Where to learn diving w/asthma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check with a doctor, check with a comnmercial diving company. But my guess is you won't believe what they say. So why do you think you might believe something some unknown person says on a public internet board?

I suspect if I were a commercial dive company I would not hire you because you are clearly not willing to do your own research and homework, and because you certainly do present yourself as a high-maintenance pain in the butt.

I do? Never!

---------- Post added April 17th, 2014 at 07:04 AM ----------

from DAI's website: Our selective admissions process carefully considers each applicant’s readiness for the intense learning experience that characterizes our commercial diving and underwater welding program. For prerequisites, all applicants must:
  • Have a minimum of a high school diploma or its equivalent (GED)
  • Be proficient in written and oral English
  • Be adept with mechanical skills
  • Be competent swimmers
  • Have a positive and productive work ethic
  • Be drug free, physically fit, and have no medical restrictions during their training program
  • "We are accredited at the national level by ACCSC as well as with various industry technical and diving organization."

Asthma in any form can be considered a medical restriction even if controlled. As long as it doesn't violate state or federal law the schools can decide what their admissions policies are. and it's a possible liability for any business that might hire
Also Commercial & Sci diving have to deal with OSHA as well.

these are US requirements -- no clue on other countries..

Yeah, I read those, and I appreciate the information. Their wording is not the best.

"Examples of conditions which may restrict or limit exposure to hyperbaric conditions
The following disorders may restrict or limit occupational exposure to hyperbaric conditions depending on severity, presence of residual effects, response to therapy, number of occurrences, diving mode, or degree and duration of isolation."

---------- Post added April 17th, 2014 at 07:08 AM ----------

Cogaritis, you've now had two lengthy threads where you ask for advice about your diving dreams. Unfortunately you don't seem to be listening to the answers. If I recall correctly you have been denied entry to at least one commercial dive school because their physician declined to clear you for diving. The first thread went on at length and it became obvious that you're not going to be able to dive, either commercially or recreationally. It's harsh, but it's the plain unvarnished truth. Yes you still persist. It doesn't seem like you're looking for advice to me - you're looking for someone to validate your diving ambitions so that you can dive.

I think it's time you accept the reality - diving is not in the cards for you. You had people suggest other related career options to you and you indicated you'd pursue them instead. Why are you again spending the time of well-intentioned people asking for advice that isn't going to change from the LAST time you asked?

You seemed to have settled on shipyard welding as a career in the other thread. That's a great idea. Move to Bremerton, WA and apply to the Navy shipyard as an apprentice welder and please accept that diving is not meant to be part of your life. You're just causing yourself more heartbreak by denying reality. Dreams are great but at some point you have to face the light of day and accept that it's not meant to be.

-Adrian

Again, thanks. I can dive recreationally and that's what I'm going to do. I'm starting my PADI Open Water in the next month, and I'm going to work my way up to master diver. The physicians I've spoken with state that I can't pass the physical for commercial, but recreational isn't a problem. Also, finding a job paying more than what I do now is going to be difficult, but I'm also going to go to school for welding. I'll reassess in a year or two.

@Adrian
I applied for a few jobs at the shipyard in Bremerton. No welding positions were available there, so I applied for electrician and mechanic positions, as well as an I.T. position in Seattle. I also penned a hand-written letter to the congressional operations and public affairs officer at the shipyard (hopefully they will see this as a sign that I'm genuinely interested). In the letter, I made a point to note my long term goal - to work on or around Navy ships, with a serious and growing interest in diving. Once I get up there, I can start school for whatever I decide to do. I'd like to work on the shipyard for a while just to get an idea of what areas I can move into.

I received my course material for PADI Open Water Diver certification and I'm studying that. I bought an above-ground pool so I can start swimming, extending my breath, familiarizing myself with diving gear (snorkel and fins at this point), and also to cool off because it's so goddamn hot out here. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." Or rather, just adapt.

So the answer to this thread is:
If you have asthma and you want to dive, depending on the severity, you can dive recreationally, but not commercially. There are OSHA guidelines relating to diving and asthma, but this is the only literature that I'm aware of. Commercial dive schools all have different prerequisites and medical restrictions, though asthma seems to be a disqualifer across the board. Today's world of litigation really limits what risks others are willing to take, and rightfully so. It's quite discouraging that it's come to this. Anyway, find a local, but certified PADI dive instructor and start taking classes. You may or may not have to get a medical waiver. I'm assuming this depends on the type of class you are taking. If you are taking PADI Open Water Diver, maybe not; if you are taking PADI Ice Diver or Deep Diver, then maybe so. Regardless, it's best to discuss with a physician on your own who is experienced in diving and asthma, if possible. You can contact D.A.N. (Divers Alert Network) for more information about what physicians in your area are available.

My relation:
I have exercise-induced asthma. I'm taking inhaled corticosteroids that have so far prevented any attacks that I have tried to provoke intentionally. I don't take this as a guarantee, because it's not. If I have an emergency at depth, I may very well die, and it will not be a easy, painless death. But I'm willing to die in order to dive - to me it is worth it. I assume adrenaline junkies share the same sentiment.

I'm glad you're making attempts to further your career.

That being aid, this statement is of great concern to me:

"But I'm willing to die in order to dive - to me it is worth it".

Both PADI and NAUI have a lengthy list of absolute and relative contraindicators for diving, and both list "Inappropriate motivation for diving (or dive training)".

Being willing to die in order to be able to dive is NOT in my opinion a standard response, nor is it an appropriate motivator.

And your assumption about adrenaline junkies is not correct either. I have participated in high adrenaline activities for decades now - it has NOTHING to do with being willing to die and everything to do with NOT dying.

Your comments and mindset are a huge red flag for me. As an instructor I would have great concern over you wanting to dive if during our introductory session I discovered you were willing to die in order to dive. That speaks to a willingness to take risks that is simply not acceptable in recreational diving.

Again, I urge you to reconsider. Diving is NOT for everyone, and your very obsession and fixation on it make it an activity you should not be attempting.

-Adrian

I'm glad you're making attempts to further your career.

That being aid, this statement is of great concern to me:

"But I'm willing to die in order to dive - to me it is worth it".

Both PADI and NAUI have a lengthy list of absolute and relative contraindicators for diving, and both list "Inappropriate motivation for diving (or dive training)".

Being willing to die in order to be able to dive is NOT in my opinion a standard response, nor is it an appropriate motivator.

And your assumption about adrenaline junkies is not correct either. I have participated in high adrenaline activities for decades now - it has NOTHING to do with being willing to die and everything to do with NOT dying.

Your comments and mindset are a huge red flag for me. As an instructor I would have great concern over you wanting to dive if during our introductory session I discovered you were willing to die in order to dive. That speaks to a willingness to take risks that is simply not acceptable in recreational diving.

Again, I urge you to reconsider. Diving is NOT for everyone, and your very obsession and fixation on it make it an activity you should not be attempting.

-Adrian

Interesting. So the sky divers, race car drivers, stunt pilots, extreme sport enthusiasts, not to mention every member of the armed forces' willingness to die is a bad thing? Perhaps I worded it wrong then. Death is an obvious risk for the aforementioned; that doesn't mean you have to seek it out.

You obviously have no interest in listening to reason. You have made up your mind and no rational argument will deter you. I wish you success but I am not optimistic about your chances. Being willing to die doesn't make you a diver - it makes you an idiot.

And with that I will now ignore any further comments from you. They're a waste of bandwidth.

-Adrian

Now I am scared. I hope I never ever meet a dive buddy with an attitude like this with a point to prove about himself. And I am likely going to be unprepared and unable to cope with his excercise induced asthma attack underwater triggered by unexpectedly strong currents on a bad day. A risk to my own safety not just his own.

~P

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

You may or may not have to get a medical waiver. I'm assuming this depends on the type of class you are taking. If you are taking PADI Open Water Diver, maybe not; if you are taking PADI Ice Diver or Deep Diver, then maybe so.
This is not correct, as you have already been told. You need the medical waiver for ALL diving classes. Period. Suck it up.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@Adrian

My relation: But I'm willing to die in order to dive - to me it is worth it. I assume adrenaline junkies share the same sentiment.

It's obvious you have NO clue as to what diving is about if you did you might realize with making that statement you are also putting your buddy and anyone else who might be on a dive with you in the same peril of dying thanks to your arrogance and ignorance .
People like you should NOT be diving.
I hope your future instructor sees this statement.

As much as I hate to bring this post back to life, I wanted to apologize. You have all provided helpful advice and yet I simply chose to ignore it. I wanted to end this thread with people seeing that yes, I was wrong, and so was my attitude. I'm not sure if I can edit my posts - but I won't. I will leave them as-is so people can learn from them. It'll also stand as a reminder to me for how I've grown.

D

Back
Top Bottom