Where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Riki

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

So I have just come back from the BCD route Egypt Liveaboard with the whole experience being absolutely amazing but the quality of diving has left me a little underwhelmed. I am used to diving Indonesia mainly raja ampat, Malaysia and the Phillipines.

I am heading on a Europe trip visiting Portugal, Spain and the Balkans. Any diving locations that might be up to par? I'd be open to other countries if the diving takes me there.

Thanks for any advice :)

In my experience the Med can be barren unless you are in a nature reserve with restrictions on fishing, so choose the location accordingly. I have friends who rate the Medes Islands, Catalonia.

Up to par with Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillipines? No.
Up to par with Egypt? No.
The Medes named above are certainly one of the better spots but not to be compared with the ones above. If you were underwhelmed by Egypt, i would not try diving in Europe. You will be disappointed and get the feeling to waste your time and money.

I'm surprised you were underwhelmed by the route you did in Egypt. Of the other destinations you mention, I've only dived Malaysia (including Sipadan) and thought it was comparable in quality. Different, but comparable. If you were underwhelmed by Egypt, then I wouldn't bother diving in Europe at all unless you can generate some interest in wrecks.

Thank you alll so much for your honest feedback, I was thinking it might not be worth diving on this trip and planning another Indo trip when I return. Your advice has confirmed this.

I mostly dive in Italy and tvere are a few places which I like a lot, despite not being the same experience as Maldives or the Great Barrier in Australia.​
In the Med there are places with incredible visibility (more than 50 m) and nice soft and hard corals.​
What is missing is big or coloured fish.​
There are also nice caverns and caves and many wrecks.​
I would suggest marine protected areas if you want to see some fish, lobsters, etc.​
And be prepared to dive deep and with deco, as most of my favorite diving sites go down to 55-60 meters.​
I mean small islands such as Marettimo, Lampedusa, Pantelleria, Ustica, Panarea.​
Or the North of Sardinia, Capo Caccia is famous for caverns and caves.​
The top is Montecristo island, but you can dive there only with a special permission for scientific research.​

It's very personal. Depends what you like and what you get out of diving. I plan to spend this northern hemisphere summer diving in the Mediterranean. I like diving in clear, warm water. That makes me happy. A fish or two, or a wreck makes me even happier. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on diving there, but since I'm going DIY, cost is minimal. It's better than sitting on the sofa.

I spent 15 years working/Diving in Asia in some of the places you've mentioned and to put it simply there is just no point in trying to compare them to Europe. I live in Ireland now and the offshore Diving can be spectacular but it's entirely weather dependent (In a country not famous for it's balmy weather :wink:) Of the places you've mentioned visiting I would say Spain has the best diving. Cabo de Palos in Murcia SE Spain is far and away the best diving I've done in the Med in terms of fish life. Also clear water, wrecks and nice Underwater Topography. In the Balkans, Croatia is probably you're best option. It's nice diving but a world away from SE Asia. Not much life above 10 - 15m and cold below that. But the scenery is nice, cool walls and caves, and there is good wrecks and beautiful Coral growth below 15m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom