Where to do cert dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andreiz

New
Reaction score
So I'm pretty much a complete newbie. Had a couple of dives before and decided it's time to get certified. I intend to do the classroom & pool work in SF and the cert dives somewhere in Belize in March. I've looked through this forum, but all the recommendations seem targeted to more experienced divers. I just want to find a good enough place that would be accessible from a resort or something (the parents want to come along and spend a few days on the beach). With that in mind, where would you recommend to stay (mid-range) and what outfit to engage for the cert dives?

By "somewhere in Belize" do you mean "somewhere on Ambergris Caye" or do you really mean "somewhere in Belize."

If it's the latter, then I recommend Splash Dive Center in Placencia. Great shop, great people. I've dived with them twice for a total of five weeks and saw many satisfied students come and go. Placencia has a wide range of accommodations, from movie star luxury to youth hostel basic and all points in between. Patty Ramirez, who owns and runs Splash, can help with that as well as the puddle jumper flight from/to Belize City.

If you mean Ambergris Caye, some of the shops will pick you on the dock of the place where you are staying. Some places have dive shops right on the dock in front, just depends where you are staying. This is of course you are staying on the water. Our next trip we are splitting our stay between our condo, X'tan Ha, and Pedros Inn. Pedros is a bit from the water, but you can walk over to a dock and wait under the palapa with the morning coffee :)

The trick is to set this up before you start. As long as both shops are using the same certification agency and will work with you, you're pretty safe regardless. I did the same thing - class work in VA and cert dives in St Maarten.

If you do PADI then I would spend two days in Belize City and do your OW cert with John and Linda Searle with Sea Sports Belize. They are great people and trustworthy. Then head out to Caye Caulker and Dive with Frenchie's for your first dives as a certified OW diver....

I've no reason to say anything negative about Sea Sport but seriously question recommending spending time in Belize City. My recommendation is to not spend a moment longer in Belize City than neceassary. And in fact it is not necessary to spend any time at all in Belize City because international flights land at BZE which is not actually at Belize City and one can catch the puddle jumper flights to the Cayes directvfrom the international airport.

I'll second Rudy at Island Divers on Ambergris Caye.

If you're interested in history and/or you enjoy spending some time in former British colony cities, then there are a few reasons to spend a day or two in BZ City. There's the former Government House, now a museum, St John's Cathedral, really cool on the inside, the Swing Bridge, the former US Consulate, especially if you read Richard Conroy's Our Man in Belize, and the Museum of Belize, located in the former main prison. You can walk along the seawall and check out the Baron Bliss Memorial at the tip of the harbor. And you can people watch at the bustling square in front of the Supreme Court building.

The Great House is a nice, secure place to stay with an old world feel. It also has a decent restaurant in a lovely outdoor setting.

OK Downing, I'll have to acknowledge that but frankly, my perspective is almost always that I'd rather be diving. :)

I've spent time in Belize City over the years. A little shopping, a little driving around, a little bit of walking around but never to appreciate the history. Also never stayed overnight in BC though have stayed over in Ladyville.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom