where to get married & maybe do some diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koozemani

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After reading an earlier thread on ...if you could do it over again...

My girlfriend and i have been contemplating what sort of wedding we should have. We're currently leaning toward a small, immediate family only, in the carribean somewhere. The idea being that we can get some diving in and tie the honeymoon in one trip. None of the invitees dive, so somewhere that has ammenities for non-divers is a consideration.

any ideas or personal experiences would be welcome.

We were married in Port Douglas, Australia, in December 2006. Spent 3 weeks in OZ, including a week at Thala Lodge where were married, almost a week on the Spirit of Freedom liveaboard on the Coral Sea, a day river rafting, a couple of day trips to the GBR, a couple of days in Sydney, and a couple of days in New Zealand trapsing through the blackwater caves.

We were about 40 at the time. Her first, my second. No family at the wedding, just the resort manager, the photograper, and the "celebrant" who performed the civil wedding at the resort.

Absolutely perfect, and would do the same thing all over again. In fact, we're planning a similar trip for later this year.

Since then, we discovered that we prefer the South Pacific to the the Carribean.

sounds great, but the cost might be prohibitive for some of the guests. the carib. is probably doable, or possibly the keys

I would (may) go to the Amankila resort in Bali. I have not been there, but have stayed in other Aman hotels and they are impeccable in every respect. Bali offers a romantic setting, a distinct culture, and diverse diving. I'd do a few days at the Aman, including the wedding, and then head to Tulamben perhaps, when you tire of being waited on hand and foot, or when your wallet cries out in pain. Your guests can stay at any number of hotels to suit their individual budgets and tastes, and can have a lovely stay whether paying $30 or $1,000 per night. You can get to Bali from Phoenix for $1,200, so it might not be significantly more expensive than a Caribbean trip for West Coasters, once you factor in potentially cheaper accommodations (not the Aman, obviously).

Husband and I got married on St. John USVI, then did alot of diving on St. Thomas. The ceremony was done by Anne Marie and it was beautiful and perfect! She will set you up on getting the marriage certificates and anything else you need. It was stress free and so easy to do! Good luck and congratulations!

You might want to think about Cozumel I have had several friends get married there and the caribbean sea with a sunset as a backdrop is really nice...they have used Stephanie w/cozumel wedding planner

Cozumel Weddings, Cozumel Wedding Planner, Cozumel Mexico - Home

and she can help you with all the arrangements.....

Destination weddings are popular in Caribbean, so you will get lots of ideas here.

If it were my wedding, with most guests as non-divers, then I would go to either Belize or Grand Cayman.
The reasons - islands are tropical but still modern enough, English speaking (so guests don't feel uncomfortable getting around on their own), and lots of topside activities. Diving is pretty good at both locations, also. Your guests could do tours or beaches while you dive, too.

Cozumel is another option, but it would depend on the guests comfort with Mexico. I would not stay in a high traffic tourist area there as the timeshare hawks and cruiseship crowds are annoying to say the least. There are some nice big all-inclusive resorts on the southern end of island that would work well. Also over on the mainland, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, or even Cancun are options.

robin:D

My wife and I were married at Couples Negril in Jamaica in 2003, used both the on-site dive op and the on-site wedding service. Wedding went off without a hitch. Resort is AI, so caters to all interests.

Went back to the same resort in 2008, but used an off-site dive op.

We enjoy Jamaica due to the additional off-resort excursions, plus the diving improved from 2003 to 2008, and recent reports suggest that it continues to get better.

Akumal is small, beautiful and quiet. Easy access from Cancun but away from the hustle and bustle (and danger) that goes with the city. Akumal Beach Resort is great if you are looking for an all-inclusive, otherwise you have plenty of options with beautiful rental villas, etc.

Congrats!

d.b.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom