Which compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

having the high tilt tolerance allows the suunto to be somewhat usable even in the southern hemisphere still up until about the tropic of capricorn ie for northern oz/fiji/tahiti. its middle/southern oz/NZ and SA where you would want the southern hemisphere version for better accuracy. my guess is the FS2 splits the difference more (rather than being weighted towards the northern hemisphere) so you get a bit worse accuracy for say Alaska and Scandanavia as a tradeoff to be usable in SA/NZ still.
Could very well be the case. For me, the FS-2's extra advantage is that I can easily switch between the rubber strap when I'm in my drysuit and bungee if I want to without having to get another mount.

Exactly: you have to switch out the boots for different mount options. Nothing wrong with the Suunto compass though...

Oh I see DGX has a tilt potential of 10 degree only. Suunto has 30 degree. Altough DGX is less bulky I will buy the Suunto, 30 degress is perfect.

Thanks for all the posts.
Dive Gear Express offers two compass products, the "Tech" and the "Deluxe Pro." The Deluxe Pro is more like the Suunto, having a 30 degree tilt potential.

Yeah I've got probably about a dozen shitto compasses with from excess bubbles slow discs
rusty inside with seawater and leaked out to completely fluid empty for no user issue reason

So I count on these or anything cheaper these days

Twenty four dollars, wow wee

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Did they forget to imprint the Sunnto logo on this run

Who knows how to use a compass anyway, and do you need getting past the moon accuracy

And anyway by land or by sea, as much as I like to pretend, it's reciprocal heading at the start
as all you really want what you really really want is to be right back at the start at the very end

Scubapro FS-2 has a 35-degree tilt angle and is slightly less bulky than the Suunto (Scubapro: 61 x 31 mm; Suunto: 60 x 34 mm). I like the fact that the FS-2 is usable in both hemispheres (whereas the Suunto is only in one, I believe).

You can have mine for the price of postage, it's only a few years old, but full disclosure: it points North the same way a broken clock shows the right time: twice a day.

I tested Suunto's tilt angle. 30 degrees is a lie. 25 degrees is the ultimate limit, sometimes it workes, sometimes not. 22 degrees always work fine. So in my wording the tilt angle is 22 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom