Where's the ladder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netmage

Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I've been looking at some of these pics of the small fast boats down in Coz and I see twin outboard motors out the back pretty much covering the width of the stern.... wheres the freakin ladder go...? Over the side...? Seems like a recipe for disaster boarding such a small boat that way.

BTW - here's a link to the pic I was looking at...
http://www.bluextseadiving.com/divepackages.htm

The twin outboards I've been on have a 3-4 foot deck between the motors.
You won't be climbing over the sides.

Well if you have never done a small 6-pack (fast) boat you will be in for an experience. None of this giant-stride in and up a ladder business!

You enter the water by putting your butt on the side and the weight of the cylinder will pull you in (back roll, hold on to your mask!). Exit is by removing you inflated BCD and weight belt (pull onto the boat by the crew) and then you are dragged up next! I really can't remember a ladder... huh too many cervezas!

If you have never done Mexico... go ahead and do it NOW! I luv it!

A lot of the smaller boats have ladders on the side and are perfectly safe. You will remove your BC/weight belt in the water the DM with haul it in the boat. You then remove your fins and climb on board. It's a good system and it works well. Have been on some slightly larger boats same deal remove gear and them hoist yourself up on the dive deck on the back of the boat. I am a small woman and have never had a problem.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - B. Baggins

Thanks for my post-lunch chuckle.

netmage:
Ok, I've been looking at some of these pics of the small fast boats down in Coz and I see twin outboard motors out the back pretty much covering the width of the stern.... wheres the freakin ladder go...? Over the side...? Seems like a recipe for disaster boarding such a small boat that way.

BTW - here's a link to the pic I was looking at...
http://www.bluextseadiving.com/divepackages.htm

I dove with Christi of Blue XTSea over Thanksgiving (the boat you pictured) and her boat does have a ladder, as do most of the other small twin outboard 6-pack boats I've both dove off of and seen. Entry into the water is a backroll over the side. For exiting the water, the crew hooks the ladder to the side and you climb into the boat. The ladder is in the back on most larger boats, but because of a horrifying personal experience 2 years ago, I now prefer the ladder over the side rather than in back--much safer! :)

Last June I dove 5 days with Deep Blue on several different "fast boats". Most were 6 packs or slightly larger. As I recall, all had ladders on the sides, and they pivoted in and out of the water. Ladder folds into boat for travel, flops over the side for diver recovery.

The one word of caution is that you need to hang onto the hand-rail on the boat (usually on one side or the other of the ladder, usually part of one of the the roof supports) when you climb into the boat. (You just need to listen the instructions the DMs give you.) I made the mistake (once) of holding on to the ladder only and I did a magnificent faceplant (or actually mask-plant) on the bottom of the boat. Imagine me pinned to the bottom of the boat, mask flush with the bottom, legs up over the top rung of the ladder, tank and valve at the back of my head. My training took over, and I laid there for a second assessing how to extricate myself. Meanwhile the DM freaked thinking that I must be horribly injured because I was laying there motionless for a moment. What a sight it must have been.

As long as you pay attention, do as you are instructed, and don't do anything stupid, it all works just fine. Gee, that sounds like most other aspects of diving and life.

Learn from someone else's mistakes; it is much less painful that way.

Just my dos centavos for your eductaion and amusement. (definitely don't try this at home)

Wristshot

squidguy:
Well if you have never done a small 6-pack (fast) boat you will be in for an experience. None of this giant-stride in and up a ladder business!

You enter the water by putting your butt on the side and the weight of the cylinder will pull you in (back roll, hold on to your mask!). Exit is by removing you inflated BCD and weight belt (pull onto the boat by the crew) and then you are dragged up next! I really can't remember a ladder... huh too many cervezas!

If you have never done Mexico... go ahead and do it NOW! I luv it!

I like a back roll entry! Maybe because I've done so few; it;'s different. Two cautions!!

(1) If you wear a weight belt, remove it first, before removing the BC! I've read of divers getting that backwards, sinking quickly, and in panic - not thinking to drop the weight belt.

(2) Keep your mask on and put your snorkel in your mouth, in case you fall in.

Wristshot:
...you need to hang onto the hand-rail on the boat (usually on one side or the other of the ladder, usually part of one of the the roof supports) when you climb into the boat. (You just need to listen the instructions the DMs give you.) I made the mistake (once) of holding on to the ladder only and I did a magnificent faceplant (or actually mask-plant) on the bottom of the boat. Imagine me pinned to the bottom of the boat, mask flush with the bottom, legs up over the top rung of the ladder, tank and valve at the back of my head. Wristshot

Big Boy here removed his weight belt, but not his BC & tank, crawled out up the ladder, the boat shifted, and I fell forward - almost over the other side. I am always removing my belt & BC before crawling into a small boat now. It's is good idea on bigger boats, if the mate doesn't mind. Less weight to haul out of the water, easier on an old fart's knees, less likely of causing even minor DCS.

:shout:Or just grab the tow line, and hollar for them to drag you to the beach! :lol:

don

I would like to let you (and anyone else interested) that the picture of the boat on the website is not a current picture of the boat. Shamu has been completely reconfigured, painted etc. I am currently having my website redesigned as well and there will be updated pictures on the new site.

Entry is a back-roll entry. The ladder on my boat is a very sturdy ladder which is secured to the side of the boat for re-entry. The new ladder is built at a 45 degree angle with plenty of railing to hold onto. You have the option of handing gear up to the captain or climbing on the boat with your equipment.

This is standard here in Cozumel for the small boats and we make it as safe as we can.

Back
Top Bottom