Where to store a sea sausage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with pretty much everything you've said. Dropping weights is almost never the right choice. When discussing usage of my weighting system with a new buddy, I preface it with, "If you want to kill me, pull here." What doesn't help is the agencies telling students, "95% of divers found dead underwater had their weight belts still on." Well, who cares? Would it have actually have saved them if they dropped the weights!?

With my BP/Wings, dropping the belt has to be very intentional, since the crotch strap holds it in....unbuckle waist-strap, remove crotch strap, unbuckle weight belt, drop weight belt, ascend way to fast to the surface.

My only argument is that there is a better place to put a marker buoy than on your weight belt. The butt D-ring being a good place (if you have one). For one thing, it makes losing your weightbelt that much more likely. I can envision a situation where something catches on the dring on your weight belt and through some fluke, pulls the whole thing off. Now you're in a big cluster-F...

The X-Tek has a space between the back pad and the harness itself. The back pad attaches to the the harness with a piece of velcro. Try folding the sausage (rolling it up could become uncomfortable) and putting it there. I've not tried this, mind you, it's just a thought.

AaronBBrown once bubbled...

My only argument is that there is a better place to put a marker buoy than on your weight belt. The butt D-ring being a good place (if you have one). For one thing, it makes losing your weightbelt that much more likely. I can envision a situation where something catches on the dring on your weight belt and through some fluke, pulls the whole thing off. Now you're in a big cluster-F...

Ok. That sounds plausible. Along the same lines you could get it hooked and have to remove your weightbelt to get it loose again. Never thought about that..... The chance of something like that happening are still pretty small but the problem it could create might not be.

R..

Try rolling it up, put two small pieces of surgical tubing to retain it and hang it off the backplate or in your case the bottom of your knock off transpac. ( Butt mount}To deploy it all you have to do is reach back and pull it out of the bungees that are attached to the pack.

The Scubapro X-Tec is the old Transpac design. They bought it off DiveRite when they changed to the design to the (inferior) Transpac II. Having dived both, I can sat the Scubapro one is better, but neither are a patch on a Backplate and wings. The TPII had a tendency to come unclipped on me, which didn't impress me too much, especially the last time it happened to me (coincidentally the last time I dived it...) I still had 20 minutes of stops to do and hanging half out of a harness is not the best way to maintain decent trim... Not that I have any! :wink:

Chris

. . . Scubapro bought Sonaform (s.p?) who was making the Transpac for Dive Rite and somehow had the design patents on it. So when Scubapro bought Sonaform, the design of the Transpac became Scubapro's and Dive Rite had to design the Transpac II.
I will agreee with you about the back plate though. My next BC will definately be one.

Hey, don't I know you? Didn't I run into you in a cave somewhere in Mexico? In fact, I think it was YOU who sold me my knock-off Transpac.

I think one reason why ditching the weight belt is reinforced so much in class is for that diver who is struggling at the surface in a panicked situation.

Usually the last thing they are thinking about is that weight belt.

For some people new to diving the gear can be somewhat overwelming. If they get into a situation where they rush to the surface OOA, or otherwise, they will likely forget to inflate the bc, and drop the weight belt.

Also, with regard to the SMB attached to the weight belt. If I have to do an in-water rescue with an unconscious victim. As soon as I get them to the surface and start giving rescue breaths, I am goind to lose their weight belt and my own. Now let's assume in this scenario we are diving from a boat and currents are strong. Once I get both of us positive and continue rescue (assuming I haven't been able to signal the boat already) breathing I am going to start thinking about getting that SMB out and using it, but it was attached to the weight belts that I already sent to the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom