Question Where to buy AA lithium batteries for Perdix 2 in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would also require starting with a known level of charge. And a battery that actually has the full capacity that it should.
Yes, of course, on both accounts. The first isn't a problem; simply charge the battery fully before starting the system or start with a completely discharged battery. As for the second, I cannot say; I don't know how much variability in capacity there is in small batteries.

This method of monitoring SOC is widely used in backup electrical systems like Tesla Powerwalls and SMA Sunny Island inverters.

For replaceable batteries, they have no idea what make and model of battery you installed. It is all a guess, which is why the reported capacity is so variable. The only thing they can reliably say is when you don't have enough for another dive.
Which is why I always start every dive vacation with fresh batteries. Batteries are cheap; dives are not.

Which is why I always start every dive vacation with fresh batteries.
Even with fresh batteries, every make and model of battery has slightly different characteristics. Shearwater has no idea which you actually are using.

Phones know exactly the battery in use, and it's charge/discharge history. Much easier to give accurate answers then.

Even with fresh batteries, every make and model of battery has slightly different characteristics. Shearwater has no idea which you actually are using.

Phones know exactly the battery in use, and it's charge/discharge history. Much easier to give accurate answers then.
Bought some off label , supposedly the 'same' as a SAFT Lithium batteries. The voltage was slightly different than a SAFT and on install my Perdix would show a low charge. The discharge curve of a typical Lithium cell is pretty much flat from 90% to 20% so minor differences in nominal output voltage will confuse the computer.

1692560728741.png

Bought some off label , supposedly the 'same' as a SAFT Lithium batteries. The voltage was slightly different than a SAFT and on install my Perdix would show a low charge. The discharge curve of a typical Lithium cell is pretty much flat from 90% to 20% so minor differences in nominal output voltage will confuse the computer.

View attachment 798437
Looks like SAFT are supported and have the best battery life, but poor cold water performance. Based on Shearwater's info they look more like the option of last resort, since apparently the vibration and fuel gauge functions will not work either.

Attachments

• Recommended Batteries.png
    Recommended Batteries.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 44
Came home and ordered the lithium batteries.
Replying to my prior post just to share some info: As mentioned, I came home and ordered the Energizer Lithium 4-pack from Amazon. Then a few days later I was in a Buc-ees near me and happened to notice that Buc-ees also carries the same batteries, and they were about half the price I paid on Amazon. Did not expect that at a convenience store -- and while I'm a fan of Buc-ees, their prices are not always the cheapest.

The question on where to get Energizer ultimate lithium AA batteries for a perdix has come up before.
I brought down some extras and they are available at Tres Pelicanos.

The question on where to get Energizer ultimate lithium AA batteries for a perdix has come up before.
Why not just use 3.7 v lithium Rechargeable and save the landfill hazardous waste? They are 14500 3.7v li-ion rechargable battery. Recharge them weekly.

edit: correction

They have become a non stocking item on the island - office max used to carry them but does not anymore, Fuji no, Steren no - everywhere I went was a no. Muchas gracias for bringing them!!!

Why not just use 3.7 v lithium Rechargeable and save the landfill hazardous waste? They are 14500 3.7v li-ion rechargable battery. Recharge them weekly.

edit: correction
Well my primary concern is leakage damage to my computer. A leaky battery causes a $600 repair bill. The owner of divetronix (shearwater’s US repair facility) told me that the ultimate lithium batteries were the least likely to leak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom