Where to Start With Instructor Development?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, no one can help huh? Only doubt. Well, I have been diving for about 5 years now somewhat regularly. I'm going to go through this program in about two months. I'm not saying I will be a great instructor as soon as I'm finished, but it is definately a start to a job I feel truly pasionate about. The reason I ask what I should get a head start on, is because I want to do the best I can and learn as much as I can in what I agree is a very short amount time.
Whats the hurry you ask? I have been working a job I hate for the last 5 years and either I can stay there for another 5 working my way up in diving, or I can quit and get started now, at a young age, and build as much experience as possible. I dont want to be a good instructor living all over the world at 50, I want it at 30.
I agree that this is a difficult program with a lot to learn. That is why I'm asking for your imput. I have already sunk a large amount of money into this, so criticism isn't going to help or make me change my mind. I have also done a lot of research on what I want to do here, so please don't think I'm clueless about what I'm getting myself into.
Thanks again to anyone who can provide some positive input on this.

Matt,

You should've have expected a bunch of naysayers on a thread like this one. Remember, many "dive professionals" are ticked because it only takes like two months and a few thousand dollars to get to their level of certification (but not their level of experience). Teaching recreational diving is kind of like a blue collar, skilled trade type of sport, and there's really only the bare minimum of requirements to do any of it. So the people who actually take it seriously get ticked when someone runs up behind them and gets as qualified as they are. This is why being a scuba instructor means very little money and in many cases, varying degrees of people taking you seriously. Do what you want, who cares what anyone says. If this were that serious of a matter, you would need to go to a special school to learn it, like say a college for example. You don't see people running off to Roatan to get their PhD for three grand. Then of course, dive agencies wouldn't be able to make millions by certifying every schlep that comes their way as a DM, instructor, etc. That's just diving.

I did exactly what you are going to do and it was the best thing I ever did. I think alot of instructors who are writing you are wrong. Teaching is half experience and half passion.

I agree. I am a better teacher than many of the older, more experienced ones I've worked around. Experience does NOT make you smart, or garner you an ability to motivate or lead. Many times it just makes you older, more bitter, full of outdated knowledge, and sometimes fatter. Being a good teacher, of any flavor, comes from genuinely being adept at it. I think diving is the same way. Experience in a job you do maybe once a month is not the golden ticket, passion and real ability is a better quantifier. You can be as experienced as you want, but I've met some scuba instructors with thousands of dives who could barely tie their own shoes because they were so slovenly, and their intellect matched their appearance. I take a good college education more seriously than I take some recreational scuba instructor's card that many 17 year old kids in high school possess the skills to attain.

This site, for example, mentions that their instructor course takes from "4 days to 3 weeks".

http://www.oceanconcepts.com/diver_training/go_pro/open_water_scuba_instructor

Does anyone wonder why many dive professionals are not taken all that seriously? I work at a dive shop and it doesn't fool me. It takes longer to learn how to be a cook in the Army then it does to teach people to dive. You need an 8th grade education to be a cook in the Army. Stuff like this is why I get paid 10 bucks an hour when I work at the shop.

The hardest part for me was not the skills. The skills come easy. The knowledge comes easy. It is the learning to teach. I cannot tell a joke infront of a class to save my life. I am just not funny like that. I noticed that people who can have an easier time teaching. This is part of the reason that I teach mostly private lessons. I have an easier time teaching and it is better for the student. Practice teaching your lessons in front of a group. Make sure this group is made up of people who will tell you honestly how you did, not just people who will blow smoke up your a** to spare your feelings. Take the criticism and learn from it.
Work hard, study your materials. Know the standards you must teach by.
Probably one of the books I used most was the NAUI Master Diver book, tons of good info.
Use 3x5 cards to study with. Write one fact on each card and use those as your study materials. This helps focus your mind, your not as distracted by other material.

This is the best advise I can give you. It is not the knowedge or the skills, those come easy. It is the teaching that takes the most work.

Matt:

Where are you doing your program? Perhaps if we know which school you are going to the constructive ones among us can give you some advice based on first hand knowledge of those programs...

P

I guess that you guys answered the question that I was going to ask... Go on an extended vacation to one of those schools that offers DM internship versus taking DM training at home and just going on vacations to dive.

Hello Matt
I am not an expert on this issue. I do have a couple of thoughts that I wanted to share with you. If your goal is to start a new career in the diving business it is important to make your self as employable as possible. If you had the ability to fix a compresor or to fix a diesel engine, or to pilot a dive boat, you would be valuable to a dive shop, especially if the dive shop was in a remote area. If you had these abilities, you could continue your education while working in the business in some other way. I know that life is very short. If I was your age, I would pursue the dream of working if the diving business, and let nothing get in my way. These are my thoughts, nothing more or less, no offence intended to anyone.
Good luck to you Matt.
Tom

I agree. I am a better teacher than many of the older, more experienced ones I've worked around. Experience does NOT make you smart, or garner you an ability to motivate or lead. Many times it just makes you older, more bitter, full of outdated knowledge, and sometimes fatter. Being a good teacher, of any flavor, comes from genuinely being adept at it. I think diving is the same way. Experience in a job you do maybe once a month is not the golden ticket, passion and real ability is a better quantifier. You can be as experienced as you want, but I've met some scuba instructors with thousands of dives who could barely tie their own shoes because they were so slovenly, and their intellect matched their appearance. I take a good college education more seriously than I take some recreational scuba instructor's card that many 17 year old kids in high school possess the skills to attain.

This site, for example, mentions that their instructor course takes from "4 days to 3 weeks".

Open Water Scuba Instructor / Go Pro! / Diver Training / Scuba Diving Oahu with Ocean Concepts Hawaii - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

Does anyone wonder why many dive professionals are not taken all that seriously? I work at a dive shop and it doesn't fool me. It takes longer to learn how to be a cook in the Army then it does to teach people to dive. You need an 8th grade education to be a cook in the Army. Stuff like this is why I get paid 10 bucks an hour when I work at the shop.

Not to start an argument or highjack this thread, but if I read your qualifications correctly, you are NOT a SCUBA Instructor; you are currently a DMT. If you ever do become an Instructor, then you may have the requisite knowledge base be able to contribute more effectively to this debate. Right now you are just a post grad student with an attitude.

Drop the attitude; it's blinding you, dude.

I'd like to offer a novice's perspective on this FWIW. First, I encourage the OP to pursue his dream and wish him all possible luck.

Currenlty I'm retaking OW after a very long hiatus from diving. My instructor is great, and one of the things I like most about him is his very extensive dive experience. He's been in hairy situations, travelled all over the world to different dive sites, done extensive wreck diving on the east coast, etc etc. His experience is what makes him so valuable. Anyone can learn the factual body of information that makes up the instructors theoretical knowledge. Hell, I can read too. But his practical experience is what gives me confidence. I know if I ask an off the wall question he can answer it from personal knowledge instead of working it out from what he's been taught.

Not only would I feel less confidant in an instructor with minimal qualifications I would look for another instructor. Passion is important, but more is needed before I'd trust them with me or my kids.

BTW, this awesome instructor earns his living at a day job and does this in his spare time.

I don't mean any of this to discourage the OP from pursuing his goals, I wish him well with that. Just $0.02 from someone who isn't a crusty old salt.

Not to start an argument or highjack this thread, but if I read your qualifications correctly, you are NOT a SCUBA Instructor; you are currently a DMT. If you ever do become an Instructor, then you may have the requisite knowledge base be able to contribute more effectively to this debate. Right now you are just a post grad student with an attitude.

Drop the attitude; it's blinding you, dude.

I didn't say that I was. I am however, a teacher, so I know what it takes to teach people. I went to school for 8 years for that, not three weeks like you did to learn to teach scuba. I happen to like my attitude just fine, so I'm going to "Charlie mike", and take my attitude with me. You can feel free to not to listen to my opinion if you do not like it. Sorry if I hit too close to home for your comfort.

I didn't say that I was. I am however, a teacher, so I know what it takes to teach people. I went to school for 8 years for that, not three weeks like you did to learn to teach scuba. I happen to like my attitude just fine, so I'm going to "Charlie mike", and take my attitude with me. You can feel free to not to listen to my opinion if you do not like it. Sorry if I hit too close to home for your comfort.

"Close to home"? Wow... you really ARE clueless about me aren't you?

I guess ignorance truly is bliss...

Back
Top Bottom