Which Great Barrier Reef Island has best coral and top views

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moose016

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be traveling to a GBR island for a few days with a group and I am probably the only diver. The others might snorkel but will be more concerned about the topside views and accommodation. I have spent a week on lady elliot island and really enjoyed it, but I would also like to try somewhere new. Right now Heron Island is probably in the lead, but I'm also looking at Green Island and certainly open to others. I will probably try to avoid Whitsunday lslands because I will do a sail through there and see those. It doesn't look like there are really any islands on the outer reef.

So basically what I am looking for is coral that that is in good condition and has good diving, good top side reef views and beaches and an upscale resort preferably that you can reach by helicopter or plane. The cost isn't really a concern. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks

Probably Lizard Island if you want access to the best remote dive sites like the Cod Hole etc. far north and exclusive resort. short boat ride to the Cod Hole as opposed to over night departures from Cairns.
If you want shore r small boat dives off of the Islands themselves but not too worried about the Ribbon Reef areas, look at Heron, Lady Musgrave and Lady Elliott Islands.

I have been diving in Thailand, Fiji, Vanuatu, Hawaii, Cairns, Byron Bay, Cozumel, etc. and Heron Island is still my favorite place I have ever gone diving. I was there for about 10 days back in 2008 at the University of Queensland research station. The island is beautiful. The reefs surounding the island are extremely healthy and full of life. During this time I saw mantas, reef sharks, rays, eagle rays, logger head turtles, green turltes, octopus, and even a 14 foot Tiger shark. Even snorkeling the harbor trench at sunset is a real treat. I wish someday I can make it back there. Heron island is accessible by helicopter, I am pretty sure they came in from Gladstone atleast once a day. Lizard Island is on my bucket list though.

Thanks very much for the replies. Seems like Heron Island might win because I've already been to lady Elliot and Lady Musgrave is camping only I think. Good to hear a positive review of Heron Island, I'll try to spend a few extra days to get in some extra diving

HERON ISLAND!!!!!! My partner and I spent a few years working there and the diving is awesome..if you can afford it Wilson island off Heron has some of the best snorkelling in oz..totally unspoilt!!

Back
Top Bottom