Which BCD knife to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oki Dirt Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
First off I'd like to say hello to everyone here! And secondly, I was wanting to get opinions on what brand of knife to get for my BCD. My eyes are starting to glaze over from looking on the internet so I thought I would get some input from you guys on what would be the best choice to get and why!

Thanks.......Kerry

No brand suggestion (you'll get plenty of replies) but ... Try them, and/or make sure it has a good latch to hold the knife in .. I've replaced my UK Trigger knife 2 times already because the scabbard is not the best at retaining the knife
Also, try it out on cutting a zip tie, mine felt really sharp , but even brand new it would not cut a tie strap as easily as I thought it should ... It will now :)

Welcome to the Board, Oki :D

Just to confuse you a bit more .........

don't forget to look at EMT shears. I carry both EMT shears and a folding lockback knife and use the shears far, far more often.

Can't help you on brands. The knife is just a generic sort of folding knife with a blade lock, and with a stud protruding from the blade so I can easily open it one handed. About $10 at most dive shops.

I have a little remora on my inflator hose. It never gets in the way and my hand can find it without thinking. I tear it down twice a year to clean under the handle and notice it is starting to rust- no big deal but my next will be the TI version.

something in titanium low maintenance, no rusting issue. Pro Mate are pretty inexpensive compare to the bigger knife brands.

I have a 6 inch knife that I used to strap on my lower leg. I do look like a "cowboy" with it. Lately I have been diving without a knife because I am feeling embarrassed with all the comments to my "over kill" knife. Maybe I should also upgrade to a tiny hide-away knife which I can hide in my BC.

A friend of mine once told me, after he got tangled up in a fishing net, the bigger the knife the better and if it is ti big for the lower leg strap it to your torso!! :rofl3:

Thinking about it, maybe I should upgradeto a 8 inch blade. :rofl3:

I don't think Titanium is a must, to be honest. It's just more expensive. If you take good care of your gear/knife, a stainless steel knife will do you just fine. I have a Blue Reef stainless steel BC knife that I love to death. The blade is only 3.5 inches, which makes it just enough to get myself out of a jam with if necessary. It's also pretty good for opening up clams on the beach, lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom