which inexpensive-ish computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

versa pro and atmos 2 are exactly the same computer, but the versa pro is a $20 cheaper from scubatoys. when i was choosing a computer not so long ago i got the versa pro with cable from scubatoys. if you call and ask for a scubaboard discount they will usually give you a further 10% off, which is what i did and got this computer and cable shipped to my place for under $300.

it's a good value for money. though in hindsight i might have bought aladin tec or something like that which is a better for certain types of diving involving keeping the computer in gauge mode. i really like the cable though because i like to download my dive profiles to inspect them afterwards and to calculate my average depth, SAC and other things like that.

I have a Mares M1 it is a bit clunky (big) and all made of plastic, but mine works great and it runs on 2 AAA batteries, talk about easy to change batteries in the field. It comes in wrist and console mount. Mine is wrist. It has Nitrox and the RGBM technology. It has an optional computer interface. It is real easy to use and has great big numbers.

There is no question if I had millions I would go for the more slick models from Suunto but when we are all on the dive boat reading our computers, my M1 shows the same data as a Suunto at twice the money, just mine looks like it was built by Fisher Price, and their computers look like fine Swiss watches, (OK I have computer envy).

Most people just want to know the log book data like depth and time, and of course you make sure you have not exceeded your limits on your next dive.

You can get the Mares M1 for full retail on Ebay for $250 any time, but if you wait they go used for $150 all the time. You can also get the cousin -- the Dacor Darwin brand new for about $180. (Darwin is a Scuba Labs best choice award winner), the low price I am sure is because, Dacor has new owners and it is had to say how stable the company is now.

*Floater*:
versa pro and atmos 2 are exactly the same computer, but the versa pro is a $20 cheaper from scubatoys. when i was choosing a computer not so long ago i got the versa pro with cable from scubatoys. if you call and ask for a scubaboard discount they will usually give you a further 10% off, which is what i did and got this computer and cable shipped to my place for under $300.

it's a good value for money. though in hindsight i might have bought aladin tec or something like that which is a better for certain types of diving involving keeping the computer in gauge mode. i really like the cable though because i like to download my dive profiles to inspect them afterwards and to calculate my average depth, SAC and other things like that.

I just got my Versa pro, gonna get it wet for the first time this weekend. What's wrong it's gauge mode?
Jason

If you are only going to have one computer stay away from the air integrated style. If the computer goes south ...so does your ability to have a spg. This could be a problem on a live-a-board or a trip away from home. I prefer a wrist mount, but the consol Aeris models are pretty kool. I had to replace an Aeris model and received EXCELLANT service from those folks!

If you are into researching some of the different algorithms that the computers run, then suunto uses their own RGBM which I prefer.

I have a DR Nitek duo, an Aeris Atmos 2, and a Suunto Vyper. All of these are easy to read and do nitrox and should do fine for any type of diving that you may do.

Just my .02$

Pyrofish:
I just got my Versa pro, gonna get it wet for the first time this weekend. What's wrong it's gauge mode?
Jason

The gauge mode is pretty good as far as most computers go, but it doesn't display seconds which are important for timing satefy/deco stops accurately (the aladin tec has a stopwatch function), and it doesn't show average depth which aladin tec does. the method i was taught in my DIR-F class for non-computer diving involves keeping track of average depth so it would be useful if a bottom timer did it for me for greater accuracy. right now i just note my depth every 5 min and use those numbers to estimate the average. However, for computer diving i still prefer the versa pro over the aladin tec because the deco algorithm is more to my liking.

I am really pleased with the Versa Pro I got from Scubatoys.

another vote for the Atmos 2, wrist mounted

Atmos 2. Bought it from Scubatoys about a year ago, has been a great computer.

Since you're looking at these hockey puck computers, another one that is "excellent" is the Genesis React Pro--if you can get it cheaper than the Atmos or Versa, you would not be giving up anything...but my feeling is that these computers are not very low profile for a wrist mount (unless there have been updates I'm unaware of)--they are however great in a console. If you want a very nice low profile wrist mount, perhaps consider the Uwatec Aladin prime. But for a console, I'd take the Genesis--great little computer.

My son and I have been diving with Versa-Pros for 3 years now. Large, clean display, easy to read, reliable and simple to operate. I'm not much of a gadget freak. The fewer options, bells and whistles, the better. Battery life has been outstanding. We're about to be Nitrox certified. I'm glad it's compatible. I'd also be disinclined to have an air-integrated unit in case of failure. You can always dive by the tables, but you can't go down without a pressure guage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom