Where's the sin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7 once bubbled...
As for the Fastex issue, even Halcyon uses them on their weight pockets.
And they aren't DIR either.

That said, if you absolutely have to have a weight-integrated solution, I would only trust Fastex as a backup to velcro (IOTW: Both).

Taking the JKD kind-of-view. Take the class, do it by their rules, walk away with more skills and knowlegde as you had before. Apply what works for you, discard what doesn't. I firmly believe that's the way to go with most everything in life.

As for your OMS IQ pack, I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are plenty of extended range divers out here using that pack with the plate slid in. If you head to FL you'll see plenty of people doing the same with TranspackIIs. You dive it, so if it works for you it works.

RichLockyer once bubbled...

And they aren't DIR either.
So much for their ad slogan. :wink: No ill will here, I think they're among the better weight pockets out there.
My personal preference is a DUI weight harness. Comfortable to wear above and below, good weight distribution. Integrated? Zeagle's Ripcord system, pretty much the same. Both are a PITA to thread after use, but I never had either one fail. Works well for me.

I just reassembled my Pioneer 27 and was wondering about the effect of a tank rolling over the plastic connector of the corrugated hose...

As to the ACBs, I'm thinking of Ebaying them altogether. Not because of the Fastex. But they're bulky (even with 5+1 #), a PITA to slide in, and don't really allow for a good weight repartition.

Arnaud once bubbled...
I just reassembled my Pioneer 27 and was wondering about the effect of a tank rolling over the plastic connector of the corrugated hose...
Some failure points are mandatory. O-rings, hoses, valves, one buckle....

The point is to reduce the failure points to a minimum.

DIRF is all about what's the "best" way. I think the course instructors and so forth don't care if something is *almost* as good.

NetDoc once bubbled...
we don't live in a perfect and completely logical world. Really.

Each and everyone one of us has faults and shortcomings (me probably being the worst of all). Some of these are expressed in some individuals as an illogical rejection of certain items including gear choices.

Finding a good instructor is tough. You might need to put up with a bit of "crap" in order to get one suitable. I bought my second set of wings just because I know that MOST cave instructors hate the "Bungeed Wings o' Death". I have enough foresight and acumen to NOT cause controversy where it might have a negative effect on my training experience. It's part of the "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie" theory of diver training. You don't have subscribe to that theory, but I do. So yes... I am serious.

That is absolutely correct, the world is far from logical.
however, if some instructor does not like brand X for no real reason other than for example 'my diveshop doesnt sell it' then the solution is NOT to take that crap but to find another more
professional instructor IMO.

if on the other hand they can give me a reason that can be backed up with some facts, then i have no problem considering buying something else.

springstraps versus plastic buckles
one piece webbing versus plastic buckles
long hose versus short one
hose routing to name a few

jonnythan once bubbled...
DIRF is all about what's the "best" way. I think the course instructors and so forth don't care if something is *almost* as good.

i still think it should have been DIB and not DIR, it is all about trying to Do It Better :D
it is walking on shaky ground (not sure if this is proper english but you know what i mean :wink: ) to say something is the 'best' way, thats why i dont usually run around yelling 'YOU'R GONNA DIE if you dont do so and so' :D

sheck33 once bubbled...
i still think it should have been DIB and not DIR, it is all about trying to Do It Better :D
it is walking on shaky ground (not sure if this is proper english but you know what i mean :wink: ) to say something is the 'best' way, thats why i dont usually run around yelling 'YOU'R GONNA DIE if you dont do so and so' :D
Maybe, maybe not, but history has shown that you WON'T die if you do everything following DIR guidelines. :devil:

RichLockyer once bubbled...

Maybe, maybe not, but history has shown that you WON'T die if you do everything following DIR guidelines. :devil:

Oh look... a can of worms... honestly, I don't see anything wrong with opening it...

Back
Top Bottom