcell and the big retailers house brands were probably the lowest quality batteries out there. Marketing trumps engineering.
Use Energizer if you must use Alkaline.

I believe that Richard at Divetronix has successfully helped obtain warranty coverage for computers that suffered damage from Energizer leaks.

Use Energizer if you must use Alkaline.

I believe that Richard at Divetronix has successfully helped obtain warranty coverage for computers that suffered damage from Energizer leaks.
The absolute worst brand I have ever seen are Rayovac ulta pro's. We stock these at work. I just pulled a pack, I got last month for my mouse, out of my desk drawer and 2 out of the 7 left have leaked out into the cellophane pack. These things are so bad the employees will not steal them anymore.

There's no harm in using alkaline for a short while. The risk with alkaline is leaking when stored. Get some batteries, enjoy your dive trip, then take them out.
You do lose the haptic (vibration) alarms with use of alkaline batteries - but no harm to the unit with short term use as you said.

Also, most batteries have several designations, so check the cross reference numbers for alternatives.

You do lose the haptic (vibration) alarms with use of alkaline batteries - but no harm to the unit with short term use as you said.

Right. I use Energizer lithium in mine. I was just thinking in terms of getting through a dive trip.

Right. I use Energizer lithium in mine. I was just thinking in terms of getting through a dive trip.

Well, ideally you would put a new battery in before you left on said dive trip!

Yes, I'm fairly new to the Perdix 2 and thought I had plenty of battery left. Turns out I just barely did, as the icon was showing about half full during most dives (oddly, still showed full on start-up). When I could not find the lithium batteries I decided to see how long I could go (had my old Mares Puck Pro+ on all dives also, which is what my son was diving too). Made it through 14 dives on my trip, and right after the last dive it displayed a message across the bottom of the screen. Came home and ordered the lithium batteries.

I have to say, I was not super happy with the inconsistent and vague manner in which the Perdix 2 describes battery life -- was hoping for more of a somewhat accurate percentage display like most cell phones. Is this consistent with others' experiences with these computers?

I have 2 Perdix AI that are 3 & 5 years old and a Petrel 3 on my CCR (new last year). Never had an issue like that.

Depending on the length of the dive trip, you might need to change it once, especially if vibration alerts are on. I always put a new one in before each trip and carry a few extras - same for my transmitters.

Back
Top Bottom