Which of the following is your preference for side mount, and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In terms of what I specifically like about the K-2, I look for sort of an "all arounder" in most diving rigs. I'm not taking all my **** off and and scrunching through super tiny stuff, I'm probably not doing double stage dives with that rig, probably not putting a sidemount CCR on it--it's just pretty comfortable for "normal" OC cave diving. Goes on and off easy, the wing is the right shape and the buoyancy is down by your hips where it belongs. The weight pocket along the spine is perfect --we have sewed something along those lines into our homemade sidemount CCR rigs for a while, so that's a detail I appreciate. I'd have had a much harder time getting it set up right without Edd's input, he'll randomly film me while teaching some students and surprise me with it up on the big screen when I go over there--the "Eye of Sauron" . . . "Well that needs to move up and this needs to be shorter" and so on.

Draker is likely up there too, but I haven't seen his class in person in a while.

While I have not taken a SM-specific class with James, I can't recommend him enough. I did my CCR crossover with him and his class was solid and he is a great instructor. Not many instructors I've seen are as put-together in the water and out of the water as him.

I guess webbing can be replaced with softer altertnative #caugh# Halcyon.
Or did you find whole rig stiff af?
Just the webbing I have issues with. Been replacing my x-deep webbing with softer alternatives from Piranha

Renting sm gear is a horrible, horrible idea. You go to class with a unit already half set up, you get shown how to set it up, you'll likely not remember 65% of it, then you have to go home to set up your own unit. The best part of a class is learning how to set up YOUR sm system for the first time so you can go out and dive and eventually if you want a different bc, you have the knowledge from experience and class to set it up.
DO NOT RENT SM GEAR FOR CLASS. Trying stuff is different. But try stuff, buy and get it set up properly in class so you're not dicking with it at home.
That’s like guidance ‘don’t sign up with a bad cave instructor’. Great advice. Can you point me to the master list of bad instructors that people who are not already involved in the community can easily find? Sidemount gear isn’t a $10,000 rebreather, but throwing away a grand because you didn’t understand why you’d want brand x is never fun.

That’s like guidance ‘don’t sign up with a bad cave instructor’. Great advice. Can you point me to the master list of bad instructors that people who are not already involved in the community can easily find? Sidemount gear isn’t a $10,000 rebreather, but throwing away a grand because you didn’t understand why you’d want brand x is never fun.
There’s no master list. But I regularly will discuss instructors with people looking for an instructor and will give my guidance based on experience or seeing their classes at dive sites.
Find a shop to try a bunch of sm gear. But don’t use rented sm gear for class. You are doing yourself a disservice

Renting sm gear is a horrible, horrible idea. You go to class with a unit already half set up, you get shown how to set it up, you'll likely not remember 65% of it, then you have to go home to set up your own unit. The best part of a class is learning how to set up YOUR sm system for the first time so you can go out and dive and eventually if you want a different bc, you have the knowledge from experience and class to set it up.
DO NOT RENT SM GEAR FOR CLASS. Trying stuff is different. But try stuff, buy and get it set up properly in class so you're not dicking with it at home.

When I started cave/SM training I rented a lot of the gear at first as I didn't know what I would like or dislike, but the one thing I didn't rent is my SM rig. I did my research and bought a rig, and then did a day up in Marianna to get it setup.

When I started cave/SM training I rented a lot of the gear at first as I didn't know what I would like or dislike, but the one thing I didn't rent is my SM rig. I did my research and bought a rig, and then did a day up in Marianna to get it setup.
Regs and whatnot I get. But the best part of a sm class is experimenting and adjusting your own rig then going home and just diving the hell of it. Even with years of sm experience, it takes me a while to set up a new rig exactly how I like it. Edd does it in 15 minutes while taking calls, lifting weights, and filling tanks

Another vote for buy your sidemount rig before the class. A big part of the class was getting the harness dialed in for trim. Find out what your instructor dives and buy that. I like the xdeep stealth and have moved on to building my own harnesses, but it makes a lot of sensible choices. I found Andy Davis' articles on sidemount useful.
Sidemount Diving Articles | Andy Davis

throwing away a grand because you didn’t understand why you’d want brand x is never fun.
This right here ^^^^^^^. This is exactly why I asked what I asked, for multiple people to give me their honest opinions on a couple particular pieces of equipment that was already narrowed down to through research.
I have well over 10 grand in equipment sitting in my garage already. I do not mind spending on gear, what I do not like to do is waste money on something that I end up not liking. This is why I seek out other peoples opinions, hoping for honesty on mistakes that they feel like they made in their purchases so that I and others can avoid that.
Yes, I am well aware that I can dive exactly what my instructor dives, that he likes his gear and that it fits him and meets his needs absolutely perfectly. The problem is that it fits his needs, not mine.
I am looking for a good, solid, starter set up that I can modify by removing or adding to it to fit my exact needs, wants, and fit. Just like lostsheep has done.
I am grateful to each and every one of you that offered up your opinion, just as I asked of you, I hope that one day I will be able to pay it forward as well. Thank you!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom