which inexpensive-ish computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check the manufacturers web sites, some of them let you download the owners manuals, which may help you in your decision. That's what I did, and ended up buying the Suunto Gekko. It has a few less bells & whistles than the Vyper, but it's a very nice computer, is nitrox capable, and it won't break the bank. The Suunto RGBM algorithm is rather conservative, just so you know, but I see that as being a good thing.

Thanks all. Great fast info. So in the top list are the Atmos 2 (wrist - for some reason the console is not at such a nice price) or the Versa Pro - either wrist or console. Nice thing about the pucks is they are cheaper and I can decide if I like console or wrist better. I dont usually wear a watch so it might be annoying. But so is fiddling for a console. I figure since I have to have a console for nav/air I might as well put the computer in there. But maybe I will prefer the other way. Just dont know yet. I would certainly like a wrist better if it were a stylin' watch but I dont dive enough to justify the cost.

Agreed relying on air-integ. for only instruments is probably bad, so maybe the Mares is out. I will try to check out the manuals for the two others and see if I can pick based on that.

Thanks!
Jeremy

jeremyl:
I am a newish rec. diver. Since I get to go on ~1trip/yr for about a week, and renting a computer is about $10-15/day most places I figure it might be worth grabbing one (esp since I have ~8days of diving in Bonaire coming up). So what would be the recommendation for something not too bank breaking.

UWATEC just came out with a new computer. Aladin ONE. The information are not on their website yet but I have attached a press release document for your information. Might want to check with your LDS for more information.

Hope this helps.

I recently faced the same decision betwee the Atmos 2 and Versa Pro. I ended up choosing the Atmos 2 because I preferred its display. Since I wear contacts, I like the fact that is has large print (in case I loose one.) Also, I preferred the size and style of the indicators. For example, I can see exactly where I'm at in terms of ascent rate (e.g., 2 of 3 in the green) on the Atmos 2 since it has discreet "bubbles" on the side. The Versa Pro doesn't have the discreet indicators, just a colored bar on the side.

Do give Larry a call. He's wonderful to work with.

Don't know about your eyesight but tiggy's comment about reading the displays is very important. My eyes have deteriorated over the years and I have to have a reasonably large display. When my Aladin Pro battery ran out two weeks ago, I borrowed a friend's Suunto wrist computer. I could barely read the display numbers.

So I think I am down to two. Either the Verso Pro Console ($270) or the Mares Airlab ($335). With either I will add a retractable compass (~$50) . I dont like having a big clunky console like the Mares will be with compass - and I dont often wonder off where I need a compass. (on the versa maybe I will add the compass on that since it isnt then tooo bulky, is it???).

Nice on the Mares is the QD (extra $60 on the Versa). I am a techy nerd with an EE masters, so the complexity people talk about on the Mares doesnt frighten me. Having an AI being my only source of info doesnt bother me too much. I take very good care of my stuff, and if something goes wrong the dive is pretty much over anyway.

To answer previous posts - my eyes are pretty good. Young healty 30yr old. Gotta love it :wink:

So - what is the final advise??

Thanks! Jeremy

Keep in mind that you have two wrists. :) One for computer and one for compass. Then you don't need a console, just a SPG.

Late on this thread.

My wife and I have Atmos 1s and have been very happy with them. A basic computer, good display, easy to use, and inexpensive. Since they're our own, we always have a familiar computer that we are diving with. The only thing I wish it had was a backlight. But, I don't do much night diving and it's never really been a problem reading the display. I can do without the alarms/beeping. I figure, I should be checking my gauges/instruments often enough not to need a audible reminder.

To give you a perspective on our diving style, my wife and I are a "2-5 diving days on vacation" once or twice a year couple. Maybe 10-15 dives total a year. We're probably never going to get Nitrox certified. So, we were fine with saving a few bucks on an air-only, basic computer.

Since you don't dive that much, you might also consider renting from your LDS, and taking it with you on your annual dive trip. My LDS rents wrist mount computers for $15 per week, air or Nitrox. Before I had my own gear, I also rented BC and reg from them for a trip. Total cost for the week was about the same as 1-2 days at the dive destination. With your own gear comes the cost of maintanence, as well as the initial cost.

Gary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom