Where to do AOW in early October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

echo5506:
HappyFunBoater,

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Bummer. The Carribbean is great, but as other have pointed out, you probably don't want to schedule a trip here during hurricane season... unless you're able to get incredibly flexible flights and hotels.

I've always done the Carribean between October & December. Yes, it is Hurricane season & yes, I have been extremely lucky. But I have been traveling these dates down to the Hurricane Belt now for 6 years. Have yet to run into a Hurricane. I do this cause it is Low Season & I get that many more dives for my buck!!! :wink:

October is a good time in the Carribean as long as your aware that by some off chance, you might experience some bad weather.

Your better off, if you can go closer to the end of Hurricane Season as in December. December, typically does not have a lot of Hurricane's, we'll except for last year & I went to the Caymans last year, missed Wilma by a month.

I have done the DR over Halloween. Playa Del Carmen in November & December & Turks & Caico's in September.

Really, it's just a luck of the draw if you choose to go during Hurrican Season, but man, some of those prices can't be beat! :D

The southern Caribbean is always good this time of year. Bonaire would be an excellent choice.

You can never go wrong going to Hawaii :) I did my AOW with Aqua Zone in Honolulu and they were fun to work with ... some AWESOME dives there too and some very unique things ... do you deep dive on the corsair it is AWESOME! Nice field of garden eels sitting beside the plane ... make sure you take your camera ... vis will be over 100 feet and temps around 78-80.

Thanks for all the advice to everyone that's replied. I decided on Kona (Big Island). ScubaCatGirl, I would love to have your luck, but I find that I'm a bit of a black cloud when it comes to luck with weather (pun intended). But I definitely plan on going to the Carribeans next year. Now it's time to look for recommendations for dive instructors and shops on the Big Island!!

echo5506:
Now it's time to look for recommendations for dive instructors and shops on the Big Island!!

Dive Makai - and if you go with them see if you can pick up my hat. I left it on the boat back in April.

:)

echo5506:
Thanks for all the advice to everyone that's replied. I decided on Kona (Big Island).

I am going to Kona (Big Island) in Oct ... Let us know who you decided to dive with, and how it turned out ... from what I have been reading I looks to be awesome.

In your geographic location and given the hurricane season in the Gulf of Mexico, you're right to opt for Hawaii for a warm AOW course. (Although I wimpily find Hawaii waters "cool" compared to what I'm used to here in SE Asia, LOL).

dlndavid:
some realy cheep fares to Hawaii

In addition to the NWA fares dlndavid mentions, check out Aloha's fares from Oakland. Very low prices if the timing is right for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom