Where to Dive Lauderdale -or- Keys in Dec???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mom always said "Try hard to say at least ONE good thing about someone." Hmmm let me think... Oh! I know, "If you are standing ON his boat.. He can't hit you with it!"

:wink:

The decision remains, but from what I gather...

Lauderdale diving is very good.

Keys diving is very good.

There is likely enough to keep the FAM happy in either location.

Avoid ScubaTyme (and I think I will).

Thanks All, :10:
Ron

RonFrank:
We are planning a FL trip sometime in the first couple weeks of December.

I have a cousin in Ft. Pierce, and she indicated that diving in that area (Vero) is not good now due to 1) closed beaches 2) Dive Boats and operators are still trying to recover.

So I'm trying to decide if I should go the Key Largo, or if the Lauderdale area would work??

I'll be with my wife and son (both non divers).

One concern I have is what they can do if we head to Key Largo? I'd do at least two 1/2 days of diving... maybe three. They may snorkel for part of one day. They love the beach, but I remember the keys as not really having much of a beach in most places (been a while since I've seen the Keys).

Any suggestions, or reports on what diving is likely to be like in either the Key Largo area, or off the mainland around Lauderdale is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Ron

RonFrank:
The decision remains, but from what I gather...

Lauderdale diving is very good.

Keys diving is very good.

I was thinking of doing a last minute trip to either Largo or Lauderdale Dec. 12-15. for a B-day present to myself (turning 40 :death2:). I've been diving in Key Largo but never Ft. Lauderdale. I just got this idea in my head about the trip a few minutes ago... so if i sound a bit uninformed chalk it up to not doing ANY research and needing to make up my mind REALLY quick.

Is there a difference in the seas (wave height)? Meaning - is it more apt to be "wavier" in one place or the other. If the waves are too high for boats to go out can you still shore dive in Lauderdale?

From the long range weather reports it looks to be in the 80 degree range for those days. No reports on wind. Obviously I'm not counting any chickens this far in advance but could that mean manageable wave height in Largo? I'd hate to fly down and get stuck on shore! I see that the winds have been pretty light the last few days.

Moodiejeff:
Is there a difference in the seas (wave height)? Meaning - is it more apt to be "wavier" in one place or the other. If the waves are too high for boats to go out can you still shore dive in Lauderdale...
It's actually the opposite - waves have to be VERY bad here before the boats won't go, and if they are that high then the Keys will probably have similar problems.

It's a strange time of year for shore diving in Ft. Lauderdale. The visibility cycles with the wind so timing your trip for a west wind (or no wind) can be difficult. While boat diving is nearly 100%, good shore diving is more of a 50% to 70% probability.

Everything in the Keys is boat diving, and the diving is better all-around. I'd always pick the Keys unless travel time down is an issue.

MikeJacobs:
Everything in the Keys is boat diving, and the diving is better all-around. I'd always pick the Keys unless travel time down is an issue.

I'm leaning towards Key Largo... it now depends on if my girlfriend can get 4 days off from work.

I literally came up with this plan at 3:00 this morning. Was gonna go to Vegas for a couple days but I'll take diving over Vegas anytime! Flight is the same $s to Miami or Vegas. Temp is 58 in Vegas and 80 something in FL. Hmmmm, what would you choose? :crafty:

I just got back from a nice thanksgiving trip to key Largo, nice and warm. Although wind can cancel dives, at a pinch you could always dive one of the bigger boats- they can usually go out when the small ones can't. Although it might not be perfect, at least you can dive. In winter it tends ot be hit and miss- some days are a little rough- others are flat as a pancake. Just make sure to bring wetsuits and warm clothes for the boat ride.

If you are looking for boats, I just had a great experience with Silent World- http://www.silentworldkeylargo.com/

nice folks and nice mid-size boat- and $189 for 5 boat trips (10 tanks). Worht checking out.

enjoy!

MikeJacobs:
Just think about all the cash you'll NOT gamble away.
... and not spend in Florida either. My girlfriend can't get 4 days off in a row before X-mas. Damn retail job!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom