Which gear do you recommend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO it you can find a confirmed good deal on gear that you would consider buying new; it is worth it to further check out the used gear deal. I have bought new and used gear and been pretty happy with all my purchases. In FLL there are lots of options. As several of the prior posts suggest, rent for awhile and see what fits you for comfort, confidence, ability, etc. The dive ops and shops sell their rental gear...you may be able to save some money this way.

This summer my brother bought a Zeagle BCD and a nice reg (I don't remember the model, but pretty nice) for less than the cost of a new Zeagle Ranger. He found the deal out of Fort Worth in the DFW Craiglist. We met the seller and brought a tank to test the gear. They didn't quite know what to think when my brother was trying on the BCD in the parking lot of that Chick Fil A but all the gear tested fine enough to make a deal.

There are lots of sources to shop, price and purchase gear. Take advantage of all of them and talk with the people where you dive, other divers, trainers, and the staff at your LDS. There is plenty of shallow diving to enjoy in your area. Dive safe and enjoy.

Fjpatrum: I am not sure I completely agree with you when it comes to a new diver: I do agree that an experienced diver can get great deals on used equipment: both of my regs are used as is one of my computers but I bought them when I had a lot more experience than the OP.

I had a buddy who purchased a used BC and found that the wing had a leak: he was experienced enough to inflate it and test it out in his bathtub before jumping in the big water: had he not done that, who knows??

Hence the statements "Do research here before you commit and make sure the gear is still serviceable or the price is reasonable" (that should have said "and the price is reasonable") and "Have all used regs serviced properly after you buy them..."

At this point I am still a complete novice. I have less than 20 dives. The whole "new divers shouldn't buy used" is more of the same nonsense. New diver or experienced diver doesn't matter. What matters is the mindset and how you do your shopping. If you just buy based on name and don't inspect/verify the gear you're buying, then you're not doing yourself any favors and you'll find gear that needs work. If you don't get used gear serviced, either by a pro or DIY, then you're just being stupid. Plain and simple.

The only people who shouldn't buy used are people who aren't comfortable inspecting gear themselves to make sure they aren't beyond repair. Whether they simply don't want to or don't know how to those are the only people I will recommend buy new. Gear simply doesn't fall apart that easily. I will say make sure your local shops can service specific gear before you buy it, if you're unwilling to service it yourself. I also believe any monkey can service the gear if they spend a couple hours researching and reading the right books.

I buy everything used and service it all myself (except my first set of regs, which I had a shop service when I bought it---I'll service it from now on, and tanks, which are not cost effective for me to service myself). I have now rebuilt 2 BCs (one by necessity for a small leak and one by choice to convert it to a wing) and 3 sets of regs. Anything else I just replace rather than repairing... gauges aren't that expensive and it's easier (and cheaper-usually) to replace them than to repair them.

When I bought my first set of regs I hadn't completed OW. I breathed off them, from a tank, before I paid for them. I spent over an hour talking to the guy I bought them from, who happened to be a tech instructor. I got a reasonable price (not great) and then I got them serviced. No problems.

I've bought I think 6 BCs now, used. Only one of them actually had leaks that needed repairing. All the others have been perfectly fine. That is an especially easy issue to spot. Can it be inflated and does it remain inflated for at least a few minutes? Is the bladder still supple or is the rubber dry rotting? Is the nylon/cover in reasonable shape with the D-rings/connections in decent shape? The newest BC I have is 15 years old. I had one newer, probably 8 years old, that I sold to another SB member.

The newest Regs I have are around 15 years old as well. The oldest is from the late 60s. They all function perfectly well under water.

PS: Sorry for the delayed response, I missed your post.

Most of my gear is 2nd hand but I had it all checked out at LDS before going into the water with it... I hope no one would dive with a used reg they have not had checked/serviced first!!!

The problem with buying on Craig's list is that you won't be sure anything you purchase will actually fit or if it will really be in good working order. As a newbie to the sport, you'd hate to buy a regulator and find out on your first or second dive that it needed to be serviced when it stops providing gas when your 30 or 60 feet underwater. If I were a new diver and trying to get up the learning curve, I'd probably go to several of the fine local dives shops in Ft Lauderdale and tell them that you are new to diving, not yet ready to buy and get their recommendations. Also, subscribe to one of the scubadiving magazines and track the reviews on different gear over the next six months. Additionally, go out on a couple of different boats, rent the scuba gear and keep track of which brands you liked better than others. Talk to some of the other divers on the boats and find out what they like and don't like about their gear. After you've read some, visited several local dive retailers, talked to some local divers and rented several different gear sets, you'll be able to hone in on what you are interested in and then buy from a local shop.

Once you really know what your doing, you can probably purchase from Craig's list or e-bay. But I'd recommend you wait until your a bit more experienced.

As an aside, Diver's Direct does carry some very affordable wetsuits (their EVO brand) which I've had a lot of success with. They also seem to have pretty good prices on fins and masks too.

Also from a cost standpoint, Scubapro's discount brand Sub Pro seems to have good prices: I've never used any of the gear but would consider it if any of my stuff wears out.

If your abnormally tall (6'5 and taller) I'd make sure the gear the shop lends out fits you. I had to buy my BC and Wetsuit prior to class because the stuff they rent out flat out didn't fit.

Last year I bought an AL80 from a Craigs List seller, who met me at BHB to make the transaction. It was a good deal..not phenomenal, but pretty good.

Last week I took it in for a hydro and my LDS pointed out markings that made me call around and discover to my deep dismay that it was stolen. I returned it to it's rightful owner yesterday.....so I'm kind of down on buying from Craigslist right now.

That being said, over the past couple of years I've picked up some weights, a dive knife, and an old spear gun (more as a public service to get it away from the guy who had it, but that's another story) through CL without a problem.

I wouldn't recommend a new diver purchase anything critical to life support from CL or Ebay - at least without planning on fully servicing same before using it. I suggest that BC, regs, and cylinders probably need to be vetted through a dive shop or a trusted experienced dive friend before plunking down your hard-earned bucks.

I also like the idea of trying a few different things out through shop rentals an friends before purchasing. My buying decisions when I first started would not be the same choices I'd make now.

Of course, all of this is IMHO.

the only gear i have ever bought new was hydro vips and air. lol o wait i just got a new mask. i use old gear i get on the cheap and just rebuild it.

Aqualung has a wide range of products that fit every budget. Many shops sell their rental gear after 6 months of use. You can get some great deals. We buy and sell gear all the time on Ebay. Buyer beware of course, but we have never had a problem and have gotten great deals. Wetsuits: don't break the bank on an expensive suit. I have had expensive suits wear out before cheap suits. There are bargains out there. Go to sierratradingpost.com type wetsuits into the search function. They blow out Camaro suits at ridiculous cheap prices. They are fine quality and made in Austria.

Rent from your LDS to see what you like.Everyone has personal preferance i like to buy new with a good warranty and a company i trust. you are on the perfect forum to do loads of research.the lds i use in flbts is Gold Coast Scuba - Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Florida ask for steve or brian they are not high presure and will do rentals. We dive that area a lot off the beach checkout our meetup your welcome to join us anytime you like Danielle's Dives - About Danielle's Dives go to the blog section or pm me.
rich

I've gotten great deals from Leisure Pro. I got a package deal with a Tusa BCD, regs, and Pro Plus 2 computer for under a grand. I did try the BCD/reg with my dive instructor first, but Leisure Pro does has an easy return policy. Of course, you are near Divers Direct. They have some good specials there too.

I'm looking for steel HP120 tanks, and I can't find a better deal than Leisure Pro (new with free shipping $339). If I lived in Florida, I'd buy used. Shipping is a killer from the Florida sellers.

Buying new equipment is a for suckers. I just saw a new, unused poseidon besea sell for 257.00 on e-bay. I got my Zeagle Ranger in great condition for $200 including shipping. Make sure the seller will take it back if it is defective. Most will. It's not hard to find a Sherwood oasis with primary/octo and console for under $150. Even with a complete rebuild your way a head of the game.

There are a lot of people who buy top of the line equipment, use it a couple of times and for whatever reason never use it again. I can't tell you how many tanks I have received for free.

Do your homework and be patient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom