Where to go March - Apo Island / Sogod Bay / Anilao / Puerto Galera / Somewhere else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alona beach on Bohol is the worst diving i've done in the Philipines .I stopped diving after 3 days.
Alona beach and Bohol is nice tho.
Frank

This sort of comment without qualification is not helpful at all. Why did you think it was the worst diving? I was there in November last year and felt the critter factor had declined since my last visit but on the three trips previous I thought it was quite good. Apparently Typhoon Pablo in 2012 did quite a bit of damage underwater. I missed a number of critters I am used to seeing there. I did get into the middle of a mackerel school at Balicasag this time that was brilliant.

Didn't read EVERYthing that was written above but is it too late to change your flight to arrive and depart from Cebu City instead of Manila? That's my plan since everything I want to do is around Cebu/Negros.

Why is it not helpful , you point someone to a place to dive with only 5 reasonable divesites around Balicasag Island. Only driftdives and quite a time to travel to get there. In another report on this board i read that operaters only go out to the Island if they have a couple of divers.
If like the op i only have a couple of days and want to have a diving holiday i would never travel this far for a few dives. There are better places.
Frank

Why is it not helpful , you point someone to a place to dive with only 5 reasonable divesites around Balicasag Island. Only driftdives and quite a time to travel to get there. In another report on this board i read that operaters only go out to the Island if they have a couple of divers.
If like the op i only have a couple of days and want to have a diving holiday i would never travel this far for a few dives. There are better places.
Frank

The dives at Balicasag are not my favorites at Bohol. I actually prefer the Alona Beach sites of which there are at least 8. There are far more photo opportunities for me there than I have found at Balicasag. If you are intent on big fish stuff then yes you would be disappointed but if you didn't dive along Alona Beach you missed the mushroom coral pipe fish, flamboyant cuttlefish, ornate ghost pipefish and many snake and moray eels to be found there including the dwarf moray aka locally as golden moray.

I have a spent a while diving in the Philippines. You mentioned PG...did you mean Sabang? Both are pretty close and easy to get to from Manila, Van/Banca is easiest about 2 1/2 hours by van depending on Manila traffic and little over an hour by Banca from Batangas. You also mentioned wreck diving and for that you want to go to Coron, Coron has more than wrecks but vis can be a problem. I also like Alona beach, there is more there than just Balicasag. For whale sharks you go to Oslob about a 3 hour drive from Cebu, you can dive there but it's better to just snorkel with the Whale sharks IMO. My favorite is Coron, because I like wreck diving, but there is also 2 lakes and some nice corals. Most places will cost ~2600-3300 pesos for a 3 dive day with lunch. When you get to Manila you will probably arrive at terminal 1 and most of the local flights are from terminal 4 which you will have to take a taxi (metered) or the bus to. Also very important contact an operator in the area where you would like to dive and let them know your intentions. I did this in Coron and dove solo for 3 days without having to pay a Banca minimum. I have spent the last 3 years diving the Philippines with 164 dives there. I live in China so I fly in and out quite a bit. If you would like information on any particular place just let me know and I can give you names and places or pics.

I have a spent a while diving in the Philippines. You mentioned PG...did you mean Sabang?

I have noticed this quite a lot in my researches for my travels over there. People nearly always talk about PG when they really mean Sabang. Puerto Galerta is the main town up on that end of the island, but not really a diving mecca of any kind. Sabang is the little coastal town up on the north end of the island, and about a half hour bus trip from PG. Sabang is where almost all the diving action is, and where 90% of the resorts and dive operators are, but people keep referring to the area as PG. (Sorry about hijacking your answer, but this is a pet peeve of mine and I couldn't resist the opportunity to sound off when I saw it.:eyebrow:) I will be there next month, and will see what all the fuss is about for myself. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
People nearly always talk about PG when they really mean Sabang.

in spite of your correct characterization regarding the town of puerto galera proper, me thinks people use pg to mean the entire surrounding area. while sabang beach may be the hub of day and nightlife, and most dive operations, it certainly is not the only area to stay dive eat or party, and each area has a somewhat unique flavor. but it is simply not shorthand for the area. sabang is sabang. pg includes sabang.

that said, there is some good advice here but coming from manila my vote is head straight to sabang. it is easy to get to (for a cheap and easy get to head to the JAM bus under Buendia LRT station - all taxis drivers will know what you are talking about - and head straight to Batangas Pier to catch a waiting ferry). if you are in a huge hurry take a taxi directly to the pier. for reference you should get there in under 2 hours. negotiate hard but be prepared to pay new york prices. unless you sit on a stonefish that will be the worst of it.

in spite of some recent gripes the sabang area is generally reasonably priced, offers quite a variety of places to spend your money during the day and at night, and has a substantial number of quality dive sites. check the white boards - someone is probably going where you want to go. just don't miss verde island. come another time when you have more time at your disposal and venture elsewhere for wrecks, whale sharks, blah blah. i'm sure once bitten you will be back. if you are looking for peace and quiet stay in one of the areas just outside of sabang beach but still in what is commonly referred to as pg.

coincidentally i will leave manila and arrive pg the 18th as well but leave a day later than you - but to leyte not new york. if sabang/pg is in your future pm me and i'll be happy to meet. if you are solo and looking for a buddy one of those days we will be 3 at that time. what luck.

Last edited:
Is sabang really good for diving or is it "fair" ? I am right now in mabini and been told bout this sabang. I am just afraid it's just an ok place to stay and just to party filled with tourists like in Thailand and that the diving is nothing special. I am on budget and looking for a place to stay and dive with ? Any recommendation ?

Back
Top Bottom