Which gloves and hood for drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not an expert (never tried the 12mm or thicker hoods), but you might consider wearing an eighth-inch thick neoprene "ice cap" underhood along with whatever 7mm hood goes well with your drysuit.

Combined with my 7mm DUI hood, I find it very effective down to the low-30's. I don't expect to get into colder water very often. :D

I use Henderson, but several other companies make them.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-28/022135/HENDERSON-ICE-CAP.html

It has a smooth surface that seals very well around the face and covers most of it, leaving only the lips themselves exposed. The lips don't get cold easily because they are so well vascularized.

With a regular hood, it's usually the tissue near the lips that gets cold first, but that's enough to reduce circulation to the lips themselves, allowing them to get numbingly cold. That just doesn't happen with the ice cap covering those adjacent tissues. I was amazed!

Also, the mask skirt seals on top of the underhood, then the smooth surface of my DUI hood seals on the top edge of the skirt and on the underhood around the face.

I have finished long dives and found most of the underhood still dry when I took it off! :11:

You may find it quite versatile in that you can go without the ice cap when the water gets up to your comfort zone. I wear mine in water as warm as 60 degrees, then go with just the 7mm.

It's probably a little more trouble to don two hoods instead of one thicker hood, like a single 12mm, but it's worth it to me to have such a great seal and almost complete coverage of the face.

Dave C

dave4868:

Bring out the Gimp!

(sorry, couldn’t help myself. For really cold water and ice diving, these are great)

I use the Viking "combi" hood system, it's a dry latex hood that has the additional advantage of a quickly replacable neck seal.

Marvel Catalog, Viking Stuff

I feel that Hi-tide makes the warmest hoods, Bare makes the most comfortable hoods.

Hi tide makes great gloves, the scubapro gloves are really nice also.

jumbo

Tassie_Rohan:
Bring out the Gimp!

(sorry, couldn’t help myself. For really cold water and ice diving, these are great)

That's me! :D

Hey, when are you going to post some dive reports about the interesting diving you're doing?

Like the "flooded city in China" and "joining an expedition doing the first ever dives in Lake Hvosgol, Mongolia".

Those sound like great diving experiences! :)

Dave C

[thread hijack]
Hi there Dave -
Just completed the mongolia expedition to Lake Khovsgol in Mongolia last week - found three wreaks and did a number of firsts. Will post some time, and theres a documentry and a few magazine articles on their way...
[/thread hijack]

Should I remove the zip on the mouth of my gimp mask prior to using it for diving?

Back
Top Bottom