Where's the sin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had one come apart underwater. It got sequezed open with a cross arm movement. It didn't break, and I managed to get it back together without issues.

I had both of them wired shut for the next dive.

We can argue all day about this that where when. The data is there and no it is not my responsibility to copy paste every report. That is part of learning - getting the information, however it is a fact not fiction that the buckles are a potential failure point, and if you want to have these failure points on your BCD, then that is your business and your choice. I kind of like life, so I will go without the failure point. That's my choice

if you want to start digging out the information do a search for cave diving fatality reports, and similar queries and you will be amazed at the data you will find.

Dive what you like and be happy! I tried to get away from that style just because of the bulk and the inherant(?) buoyancy. They just dont feel as comfortable as a standard harness and leave room for air to get trapped thus requiring more weight.

I am not DIR by any means but I do believe GI and JJ did some studies on how the chest strap affect resperation and how it makes you more suseptable to micro bubbles. Look at DIR sites and watch there videos and you will see why a lot of this stuff is reguarded as vodoo.

Just another opinion from a lowly little peeon.

have probably never had to do a real rescue. They really facilitate extracting an unconscious diver from their BC. I love them for that alone. My Chute II (which I use for single tank diving) has them, and I feel no need to "wire them shut" or replace them. However, my BP & wings does not have them due to the nature of the harness.

Now DIR Tech Diver... I would not want you to cut and paste everything just as much I don't want you to regurgitate everything you hear from someone and then repeat it as "fact". BUT, (the problem with the world today is big BUTs) I do expect you or anyone one else who makes a statement of fact to be able to back up that fact. If you can't than I will relegate your "fact" to being just another unfounded opinion. Deal with it.

Double125... was this the same "study" that determined that horizontal off-gassing is supposed to be the best? Unfortunately, I hear of too many studies, and never a reference to follow up on them. There are a ton of Urban legends out there about off-gassing, this and that but no real data to fall back on. If you can find the reference, I would be most appreciative.

I have scissors for cutting people out of there equipment if needed. I agree with GI on this one:Don't sacrafice safety for comfort on the surface! ( and no I cant find a reference for that statement either LOL)
As far as where the study is located I dont have the time yo hunt it down but you can try and find it At the wkpp site, gue or any site that has links to DIR. I dont keep track of every website I go to.
Just like I cant quote a passage out of the bible but I can reference most of the stories in it. It is not my responsibilty to spoon feed people but I can give them the insight they need then they can validate for themselves.

After reading all of these posts it looks to me like the ONLY argument against the oms iq is the quick-release buckle.

(Iq pack for those of you that dont know what one looks like)
http://www.omsdive.com/backplate.html

Now lets look at this in a logical manner. Lets say one buckle did break the bc is not just going to fall off your back! it may go a little lopsided but the chest strap,shoulder strap and cummberbud will still hold the bc in place.

Another thing you might want to think about is if you have the iq pack with a bp. . . all you would need is the harness($125 roughly) and you would have bp/wing setup. I dont know if this is correct but after looking at the oms site the backplates are the same along as the wings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom