Where to stay in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leejnd:
Thanks for the feedback! I've also been looking at Placencia -- it seems that might be a better choice. Less "touristy" than Ambergris Caye, as well as easier access to topside adventures (we don't want to spend our ENTIRE vacation diving). My one concern is, how is the diving around Placencia? It looks as if Seahorse is the only dive shop in the area...is this correct?

Thanks again for any help!

No quick diving in Placencia - your pretty much out all day - if you want to dive with seahorse- make a reservation - we couldnt get on a boat - We dived with Southern Belize which was interesting and maybe just a little bit scary!!!! Boat ran out of fuel, was pretty titchy and v uncomfy!! Also dived with Turtle Inn - very expensive and keep you hanging on till the last sec to know if you can actually go out. I love Ambergris - think it's the ideal holiday location - easy and cheap to get to the mainland - lots of restaurants to chose from and great people!! Added bonus is your out early in the morning and back by lunch so you dont spend all day diving if you dont want to!

I am leaving for Belize tonight. Will be staying at Belizean shores. I will be diving with Amigos del mar. I will post a review of my trip when I return on the 17th.

edude794:
I am leaving for Belize tonight. Will be staying at Belizean shores. I will be diving with Amigos del mar. I will post a review of my trip when I return on the 17th.

edude794,

Have fun! We stayed there last year and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves - the rooms are great. Amigos had some great snacks and rum drinks for the trip back from Turneffe when we did a fill day dive with them. We also dove with PeterBJ/ProTech, so check them out while you are there.

The bartender at Belizean Shores was very good. He got a kick out of the fact that I learned the local two-fingers-over-your-head wave with the "whats up" head thing. You'll see what I mean after a few days.

We are also from Colorado (next door in Golden!) and ran into a couple from Carbondale, CO while sitting at the swim up bar. When they said where they were from, I said.... "oh... Car-bahn-da-lay?" The guy was floored that someone else knew the local "french" pronunciation of Carbondale (down-valley to Aspen).

Make sure to rent a bike and head into town - buy some fruit and Belikins for your room. We also bought some eggs and tortillas from the tortilla factory in town and had a nice breakfast (and saved some money) in the room. The staff cleaned our dishes each day - what a treat!

Looking forward to your trip report. :popcorn:

I'm heading out to Belize (Caye Caulker - Frenchies) on the 17th. I'll also post a review on my return.

Hi Leejnd,

I would suggest Diving in Ambergris and then stay on the mainland to do your over water activities - ruins, jugle tours, zip lines, Belize Zoo etc. I can recommend Corona Del Mar in Ambergris and Windy Hill Resort in San Ignacio. I can only recommend Placencia if you are looking for a very, very, very laid back vacation. Honestly, I was bored in Placencia and wished I would have stayed in Ambergris or Caye Caulker or even San Ignacio for another week. Granted the weather conditions in Placencia prevented dive trips from going out, but the cost to dive was twice as much as in Ambergris.

2Bluewater

for people interested in doing a little bit of everything, there is a new lodge that opened up right off the coast of Belize City. provides quick access to Turneffe and Lighthouse, but also close enough to the city that full and 1/2 day trips inland are easy to do. they also offer other activties like sea kayaking..

it is owned by Hugh Parkey's Belize Dive Connection, so the diving is top notch.

here is the site...

www.belizeadventurelodge.com

:D We got back on Sunday and I still haven't come down from the fun. We stayed at the Belizean Shores. The staff was excellant and took great care of us. They didnt have our room ready when we got there. They upgraded our room and gave us free drinks and dinner without us asking. The rooms are great and have full kitchens. They have the best pool on the island. I loved the layed back feel of the island. I would go back there in a minute. I did my diving with Amigos del Mar and they were great. They provide fruit and drinks in between dives. I did the dives to the Blue hole and Turnette island. Both were great. The locale dives were great also. The only problems were the trips into town. Your only choices are a water taxi or rent a golf cart. We rented a golf cart our first day and went in and got grocerys. Belize is not cheap but it is worth the adventure. Any questions feel free to shoot me a email.
Thanks
Eddie :14:

My GF and I just got back from Caye Caulker. Our impression was the reefs were being fished (we even discussed this over lunch with about 5 other fairly experienced divers). I agree, the reefs were definitely less populated than a couple of years ago when we stayed on Ambergris (wow, which has really changed in a couple of years!).
Read my post about Caye Caulker. I'll answer any questions about it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom