where to buy used tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hello i am new to the diving world and am in the market for a couple used tanks. i know i can rent them but if i want to dive i dont want to have to hunt down a shop before i can go. can some one give me some tips on where to buy and maby some things to look for or maby things to stay away from. thanks

Two other things to consider:
a) You will need to hunt down a shop in any event as you will need to have the tanks filled (although owning your own tanks can make the timing of getting fills much easier) ; and
b) Are you thinking of any particular size/type? Different tanks sizes/types and even brands can have different bouyancy.

check your
* local paper classifieds GOOD, but an unlikely source
* Craigslist GOOD
* ebay CHECK THE VENDOR
* local dive clubs GOOD
* local forums on here. GOOD
* other dive boards. GOOD
* garage sales GOOD
* thrift stores GOOD, but an unlikely source
* pawn shops BEWARE
And, keep in mind that if you find used tanks in a pawn shop, there is a very good chance they have been stolen, and you are potentially profiting from the loss of a fellow diver (or, at least, allowing others to do so). In fact, there are also some pawn shops doing business on eBay, selling stolen merchandise.

And, keep in mind that if you find used tanks in a pawn shop, there is a very good chance they have been stolen, and you are potentially profiting from the loss of a fellow diver (or, at least, allowing others to do so). In fact, there are also some pawn shops doing business on eBay, selling stolen merchandise.

I was just listing possibilties.... If they were stolen, it's the Pawn Shop that is profiting from the sale of the tank. Not the diver. Of course supporting this isn't good for divers...

I've seen scuba gear (tanks regulators BC's) in Pawn shops and will say that most of them there are pretty much junk that you wouldn't want to pay that much money for what they have to offer. I've never seen anything worth buying scuba related in a pawn shop. (or about any other item for that matter). Most of it is overpriced junk that the Pawn'er didn't want in the first place and the Pawn shop is wanting to make a huge profit off of.

There is all kinds of stolen merchandise on Ebay. Just the nature of technology... it is what it is....

Having seen basket case steel tanks that were not dried inside from hydro testing... my recommendation is to buy a cheap tank out of test and have it tested by a shop that does it properly. If you buy a used tank you will want to inspect it anyway, so you get the maximum time in use if you get one tested as you buy it...

Gerbs

I was just listing possibilties.... If they were stolen, it's the Pawn Shop that is profiting from the sale of the tank. Not the diver. Of course supporting this isn't good for divers...
No. The pawn shop owner AND the buyer profit. Sorry. It is simply not correct to leave out the buyer. 'Oh. gee, I had no idea. I am not in any way resposnble.' Yeah, right. If there wasn't a market ...
There is all kinds of stolen merchandise on Ebay. Just the nature of technology... it is what it is....
OK, and the world has all kinds of murderers. But, we don't say, 'it is what it is'. And, I appreciate you were just listing possibilites. However, since I have long held a strong bias, actually substantiated by personal experience in law enforcement, that much of what appears (used) in pawn shops is stolen merchandise, I thought I might point it out. So, yes the owner profits. But, people who buy from those owners, at a 'bargain' price, also profit, so don't excuse them. I don't back down from that statement.

Now, in fairness to all, I am dealing with the loss of almost $6K of gear, and two of the stolen items are currently listed on eBay, from an online pawn shop, and we seem to be having trouble getting the police excited. So, pardon my hijack, but I see pawn shops as scum. I actually have a friend who owns one and I tell him the same thing. Niothing perosnal, just business.

For me used tanks are like cats....they just show up when ready for adoption

If the rest of us were only this lucky.

Not sure what kind of prices you've seen for used tanks, but for a little bit more you can get a brand spanking new one without all the worry.

i would love nothing more to be able to buy new.the price of new tanks isint to bad till you add the shipping to ohio. but as a we all know family comes first. i am a corrections officer at a county jail trying to find some mental relief in scuba diving. i got a good deal from an old army budy of mine on everything except tanks. i am not looking for a handout or a freebie by any means just trying not to take to much from the 12$ an hour i make that has to take care of the wife,kids,pets,bills. i was looking to spend no more than 200$ on 2 aluminum 80's in" good hydro and vis inspection".( see this thread has already helped me learn somthing). hahaa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom