Which Fins/Mask for $200?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm no expert but I think a dive fin derives a lot of it's propulsion from the extra "snap" that longer fins generate. A good example of this is the recommended free dive fins suggested above. I've seen a freediver once with Cressi Gara's - they must be almost 3' long. He could move thru the water very efficiently - but they probably flexed about 8-10 inches or more vertically.

It's probably not needed for snorkeling for the average person so there's no reason to make them longer.

If you look at designs like any of the split-fins or any of the hinged designs sold by Aqualung, ScubaPro and others - they use the extra fin length/hinged flexibility to produce more thrust. Nature's Wing - who patented the split-fin design everyone uses - has a series of videos/demo's on their website showing how they control and maximize the vortices their fin produces. Force Fins use a different technology with the same results - they even sell adjustable "whiskers" so you can fine tune the effect.

Your $$ but I'd never buy those EVO's to dive with. You also don't generally see dive fins with that big of a cut-out - I suspect to mimimize the drag when retracting the fin on the surface.

I've only ever seen socks worn inside full-foot fins for comfort. And boots with open heel fins. I suppose it's possible but I don't see any advantage. I've also seen things like 5mm neoprene socks with some tread on the bottom. I do a lot of shore diving as well as boat diving so I buy boots that have at least some harder tread on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom