Which BC: Oceanic Excursion, Aeris Atmos or the Knight hawk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got the Atmos XT (only two dives) WOW this BC really exceeded my expectations, loved the hybrid type inflation. Got a great deal on it too, $299 on divers-supply.com. The dumpable weight pockets are a bit clumssy to get out, but over all it is so streamline I can't complain.

Diving_is_a_passion:
For being streamlined, the bp/w is the best. It has no inherent buoyancy (actually, the buoyancy is 3-6lbs negative, so less weight in the pockets. Instead of having 2 completely independent BCs, just have 2 wings; it will also save money in the long run.

The Atomics are also good regs. If you compare them to the high end scubapro regs, you will notice an incredible amount of similarity. The founders of Atomic Aquatics were ex-scubapro engineers. Around the world, the Scubapro is more common and easier to get serviced. Definitely go to local shop for regs. idk if you live in cold water, but if you do, go with a diaphragm first stage. These are more suited for cold water. For the price of just the B2 1st/2nd stages, you could get a MK17/G250HP regulator or the new (supposed to come out very shortly) MK19/G250V. The difference is a swivel in the first stage and a metal air barrel in the G250V. When you get into doubles, the MK19, MK25 and atomic regs all have some of the best hose routing because of the bottom port. For any water over 50 degrees, go with MK25 with S600/G250HP/G250V

Between the 2 computers, I would go with the VT3 although there doesnt seem to be much difference between the 2

below is a pic of new SP reg from UK site:

Thanks for the pic

I don't meant to interject where I obviously have little experience, but I have just bought an awesome BC for very little $$. My LDS even told me it looked like a very good BC and that is saying something coming from a Scubapro diehard and a stickler for detail. Granted, it isn't "finished off" (roll collar, bungee chords) as well as the nighthawk or ranger, the design and implementation are very good and the quality is excellent. And for $165 plus shipping, you can't beat it... You can find the web site here... http://www.scubal.com I bought a Cratos from their international shop as opposed to the Orion (same BC really) from their american shop. I'm going to start a Q&A about this BC in another thread, so look it up if you want more details.

I have a Ranger and love the ability to dive singles or doubles with it. This BC is very expandable. There are different bladder options available, for single and double tanks. There is plenty of metal D-rings. I have dove mine with doubles and stage bottles attached and there were enough attachment points for all the tech gear I needed. I did ultimately get myself a Deep Outdoors rig. that I use exclusively for tech diving here in the North East. IMO, the Ranger would make an excellent choice for someone like yourself that has aspirations to go tech. It is something that you can start with, growth with and modify to meet your needs. In the future you may decide to go with a BP w/ wings type set up, but this is a good option to get going with your training.
:D Just my thoughts

I have a Knighthawk that I use often in certain circumstances. I also have Halcyon BP/W I use in other circumstances. I really enjoy both BCDs, so I won't get into that debate.

Four things, I believe, make the Scubapro far superior to the Excursion, although the Oceanic product is a fine BC. The first is how far the weight pockets stick out in the Excursion. I find it makes for odd weighting and to get comfortable I have to throw more weight in the trim pockets in back. The second is the integrated weight system itself. I think the Scubapro weight integrated system is by far the easiest/simpliest/most effective one on the market: simply slide and clip. No goofy velcro, space age releases, or limiting cables to thread. Try the Excursion system vs. the Knighthawk and you will probably agree. Third is the lack of clutter and excessive d-rings on the knighthawk. Lastly Scubapro's tank bands are the best and easiest to use on the market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom