Where to test equipment in MA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:

I checked a couple of on line maps and they list the two ponds right next to each other as "The Hathaway Ponds."

LobstaMan

MSilvia:
IThis deep, cold water pond was once a favorite training site when ocean conditions were unfavorable, but has since shown problems with bacterial contamination. It is fed by groundwater and an inlet from Little Long Pond, and possibly due to runoff from nearby housing developments Long Pond has failed to meet state guidelines in recent years. Massachusetts water quality standards for E.Coli bacteria in recreational waters is 200 per 100ml of water, but samples in 2003 registered between 2,800 and 4000 per 100ml.

That sucks - I'm sure the levels varry a ton with rainfall/run off - but still that's pretty scary. I guess I'm lucky I never got sick from diving there - as I certainly was in the water there during the 2003 season. yikes

OK, after I though about this for a few minutes, I came to suspect that there was no way in he*l that the numbers where that high for Long Pond. In fact, the numbers are from samples taken right from the outfall pipes going into the pond - while this still very, very bad, the actually counts within the pond are much, much lower.

People swim in this pond, if the levels get too high they will post "No Swimming" signs. While I am still leary about the pond - it's not as crazy a situation as numbesr in thousands woudl suggest!

http://www.sixponds.org/Coliform.html

In fact, if you click on the July sample data - the hathaway counts are higher than for long pond.

Just out of curiosity... I've heard that diving is forbidden in Walden Pond. Does anybody know if this is true and why? Isn't it a breach of the Mass law of permitting diving in all public swimming areas?

oceancurrent:
Just out of curiosity... I've heard that diving is forbidden in Walden Pond. Does anybody know if this is true and why? Isn't it a breach of the Mass law of permitting diving in all public swimming areas?

I did not know that diving there is forbidden, but I'm pretty sure that Walden Pond is a National Historic Landmark and probably has special federal protections that supercede state law???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom