Where to learn diving w/asthma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sweet, lots of replies...

I understand pretty much everything is against me, but I'm going to try anyway. :)

hmmmm... get certified as a rec diver & go to school for Marine/ocean studies --- we need a study done down here in Florida on the long term effects of Shark Feeding. you can always take up welding to create underwater art as a hobby.

Question - when a dive school says "you must pass a dive physical" - what dive physical are they talking about? Is there a standard dive physical for commercial diving? Who authored this dive physical and its requirements?

I want to know if this is an industry standard or just a liability issue for the dive schools.

Question - when a dive school says "you must pass a dive physical" - what dive physical are they talking about? Is there a standard dive physical for commercial diving? Who authored this dive physical and its requirements?

I want to know if this is an industry standard or just a liability issue for the dive schools.
See my post #4. The physical (in the US) is an industry standard (and therefore a "liability issue"), agreed to by the Recreational Scuba Training Council. It is a *minimum* physical; more stringent requirements exist for commercial and scientific diving. But you've got to at least get through the RSTC physical to even be initially certified to dive.

Okay, thank you. What are the requirements for commercial diving? Who sets them? Are they mandatory? What is the next step after RSTC physical?

Can someone fill in the blank?
[Me (asthma)] -> ? <- [Employee of a commercial dive company]

Regardless of experience and job knowledge, what certification is required to work for a commercial dive company? What standards do they adhere to? Again, are they mandatory or optional? Where is the legal document stating medication-controlled illnesses are dis-qualifying factors?

I just want to know WHO is saying I can't dive commercially.

from DAI's website: Our selective admissions process carefully considers each applicant&#8217;s readiness for the intense learning experience that characterizes our commercial diving and underwater welding program. For prerequisites, all applicants must:
  • Have a minimum of a high school diploma or its equivalent (GED)
  • Be proficient in written and oral English
  • Be adept with mechanical skills
  • Be competent swimmers
  • Have a positive and productive work ethic
  • Be drug free, physically fit, and have no medical restrictions during their training program
  • "We are accredited at the national level by ACCSC as well as with various industry technical and diving organization."

Asthma in any form can be considered a medical restriction even if controlled. As long as it doesn't violate state or federal law the schools can decide what their admissions policies are. and it's a possible liability for any business that might hire
Also Commercial & Sci diving have to deal with OSHA as well.

these are US requirements -- no clue on other countries..

I think you need to just give up on becoming a commercial diver. I don't want to be a naysayer on anyone's dreams but sometimes you have to do a reality check and re-evaluate what is actually feasible. You might be able to get clearance for recreational diving so why don't you focus on trying to do that for a hobby and in the meantime focus on obtaining another career outside of commercial diving that you will enjoy.

Okay, thank you. What are the requirements for commercial diving? Who sets them? Are they mandatory? What is the next step after RSTC physical?

Can someone fill in the blank?
[Me (asthma)] -> ? <- [Employee of a commercial dive company]

Regardless of experience and job knowledge, what certification is required to work for a commercial dive company? What standards do they adhere to? Again, are they mandatory or optional? Where is the legal document stating medication-controlled illnesses are dis-qualifying factors?

I just want to know WHO is saying I can't dive commercially.

my best educated guess is that one of the keys that they are going off is OSHA

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10140

A to Z Index | En español | Contact Us | FAQs | About OSHA

OSHA
Newsletter RSS Feeds
printpage.png
Print This Page Text Size

&#8226; Part Number:1910
&#8226; Part Title:Occupational Safety and Health Standards
&#8226; Subpart:T
&#8226; Subpart Title:Commercial Diving Operations
&#8226; Standard Number: 1910 Subpart T App A
&#8226; Title:Examples of conditions which may restrict or limit exposure to hyperbaric conditions

Appendix A to 1910 Subpart T - Examples of conditions which may restrict or limit exposure to hyperbaric conditions
The following disorders may restrict or limit occupational exposure to hyperbaric conditions depending on severity, presence of residual effects, response to therapy, number of occurrences, diving mode, or degree and duration of isolation.
History of seizure disorder other than early febrile convulsions.
Malignancies (active) unless treated and without recurrence for
5 yrs.
Chronic inability to equalize sinus and/or middle ear pressure.
Cystic or cavitary disease of the lungs.
Impaired organ function caused by alcohol or drug use.
Conditions requiring continuous medication for control (e.g.,
antihistamines, steroids, barbiturates, moodaltering drugs,
or insulin).
Meniere's disease.
Hemoglobinopathies.
Obstructive or restrictive lung disease.
Vestibular end organ destruction.
Pneumothorax.
Cardiac abnormalities (e.g., pathological heart block, valvular
disease, intraventricular conduction defects other than isolated
right bundle branch block, angina pectoris, arrhythmia, coronary
artery disease).
Juxta-articular osteonecrosis.

Freedom of Information Act | Privacy & Security Statement | Disclaimers | Important Web Site Notices | International | Contact Us
U.S. Department of Labor | Occupational Safety & Health Administration | 200 Constitution Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20210
Telephone: 800-321-OSHA (6742) | TTY: 877-889-5627
www.OSHA.gov

Check with a doctor, check with a comnmercial diving company. But my guess is you won't believe what they say. So why do you think you might believe something some unknown person says on a public internet board?

I suspect if I were a commercial dive company I would not hire you because you are clearly not willing to do your own research and homework, and because you certainly do present yourself as a high-maintenance pain in the butt.

Cogaritis, you've now had two lengthy threads where you ask for advice about your diving dreams. Unfortunately you don't seem to be listening to the answers. If I recall correctly you have been denied entry to at least one commercial dive school because their physician declined to clear you for diving. The first thread went on at length and it became obvious that you're not going to be able to dive, either commercially or recreationally. It's harsh, but it's the plain unvarnished truth. Yes you still persist. It doesn't seem like you're looking for advice to me - you're looking for someone to validate your diving ambitions so that you can dive.

I think it's time you accept the reality - diving is not in the cards for you. You had people suggest other related career options to you and you indicated you'd pursue them instead. Why are you again spending the time of well-intentioned people asking for advice that isn't going to change from the LAST time you asked?

You seemed to have settled on shipyard welding as a career in the other thread. That's a great idea. Move to Bremerton, WA and apply to the Navy shipyard as an apprentice welder and please accept that diving is not meant to be part of your life. You're just causing yourself more heartbreak by denying reality. Dreams are great but at some point you have to face the light of day and accept that it's not meant to be.

-Adrian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom