Which port should I choose for my E-PL3 housing for using 60mm Macro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a E-PL3 user and want to get a 60mm macro for underwater photo shooting, the problem is that the standard port for the 4 LED lights PT-EP05L is not big enough to fit in the 60mm lens, may I know what is the best solution as of this moment for using 60mm in my E-PL3 housing?

The original port from the older PT-EP01 and PT-EP03 (and also the new PT-EP10) fit the PT-EP05L Housing.

Now this part is not available as a standard part, BUT is available to service centres.

I posted in a earlier thread the part number you need is: VG657900

PT-EP03.jpg

Hope that helps.

Thanks Rich, this is very helpful. Do you happen to know approx price?

maybe you want to consider the Zen port WA-100 which is great quality glass, allows for addon macro with the adapter and a bit of velcro, and gives you better FOV with other lenses such as the kit lens or WA lenses. A bit more expensive though...

Hi Nudibrano, I have the Zen port already, but putting a decent Macro lens behind a dome seems a bit odd.?

ya, I feel the same way, but haven't seen any new port design for the 60mm macro yet

You won't - the PT-EP05L is 'dead' in terms of Olympus development. Your only options are:
1. Source the above 'old' port from a PT-EP01/03/10 and fit.
2. Get someone to make a port for you

Zen Underwater have no plans to make a 60mm port, as the current Olympus housings (ex the PT-EP05L and PT-EP06L) quite happy fit the 60mm, so the market for the port would be very small.

I have a PT-EP03 Port (as mentioned in my post above) on order, hopefully be here just before xmas. With that, I can use all the lenses the E-PL5 can use.

""Hi Nudibrano, I have the Zen port already, but putting a decent Macro lens behind a dome seems a bit odd.?""

Why? Underwater, a well designed dome should always be better quality-wise than a flat port but you lose the FOV by about 30% with a flat so if you are trying best magnification you generally prefer a flat port (but you may be able to focus closer so...). However the 60mm has already a large focal length (even too large if you think that I have the 45mm and sometimes I wish i had less for some small fish...). I have used my zen with the 45mm to simplify my switching of ports and frankly I would have not bought the 45mm except for focus delays in the large space between the port and the lens. Instead you should have a proper distance for the longer 60mm lens and I hear the 60mm is much faster to autofocus (reason I am considering buying it).

With the zen I could just switch for the 9-18 WA lens and for the 45mm macro without changing ports. After seeing the results I never used again the flat kit port from Olympus and used the zen for the 9-18, 14-42, 45mm lenses.

The magnification should be about the same behind a dome you will just need to get closer. I agree that using a macro lens behind the dome will render great results, not so much if you are trying to add a closeup lens. The 60mm is much longer than the Panasonic 45 macro so hunting on the port glass should not be an issue.

Phil Rudin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom