Where to Start With Instructor Development?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd spend some time on the physics.

A good foundation there will make some of the other areas much easier.

If all else fails start skimming your books, if the information seems clear and easy to understand- skip it and spend your time before the class trying to work through the sections that aren't as easy.

And best of luck to you in your program!

Ok, no one can help huh? Only doubt. Well, I have been diving for about 5 years now somewhat regularly. I'm going to go through this program in about two months. I'm not saying I will be a great instructor as soon as I'm finished, but it is definately a start to a job I feel truly pasionate about. The reason I ask what I should get a head start on, is because I want to do the best I can and learn as much as I can in what I agree is a very short amount time.
Whats the hurry you ask? I have been working a job I hate for the last 5 years and either I can stay there for another 5 working my way up in diving, or I can quit and get started now, at a young age, and build as much experience as possible. I dont want to be a good instructor living all over the world at 50, I want it at 30.
I agree that this is a difficult program with a lot to learn. That is why I'm asking for your imput. I have already sunk a large amount of money into this, so criticism isn't going to help or make me change my mind. I have also done a lot of research on what I want to do here, so please don't think I'm clueless about what I'm getting myself into.
Thanks again to anyone who can provide some positive input on this.

I can tell you from experience that if I could go back and do it again, I wouldn't have gone through a program like the one you are about to go through. I went to Hall's Dive center in Marathon Florida and had similar experience. I was OW and had been diving for about five years and did their program that made me an instructor in 2.5 months. The education was great and I learned a lot. What the school didn't teach me is everything I have learned since in experience that I really could have used before I became an instructor. The program isn't easy and will definitely keep you busy and it's a lot of fun. Just don't graduate from the program thinking that life will be good. The program I attended advertised that instructors make tons of money and that 100% of their graduates had been placed in jobs. The reality is that if I had the experience that an instructor needs, I would have known that the "tons of money" was a ridiculous claim. The other reality was that the reason 100% of their graduates had been placed in jobs is that they did process your certifications until you had been accepted into a job. Ergo, no job offer, no certs.

The last thing and quite an important one is the cost. I paid (and am still paying) a lot of money for an education that is taking forever to pay off. I would rather have gone through the stages slowly and gained experience while having a manageable budget to deal with.

I have had tons of fun since I became an instructor but again, to go back again I would much rather gain experience before having the responsibilities of a DM or instructor. If you decide to go through with this then good luck and I wish you the best. Just don't buy all of the "fantastic pay" and "our graduates are desired by the best" crap.

To answer your question though, my toughest time there was on the diving physiology. The physics are tough but I didn't have a terrible time with them. Just practice the math a lot and don't procrastinate with the lectures and briefings you'll be expected to prepare.

I will have to echo what AndyNZ said about the DM portion. I did most of my training with the same instructor (a really great guy but a little lax on standards) and felt my DM training was lacking. I didn't do a lot of what I found out later was required and I joined up with a group from my shop that was advancing to Assistant Instructor and the Instructor. I did my A.I. with a real stickler AND with both of us knowing that in reality this was my DM training as it should have been. He worked my butt off and the others worked with me and together and I felt ready to be a very good DM or Assistant Instructor. About that time an offer that I couldn't refuse was made by the shop to go ahead and go for the full IDC which I just completed (part time) and I passed the I.E. but due to my work schedule have not had the chance to teach any classes yet. Do I feel ready? Yes but with some caveats. My main dread is the class where everyone but a couple of students shows up prepared and I have to divide them up. I will probably teach about a quarter of what my buddies do just because of my work schedule.

Really get to know the Instructor Manual, and the Instructor Candidate Manual. There is a TON of information in both. The Encyclopedia of Rec Diving is the BIBLE.
It is a learning system. Use it and don't jump ahead and you will do fine.
Learn the knots required for DM. My I.E. had four different people assigned to teach them. Use your assistants effectively. NEVER EVER leave a student alone...surface or underwater. Especially at the I.E. They ARE watching.

Don't forget to dive for fun. Very important.

Last edited:
At the end of this month I will be doing a program to go from Open Water (which I am now) all the way to Master Scuba Diver Trainer. This includes Advanced, Master Scuba Diver, EFR, CFC, DAN O2, Rescue, Nitrox, Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, EFR/CFC Instructor, Open Water Instructor, Master Scuba Diver Trainer & DAN DES Instructor. ... My question is, what have all of you found to be the most difficult part of this type of program? What would be of beneit to look over thoroughly and what should I just skim through and not worry too much about?
Four comments: 1) I suspect that what each individual struggles with varies. But in DM, in the IDC and in preparing for the IE, most of my classmates (different groups for each) had the highest anxiety about Physics and Physiology, followed by Equipment. So, using the DM manual and the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, I would start to master that knowledge, now. Yes, there is a lot of didactic material in all the courses, but much of it is pretty straightforward. 2) In preparing for AI/IDC, and for EFR/CFC Instructor, I would thoroughly review the material on preparing a presentation, that is included in the Instructor Candidate Workbook - a Knowledge Development presentation, a Confined Water skill presentation, an Open Water skill presentation, etc. That is the heart of AI/IDC - learning how to teach the PADI way. 3) You should probably print the General Standards and Procedures section from the Instructor Manual, and read through it 3-4 times, skimming to develop the ability to identify quickly where information is, not necessarily memorizing the information. In the PADI system, adherence to standards is a area of heavy emphasis, and knowing how to locate information is a key to success. 4) I suspect you are probably in good physical shape, and 3 weeks (before you start) is not a large time interval. But, I would spend as much of the time as possible making certain you are in condition for what will be a grueling experience - there is simply a lot to accomplish in a relatively short time. Going from OW to MSDT will necessarily invovle a LOT of time in the water - pool and open water. The Watermanship skills are not 'Ironman' level by any means, but it would seem reasonable to be comfortable with your ability to complete them easily, before starting the program.

Sounds like you will be immersed (figuratively, and literally) in diving education for the next couple of months. And, I agree with you - better to do it at 30 (when you have the energy) than 50. Out of curiosity, where is the program that includes accomplishing all of this in a 2 month period? Not criticising the program at all, rather very curious about it. Do you have a web link to a description?

As I've said, I am aware of what I'm geting into. I have already had these discussions with numerous people and professionals. I'm doing this regardless of what is posted here, so if you don't want to answere the question asked, your input isn't getting through to me. I have a feeling this discussion is geting away from my origional question and turning into another "Being a instructor is a bad idea" discussion. All I wanted was some ideas of what to start early, and what can be easily picked up on while in the program. So far I've goten no help with this question, so I give up here. Thanks for nothing.

Being an instructor is very rewarding, however you have a disconnect in your thinking.

You will not be able to freely travel the world teaching and you will not be able to make very much money. Also, the "zero to hero" programs will give you a card, but your employer won't really care about that, they'll want experience and a track record.

Other than that, go have fun. When you're done you'll probably be broke, but it will have been an experience. Then you can get a real job.

Terry

Ok, no one can help huh? Only doubt. Well, I have been diving for about 5 years now somewhat regularly. I'm going to go through this program in about two months. I'm not saying I will be a great instructor as soon as I'm finished, but it is definately a start to a job I feel truly pasionate about.
I have also done a lot of research on what I want to do here, so please don't think I'm clueless about what I'm getting myself into.
Thanks again to anyone who can provide some positive input on this.

If you have been diving for about 5 years and only have 50 - 99 dives, you have been a vacation diver. You need to dive in many different conditions and up your dive experience first.
It good to be passionate. I am. I always was. But I didn't ask for input and then select only agreeing viewpoints to hear and think about. You seem to be doing just that.

As I've said, I am aware of what I'm geting into. I have already had these discussions with numerous people and professionals. I'm doing this regardless of what is posted here, so if you don't want to answere the question asked, your input isn't getting through to me. I have a feeling this discussion is geting away from my origional question and turning into another "Being a instructor is a bad idea" discussion. All I wanted was some ideas of what to start early, and what can be easily picked up on while in the program. So far I've goten no help with this question, so I give up here. Thanks for nothing.

You seem angry that you aren't hearing what you want to hear. Welcome to the world.
Let me add a little different perspective to this. I am an instructor and I also own the dive shop.
I do NOT make tons of money, even as the owner. Instructors do not make bank. They choose this career because it is a lifestyle Don't be under Any illusions tat you will ever make any real money at it. You will have a great time if you are good experienced instructor.

I get applications from new instructors all the time. Let me tell you what I ask them first.
I want to know how many dives you've had over how long, how long had you been a divemaster and working as one. Tell me about the classes you have worked, what did you have the most trouble with? What is your best asset as a divemaster.
As an instructor how many courses have you taught? How many have you certified, in what levels? What conditions have you taught in? What do you teach about the panic cycle? You will not have had opportunity to experience situations to have answers to these questions.

You can learn all this. But it takes a lot of time. You need to work as a divemaster. That is one of the most important things you can do. That goes a long way to helping you be a better instructor.

Now, no matter how many people may dislike this statement, it is true and not just of my shop. If you have run through a zero to hero course, and in only 2 months, I would not even look at you. My dm course takes at LEAST that long alone. You will have worked very hard but you need time to practice skills and knowledge before I would entrust my customers to you.

Take some more time. Work hard, but stretch it out a bit. Good luck.

Now, no matter how many people may dislike this statement, it is true and not just of my shop. If you have run through a zero to hero course, and in only 2 months, I would not even look at you.

Yep....same here.

Matt, take a look at this:

PADI Divemaster Exam Study Guide

It will help you develop your Dive Theory knowledge and prepare for the exams. You will take them 3 times during your course. (DM, IDC, IE)

I also would tell you to take time with the DM course. Spent nearly a year in mine. But in that time I assisted with over 60 certifications from jr OW to Recsue. There really is no substitute for actual experience. It's why in our DM program candidates actually begin teaching classes. Under supervision of course but in addition to getting your skills up to snuff which could take a few days or a month to truly get demonstration quality. ANd just what is demo quality? It's not being able to effortlessly clear your mask in half a second. It's being able to slowly and in an exaggerated fashion show every single movement to someone who has never done this before so that they clearly see each "critical attribute" of the skill. You should be able to do while hovering.

I'm also of the school that these zero to heroes are less than optimal. It concerns me that you are not worried about being a great instructor but seem to just want to get it done. This is one of the major problems with the industry today and why there are so many "underwater tourists" as opposed to divers. I would never issue a cert to a student who required a DM on a dive. There is no excuse for people hitting the reef, swimming like they are riding a bicycle, or not knowing how to figure out how much weight they need. These are the results of laziness, lack of training, and greed. Every instructor should at least strive to be the best that they can. To not do this is foolish and could prove dangerous. One needs to ask the question that if it came down to it would I let my wife, son, daughter, etc dive with the person I just trained? If there is any hesitation then that instructor has failed to do his/her job.

Hit the encyclopaedia hard to get it out of the way, there's a lot of very detailed knowledge you need for the DM and OWSI exams. Try and grab as many hours in the water with other instructors on courses as you can to use the experience they have gained. Be confident in yourself when surrounded by other candidates that perhaps have more experience than you - the majority of the people doing the IE with you will bend over backwards to help you as no-one wants other IE candidates to fail (that was my experience, at least).
By the sounds of what you have written your humility and awareness of the situation will take you a long way, the last thing we need is yet another instructor whose ego only just fits on the dive boat!
Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom