Where to get my cert?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think learning open water ocean beach dives would be much better than boat dives. Boat diving can be easily learned with a buddy on a trip after getting your cert. But shore dives (which are also much cheaper than a boat) can get quite challenging if you have never done them in California.

Either way diving is great fun.

I agree, but think a mix is better than all beach or all boat dives.

I think learning open water ocean beach dives would be much better than boat dives. Boat diving can be easily learned with a buddy on a trip after getting your cert. But shore dives (which are also much cheaper than a boat) can get quite challenging if you have never done them in California.

Either way diving is great fun.

Well I've already dove once while I was on a cruise last week and I dove with 3 certified divers and dove 55' on my first time cause the instructor said I'm a natural lol but I think whether its a boat dive or shore dive ill do just fine..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Greetings,
I would drive the extra distance and take your training in Hemet, at "Great Vis Scuba"

Richard (owner) will give you the one on one time that is important to becoming a safe diver.
The gear is new and you will get quality training.

Great Vis also donates time & equipment to local veterans programs as well.

I have not take any classes or do i know anyone who has taken classes at wiles. They have been in business for several years.
I have been to his shop for some small items. The location on La Cadena in Riverside, is the pits.
I know this area and Riverside very well.
Sport chalet is quick and they have a large gear selection to choose from. But you never know if the person helping you is a diver or really works in shoes.

You can't beat boat diving in So Calif. Shore diving is less expensive, (after you perchase all your gear)
But I recommend extra training. their is a lot more to it than just walking out into the water.

Log on to LA county scuba and look up the 3Rs program. It will give you some FREE shore diving training.

Good Divin
SoCalRich

A friend took his in Riverside at sport chalet and he had no problems...at least they had a pool...
I like to take classes at different locations and from different people.... You can take your Open Water from one place and your AOW from the other. And then take your Rescue from another.....imho

... to get the most knowledge possible...
From the classes I've assisted with, this depends on you as much as the shop and instructor. If you put out the effort, you will get the knowledge and skills with any decent shop and instructor.

We're spoiled here because there are lots of great dive shops in So Cal, and everyone has their favorites. Personally I'm biased toward my own LDS. I suggest you call around, talk to the shops to get an idea of what they go over, how long the OW cert class is, what is included and what you're responsible for. The $100 OW cert class can easily end up costing more than the $700 OW cert when you add in all the things that are extra, so make sure you compare apples to apples. Doing the e-learning can reduce the amount of time you spend in a classroom.

If you go with a dive shop that does the certification over two consecutive weekends, with the second spent in Catalina, geography becomes less of a consideration. You could pick the dive shop you feel most comfortable with, get a cheap hotel room nearby for the first weekend night when you're doing classroom and pool skills, because the second weekend you're out at Catalina anyway, so no need to be limited to nearby dive shops. If you're planning on diving in So Cal, in the long run you have to end up somewhere by the big ocean to the west of you, so one or two weekends driving to the coast pales in comparison to how much time you will spend diving if you really get into it

For the OW cert, if you go the beach dive route instead of Catalina and/or boat dives, if conditions are crappy (yes, that does happen on beach dives here) and you drive out to the coast but you don't get the requisite number of dives in, you will end up spending more time driving to the coast over several weekends than just getting all the certification dives done in one weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom