Where to dive in Utila (or Roatan) Honduras? Accommodations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ps. there is also there is a new direct airline called cm that leaves san pedro sula every sat at 3pm, arrives utila at 3.30pm., leaves utila at 8.30am every saturday. very nice plane and good service for $212 rt. tickets cam be booked through alice hill at worldwide travel on utila.

Hi Carey!

WOW, small world!! I'm in Silver Spring...super close to Rockville! :)

I'm jealous - it sounds like you've got most of your plans figured out! I'm still trying to decide on whether I should do an all inclusive or play it by ear. Utila is such a teeeeeny tiny island, but there's a lot to choose from, which makes my decision that much harder. Being indecisive doesn't help much either. :) Are you booking your accommodations for your last week before you get there? I guess that's probably the safest thing to do, so you got something lined up. How did you hear about where you're planning to stay in Cayos Cochinos? I'm using my trusty Lonely Planet and Frommer's books, which aren't proving to be very useful right now... :) Planning a vacation is supposed to be easy, right? :)

I am not sure about the Frommer's edition, but the current Lonely Planet edition is as fresh as circa 2006ish. For the first 4 weeks that I will be with Opwall, all of the accommodations are taken care of, for when I return to Utila, I checked out the rankings and reviews on Tripadvisor, and decided on the lighthouse. The location seems good, and although it is one of the more "expensive" hotels, it is still very reasonable. Me and my friend will be staying there between August 16th and 24th. For my last week, I was thinking of going back to Cayos Cochinos, PBR is the only place to stay there. When I am there earlier with Opwall it will be pretty much camp-style cabins or tents on the beach I believe, but as far as commercial resorts, the only one is Plantation, but I think with 4 dives a day, unlimited shore and 3 meals, it seems like a pretty good deal to me. Although I have heard that transport to and from the island is a bit pricey, and that is a part I still trying to figure out.

I was originally thinking about Utopia, but it is more expensive at $255 ppd with only 2 dives. I haven't booked my stay at PBR yet, as I want to figure out the boat transfer situation first. I will be going back to Uitla the night before my flight, and will probably stay at the lighthouse that night. It's too bad you aren't going a week or two later... :) Maybe we can meet up at Treetanic for a beer when you get in, I can't imagine they will have me busy analyzing data EVERY night... lol! I will be at Coral View from the 20th until the 26th before going to Cayo Menor. What kind of graduate program are you doing? I am currently doing a Master's in Environmental Studies in Sustainable Coastal Marine Tourism & Conservation.

Carey

ps. there is also there is a new direct airline called cm that leaves san pedro sula every sat at 3pm, arrives utila at 3.30pm., leaves utila at 8.30am every saturday. very nice plane and good service for $212 rt. tickets cam be booked through alice hill at worldwide travel on utila.

thank you SOOOOOOO much!!! i checked flight prices via san pedro...WOW, huge difference! :)

Roatan I recommend barefoot cay, although don't get the meal plan, go into town and get some groceries.
Utila Deep Blue Utila also excellent

To get between roatan and utila go see Capt Vern Fine he runs a catermeran between the two.

I am not sure about the Frommer's edition, but the current Lonely Planet edition is as fresh as circa 2006ish. For the first 4 weeks that I will be with Opwall, all of the accommodations are taken care of, for when I return to Utila, I checked out the rankings and reviews on Tripadvisor, and decided on the lighthouse. The location seems good, and although it is one of the more "expensive" hotels, it is still very reasonable. Me and my friend will be staying there between August 16th and 24th. For my last week, I was thinking of going back to Cayos Cochinos, PBR is the only place to stay there. When I am there earlier with Opwall it will be pretty much camp-style cabins or tents on the beach I believe, but as far as commercial resorts, the only one is Plantation, but I think with 4 dives a day, unlimited shore and 3 meals, it seems like a pretty good deal to me. Although I have heard that transport to and from the island is a bit pricey, and that is a part I still trying to figure out.

I was originally thinking about Utopia, but it is more expensive at $255 ppd with only 2 dives. I haven't booked my stay at PBR yet, as I want to figure out the boat transfer situation first. I will be going back to Uitla the night before my flight, and will probably stay at the lighthouse that night. It's too bad you aren't going a week or two later... :) Maybe we can meet up at Treetanic for a beer when you get in, I can't imagine they will have me busy analyzing data EVERY night... lol! I will be at Coral View from the 20th until the 26th before going to Cayo Menor. What kind of graduate program are you doing? I am currently doing a Master's in Environmental Studies in Sustainable Coastal Marine Tourism & Conservation.

Carey

Hey!!

Sorry it has taken a while for me to respond, I just had a 7 hour final yesterday and I'm still recovering. :) Soooo, I still haven't decided what I want to do, but I'm much closer to making a decision. Or at least I thought I was until I checked out PBR a few minutes ago. Looks fantastic!!!! I'd love to go there, but like you said, the trip there seems a bit daunting. From what I read on some website (not sure which one) I think the resort ppl are under the assumption you're flying in from Miami, Houston, or somewhere in the States and when you arrive in La Ceiba, you basically stay there for a night. I guess the water is more rough in the afternoon, so they do the transfers in the morning. Hmmm :confused: Then, I think the transfer is $80 and I think I saw something about that fee not including ground transportation, but for some reason I thought there aren't any cars there. I don't know...but yea, it seems like a lot. I was gonna see what dates you were heading out there, but looks like you're going after I'm back in the states at school/work....ughhhh! Hahah!

I looked at Utopia also. I've heard good things about it, but it is pricier than the others. I'm leaning towards Deep Blue right now. My best friend might be coming the last week I'm there, so we'll share a room and that actually makes a big difference. That would be pretty messed up if they had you working EVERY night, but hey, I'll be right there with you! :( I'll be taking two classes while I'm in Utila. LOL...I've emailed a few places and I'm like, I MUST HAVE WIFI! They're prob like, stupid American and her internet! I actually looked into the Aggressor (liveaboard), but when I went down the list of "amenities," the sending of an 'email' could be done for a fee. Ha! I'm surprised a yacht doesn't have internet in 2011, but I don't know.

Anyway, your grad program sounds really interesting!!! What kind of work will you be doing once you've got your masters?

Hope all is well!

-Heather

This question will probably generate more responses/opinions than your original question.
We fly into San Pedro Sula simply because we can get tickets considerably cheaper than flying into Roatan.
From the airport, you can take the Hedman Alas bus to LaCieba to catch the ferry. The problem is, most "US" flights, American, Continental, etc arrive around noon so you would be hard pressed to get there in time to catch the last ferry.
I can't comment on the commuter airline (Aerolineas SOSA) simply because we've never used it.
The place we stay will arrange a private charter. The price is comparable to the commuter and is well worth the convenience.
Once you decide where to stay, ask if they can make arrangements for you.

Oops, you originally posted this note! I thanked the wrong person. Anyway, THANK YOU!!! Flying into San Pedro knocks a few hundred dollars off!! :) I appreciate the tip!

I would get ready to be fairly frustrated with the internet situation. I think it is pretty slow down there as far as I can tell. I think I am going to try writing to a dive shop that offers day excursions to Cayos and see if I can get transport from them. I'm thinking though that I should probably aim on coming back a day before, so I don't have any surprises... It's good that you have a friend coming down with you, something tells me the buddy system is useful for more than just diving. LOL

I hoping to do development work when I am finished my degree, travel contracts is what I am aiming for. What about you?

Also, just found this travel show blog the other day, though you might get a kick out of it....
Planet Kapow 29 : Utila to the Bottom of the Sea

Carey

Sooo, I'm heading to Cayos Cochinos for 3 weeks! LOL! Are you still going?

I am not sure about the Frommer's edition, but the current Lonely Planet edition is as fresh as circa 2006ish. For the first 4 weeks that I will be with Opwall, all of the accommodations are taken care of, for when I return to Utila, I checked out the rankings and reviews on Tripadvisor, and decided on the lighthouse. The location seems good, and although it is one of the more "expensive" hotels, it is still very reasonable.

Lighthouse is a nice hotel - clean rooms and friendly owners. I would recommend rooms on the upper floor with the bay view. No from the floor above footsteps above you, french windows that open on to the balcony with views over the bay and the rooms are more spacious. Cost a bit more but worth the extra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom