where to dive in florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a million for your replies. I am thinking all considered Key Largo is starting to win. I may stay on long key (good state park with water and electric for the RV.) I guess you drive up to Largo to meet the dive operation?

Steve
Unless you drag (or rent) a car, it can be a bit of a hassle - its not "far" but the keys have one north south road - Islamorada may be a better idea

On the way down - consider stopping in Jupiter, and Lantana/Boynton (in S Palm Beach County) for diving - different from the Keys and excellent

Another thing to consider. You said summer, but you did not say when. I would highly suggest that if at all possible that you avoid July 30 & 31. This is Lobster mini-season, to call this time a free-for-all is an understatement. Not a time for relaxing diving with the family. The campgrounds will be quite crowded, and the water even more so. I believe that if the 7 mile bridge was gone, it would be possible to walk the span on the boats. Second, the week of August 6 is the opening of regular lobster season. Not quite as crazy, but still nuts.

Safe dives
trtldvr

www.divealive.org

Another thing to consider. You said summer, but you did not say when. I would highly suggest that if at all possible that you avoid July 30 & 31. This is Lobster mini-season, to call this time a free-for-all is an understatement.
Florida Keys Safe Diving Initiative

OMG take this post very seriously, you do not want be in the Keys During mini season. I'll take drunk Spring Breaker over that anyday!! With Florida in general you will also have less likelihood of tropical activity in the early Summer, June has few tropical events on average. August/September is peak likelihood.

Hi guys - thanks for all the info. Thanks especially for the time to avoid. We will be in Pennekamp Aug 2-10, so hopefully the bodies will be gone from the mini-season!

I really can't wait. My wife and I have been certified for 20 years, but the last 10 have hardly been diving (kids). Now back into it with the kids certified. Seems this is an optimal place for new divers to get their feet (and the rest of them) wet. I will post after the trip to let you know how it went!

I am also at the same time planning next winter in either Cozumel or Bonaire - another thread. For fun for the buck I still like Cozumel, but my wife worries a bit about the kids and drift diving. We had a wonderful recommendation on the other thread that day 1 we see if we can pay for a private divemaster for the 4 of us to get everyone comfortable. That may well be the way to go.

Anyway, thanks again.

Steve

Hi guys - thanks for all the info. Thanks especially for the time to avoid. We will be in Pennekamp Aug 2-10, so hopefully the bodies will be gone from the mini-season!
...unfortunately, based on past lobster seasons, you have no idea how literal this statement is...

...unfortunately, based on past lobster seasons, you have no idea how literal this statement is...

actually last year we only had 1 (our dive alive web page needs to updated. I am meeting with our web guy this week), and it truly was a heart attack. 06 was the bad year with 4 in the 2 days and 1 the day before.

safe dives
trtldvr

www.divealive.org

YIKES! I won't kid around any more. I have been on dive boats with people 150 pounds overweight whose main exercise was fork to mouth. Always wondered if any of them rockered off on a dive ....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom