Where to test gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do you guys usually pool test your gear?

My LDS...

Poolarea.jpg

The Scuba Connection

Of course I also BUY the stuff there, so that makes it a bit easier!

:D

It might not be ideal depth wise, but a local large chain (Sheraton, Holiday Inn, etc.) hotel with a pool might let you test gear. Failing that, maybe just take a trip to a local quarry, golf course or pond if you don't care about viz. It's not as controlled as a pool, but better than no test.

I did a "try scuba" in Fl for a friend, we just walked onto the pool deck, setup our gear, and climbed in. No one said anything, we figured it was easier to ask for forgivness then permission. the worst they would do was kick us out. . .

or try your neighbors pool while they are at work . . . :)

While it is possible to "test" your new regs without water, using water will make any possible leaks easier to detect. So what is wrong with a bath tub?

hey 21, I just did my new gear check out in my sister's pool, if you have relatives or a friend... it doesnt have to be deep. . . .

....I'm wondering why you waited until JUST before your trip to order your gear if pre-trip-testing was part of your plan ? ...anyway, you're gonna have to go to a stripped-down testing plan 'B', meaning go for dry-testing....air up the BC, see if it holds 'air' OK......test out the BC power inflator (I'm assuming you do have a full scuba tank at least ?)....power up the reg, test the 'breathing' effort....listen for leaks......or write down the 'air pressure', see if the SPG reading holds steady or is losing air pressure over time..........try breathing through the reg with the air 'off', to see if the diaphragm/exhaust valves are leaking so you don't end up sucking in water while diving......power up the computer, make sure you know how to program/read it, and that it appears to be working......understand your weight loading/release system operation....inflate the BC and test all the exhaust dump valves for operation/leaks......and finally, call ahead and confirm rental gear is available on site...that's plan 'C', as it's too late to do any serious repairs/adjustments if you DO now discover a serious problem. If you are an experienced diver, you have recorded in your logbook your prior 'weighting/lead' requirements so you should be able to get close to the correct weighting required, and you can tweak your weighting as needed during your 1st or 2nd dives to get it perfected......if you are a new diver and don't have a clue about your weighting, your destination DM can give you good guidance on proper weighting and you can dial that in pretty quickly in the 1st dive or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom