Where to test gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

21isfun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought a setup from Scubatoys and leave for a 2 week dive trip on Tuesday. I need to find a place to test the gear in a pool before I go, but my university pool where I was certified is closed for summer for repairs. I've heard YMCAs will not let you come on your own with gear because of liability issues. Where do you guys usually pool test your gear?

Your nearest local dive shop. They'll charge you $15/hr. or something nominal and you can test to your heart's content. I always head to the LDS when getting ready for a trip to check out everything in time to replace or repair anything that isn't deep water ready.

I'm in northeast ohio- no LDS in my area has their own pool. They usually utilize a YMCA pool or a university pool (where we did my cert), but my university pool is closed and most of the YMCAs won't let you use equipment in their pool if you're not in a class w/ the dive shop. Our dive shop won't let us come with them just to test our gear when they are doing a class, since their insurance doesn't cover you if you are not currently a student.

Any ideas?

It might not be ideal depth wise, but a local large chain (Sheraton, Holiday Inn, etc.) hotel with a pool might let you test gear. Failing that, maybe just take a trip to a local quarry, golf course or pond if you don't care about viz. It's not as controlled as a pool, but better than no test.

Golf course? Wow, I've never heard of diving at one. Do people commonly dive at golf courses?

People often use scuba gear in water hazards to recover lost balls to sell to driving ranges. I was kind of being facetious with that option.... all you could really do is see if anything leaks and maybe do a limited number of buoyancy exercises. It's not really diving as such, as the ponds are often only about 4-6 feet deep. Odds are the golf course would tell you "no" anyway. Though if it's a golf/tennis/spa/marina kind of place they might have a proper pool as well.

Interesting. Learned something new today! :) Sounds like one of those dirty jobs - with all the algae and scum in those ponds.

Golf course? Wow, I've never heard of diving at one. Do people commonly dive at golf courses?

Pesticides, fertilizers, goose s**t, and other nasty stuff? I'd dive in a nuclear reactor before I'd dive in a water hazard on a golf course!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom