Where to repair broken pull dump?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,

After a little more than 100 dives, the pull dump on my Voyager wing broke. Has this happened to anyone else and is there any chance Dive Rite would cover the repair? If so, would I ship it away or take it to a shop that sells Dive Rite?

Thanks!

Should be a simple repair depending on exactly what failed. If you can determine that, then you could get part(s) online. Otherwise start with your local dealer.

Dive Rite Remote Exhaust Elbow | Dive Gear Express®

I don't personally believe in pull dumps because they are completely unnecessary and are actually harder to use imho, but if you want to continue using one, that is the part that you will need. That will replace the pull part, the diaphragm and the cable. Remove the oral inflator and push the pin out, and swap everything over. Fairly easy to do.

The pulldump on my rec exp broke. It was easy to see that it was the cable inside that had broken. I had some coated wire that was a similar material, and replaced it with that. If you open both ends of the hose, you'll see it's a very simple mechanism. A wire attached to a small piece of metal on the far end, and onto the dump its-self on the near end.

Or you could just order the elbow tbone linked. It's pretty reasonably priced.

You could probably get cable similar to what is used at your local home improvement store for under 10 bucks.

I don't personally believe in pull dumps because they are completely unnecessary and are actually harder to use imho, but if you want to continue using one, that is the part that you will need.

Back when I had an Air2, actually one of it's clones, I found the pull dump easier due to the length of the exhaust hose and when actually breathing off the Air2. When I went back to two seconds and a shorter exhaust hose, I find no need for a pull dump. Just another matter of choice.

Bob

If the wire is broken you can use stainless steel fishing leader wire. That iscwhat it looks like a lot of the manufacturers use. I've even seen them with the same types of crimps and snap hooks that they use on leader wire.

Totally a matter of opinion. As Bob noted, they make dumping while ascending on an air2 type device much simpler. Also in my opinion makes it easier to dump gas without breaking trim. I use a combination of pull/butt dump most of the time. Rarely do I use the power inflator dump.

I don't use a pull dump in sidemount because it sticks out slightly more than a non-dumping elbow and there's no tank to protect it. I do miss it when I don't have it. I'd like to see another design of pull dump that sticks out less. Maybe the valve could be after the elbow (on the bladder side) thus eliminating the hazard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom