Where's the sin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess I will be the first one to take the bait! The reason no one dies because of DIR is they place the blame elsewhere. There have been DIR people Die they just say he was breaking one of there rules. Too deep on air, No buddy, Unsafe buddy or if all else fails he was breaking rule #6!
I am not anti DIR- I just preffer to straddle the fence. I use DIR concepts and I try not to be outspoken against them. I just think they dont want anything bad placed on them so they live in denial. Oh and the quickest way to piss me off is to approach me on the shore because I am solo diving and tell me I am going to die!:nono: :boxing:

double125's once bubbled...
There have been DIR people Die they just say he was breaking one of there rules. Too deep on air, No buddy, Unsafe buddy or if all else fails he was breaking rule #6!
Oh and the quickest way to piss me off is to approach me on the shore because I am solo diving and tell me I am going to die!
And I'd be the last person to approach you and tell you that... or using Fastex, or diving a stab jacket, or split fins, or anything.

Yes, "DIR people" (do you mean GUE trained divers? WKPP members?) have died, and they died doing something "prohibited". Remember, DIR is the final (rather "current") evolution of a system organized through the analysis of accidents and problems. If someone died or had some other kind of problem, the causes were analyzed and steps taken to prevent it from happening in the future.

Current DIR is solid, and you are highly unlikely to die if it is followed to the letter.

Solo diving is inherently less safe than team diving, when the team is composed of well trained, like-minded, disciplined divers.
Is it less safe than being buddied up with a strange BOW diver on the way out to the Speigle Grove? Perhaps, perhaps not, but a rule #1 violation would (again, to an extent) reduce the odds of surviving a problem.

double125's once bubbled...
approach me on the shore because I am solo diving and tell me I am going to die!
BTW: If you are ever visiting SoCal, Laguna Beach has some of the better shore diving, however, if you are solo diving it will not be me approaching you... it will be a lifeguard, and he will have a ticket in hand. Another ticket if you don't have a snorkel and "octo".

We've nicknamed the little Aavid folding snorkel "The Laguna".

Sucks to live in SOCAL. I would not survive there. I solo with no octo or snorkel. However I dive with 2 tanks 2 regs a bc and drysuit. In the lake I rarely go below 40 ft. Nothing to see or do below there.
DIR is a solid platform as long as you dont get the superman mentallity. Once you start thinking I am DIR and nothing can hurt me that is when you became a stroke yourself and you can fill GI's body bag he carries with him. I agree buddy diving with a team is safer, however not every one of us has that option. I live in an area where I dont know one other certified diver (other than my wife who cant dive because of our son). I dive in the local lake just to log bottom time and keep proficient at my skills. I can either keep my skills up and become self reliant or I can become a once a year diver. Which sounds safer to you? I dont mind talking to people about why I solo, what I dont like is when someone tries to predict my future because I dont dive with a buddy. There are specific hazards to solo diving, I just dont feel that me getting trapped in a rock and drowning is one of them (yes someone has told me that)!
Have a safe and happy dive career!
-John

dont forget, DIR or not, you cant prepare for everything mother nature can throw at you. Parker Turner being a good example.
But i believe it is true that following the DIR philosphy will greatly reduce the chance of a diver dying, however there are never any guarantees....

Well this is an interesting thread. But one of the few statements I could agree with 100% was something to the effect that if your configuration works for you, then it works.

I am a whole lot more comfortable giving a lot of thought to my diving and the specific requirements and risks it involves and then configuring accordingly, than I am adopting a philosophy wholesale because just because someone says. However I am also open minded and do not object to rejecting a long held idea or technique in favor of a new one when one comes along that makes sense for what I do. No one knows it all or has the ultimate answer to every scenario no matter how experienced they are - even if they are DIR.

Ironically tech diving has been responsible for most of the advances in recreational diving. Yet some of the current crop of tech divers get hung up on eliminating all possible failure points. If this had been the case all along, no one would have ever pushed nitrox or trimix to their current levels of acceptance due to the potential to mix them incorrectly and due to the potential for an 02 hit if the wrong mix is used too deep - serious potential failure points. For those too young to remember, this was a big issue and those using nitrox and trimix were widely regarded as irresponsible cowboys and were subject to as much critisim as many tech divers of late like to heap upon others with new or different ideas. That's too bad as it was the willingness to accept the new and different that made tech diving (and rec diving) what it is today.

In my opinion some balance is required, and some folks are just a little too far removed from a balanced, well thought out common sense approach to gear configuration. But I can live with that as I don't tell them how to dive as long as they don't feel the need to tell me how to dive.

To be honest though, I do get a little concerned for the safety of divers of any sort who go from OW to trimix in 50 or a 100 dives - they may have a lot of great training but they have very little in terms of the experience needed to give them the common sense and judgement to use the training effectively. In my opinion training, in and of itself, is not a good substitute for experience.

In other news, I can confirm that in fact the medium sized fastex buckles on your shoulder straps can be easily released in 38 degree water with dry gloves but need to add that small ones cannot be easily undone. Buckles on someone else gear are usually even less of a problem as you can see what you are doing.

I also find fastex buckles to be very useful in getting a tired diver out of their equipment and up the ladder and onto the deck. The diver is also not normally upset at having to re do the buckles for the second dive like they are if you cut their straps after the first dive.

I also have no problem with the reliability of velcroed weight pouches as long as you keep the velcro clean and replace it if it gets worn. It also helps to use an appropriately sized stiff plastic sheet to aid in fully inserting the pouches with your well maintained velcro.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...

I am a whole lot more comfortable giving a lot of thought to my diving and the specific requirements and risks it involves and then configuring accordingly, than I am adopting a philosophy wholesale because just because someone says.

Why do you assume people adopt DIR with any thought? Is it not possible that they give a lot of thought to their diving and realize DIR meets the specific requirements they have and addresses the risks they see?

Cornfed

cornfed once bubbled...
Why do you assume people adopt DIR with any thought? Is it not possible that they give a lot of thought to their diving and realize DIR meets the specific requirements they have and addresses the risks they see?
Most don't, but unfortunately, that is the impression that a few very vocal DIR proponents have given.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
I also find fastex buckles to be very useful in getting a tired diver out of their equipment and up the ladder and onto the deck. The diver is also not normally upset at having to re do the buckles for the second dive like they are if you cut their straps after the first dive.

I would think if someone was so tired that you had to cut them out of their harness, a second dive might be a little stupid to attempt!

Thanks, now I know what those buckles are for: tired, out of shape people that can't get out of their own equipment after a dive.

Interestingly enough, you won't find fastex release buckles on most backpack shoulder straps, because they were not designed to support that much weight (strain) across the buckle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom