Where to log???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recommend picking up a plain lined record book at an office supply store. You can then take as much or as little space for each dive as you think that dive rates. Wanna put 6 dives on a page? You can. Wanna use 6 pages for one dive? You can. Wanna sketch something from the dive - fish, bottom feature, wreck, etc.? You can.

It beats all the preprinted logs I've ever seen.

purchased a binder that will hold SSI inserts for around $10.00.

I plan to use this and purchase the SSI inserts for the first 50 dives and see how it works.

Eventually, I will devise my own log pages and use them.

I just log mine when I get home into a Excel spreadsheet. I have yet to be asked to see my log, and if they do, they better have internet access, becuase it's on the web. http://northfloridadiver.net/divelog.htm

Will probably start loggin into my PDA when neccesary, then sync it up with the spread. Screw paper.

Hey jviehe, thats the cheapest idea I've ever heard of. Dude, there is no signatures of anyone to prove you really did this dives. Where do the people sign???? I think thats the problem with that.......:rolleyes:

I now log my dives in my Palm (divelog). I log my dives for my own use, not to "prove" my experience (anyone who gives me crap about an electronic log isn't someone I'd bother diving with), so the lack of paper isn't a problem for me. No, I don't get the pretty resort stamps, but frankly I equate collecting resort stamps with collecting PADI merit badges. Having the log in a backed up format saves me the worry of losing it, it allows me to correlate the dive information with data downloaded from my Sensus, and takes up very, very little space when travelling.

I was always really bad about logging dives. when I did, the info was usually not complete, and I hardly never rememberd to get my buddy to sign it.

I now have Sunnto Cobra which downloads much more info than I ever recorded and I can add notes if I want to. As far as signature as proof...well, each dive that my computer downloads has the computer "signature" (the serial number of the computer). If someone wants more than that, and my DM card, I guess I won't be diving with them!

I currently use the SSI pages - cause I got 50 dives worth when I certed. I don't think I will continue using them when I exhaust them in about 2 weeks.

The "check box" style dive logs become restrictive really fast - i.e. SSI only gives you 5 options for what exposure suit you're wearing - none of which match my possible configurations, also they only give you one little spot for weight - so I find my self writing my weight distrubution between the lines.

I recenly got the downloading software for my Vyper so I might write up my dives in that and print them out. (This would also help in posting dive reports here.) I also might design my own pages with checkboxes that reflect the gear set-ups and conditions in which I dive. I tend to write a lot down, I like having DATA. I use my log as a place to critique my dives and the successes/failures of the buddy team on that day. I make notes about the site, occassionaly with sketches. I keep meticulous records about the conditions, gear-configs, and gas cosumption which greatly help with planning down the road.

Mer's perception of the role of the log:
1. Proof of dives done
2. Jog the memory *warm fuzzies*
3. Analyize and learn from your experience (technique)
4. Track gas consumption (SAC rate)
5. Aid in planning

What Mer thinks a log should contain:
Of course, your mileage may vary!
1. Hard copy (or printable) - I may ask new buddies to see their log, so will many instructors and dive boats.
2. An organization method - since others may look at your log, some protocol so that information is easily digestable
3. Info - site, conditions, depth, time, gas usage, gear, weighting, buddy (at minimum)
4. Something that makes the log legit - I think a narative is the best way to accomplish this.

A note on signatures: I only have a few of my dives signed or stamped. This is partially because my log does not come out of the car/dry bag unless we're planning the day - before things are wet. I write my pressures or other numbers I won't remember or are not in my computer on my dive slate and fill out the log within a day of the dive. I feel that a narative is much more difficult to fake than is a signature.

Back
Top Bottom